To Drive, Fly or Hitch a Lift?

geoff-r

I have a bit of a dilemma here and it should be easily sorted but I'd love other peoples opinions. I'm due to go snowboarding at the end of January next year in St Anton, Austria, a resort I've never been to before. I have 3 options and they are as follows:

1. Book a flight,

2. Drive the 370 :D

3. Hitch a lift with the girlfriends parents.

There are pros and cons for each and here they are:

Flight - I can't get a flight for under £250 on the saturday to Austria, with the girlfriend that's £500 between us for what is a relatively short flight and one that we can do on the friday for half the price, return. The friday is a no-go as we both have work and the apartment isn't booked until saturday so going for that one means I need to factor in a hotel (another £50 or so at the very least).

Drive - now this should really be the one, it was my first idea. Cardiff to St Anton is a 900 miles drive (1800 miles round trip). Petrol will work out roughly the same as flying, maybe a little less but we need to factor in any tolls (I'm not sure of the total of tolls from here to Austria) and the channel crossing. Really I would far rather drive than sit in some tiny plane in cattle class. Plus I get to take the car through Germany and put it through it's paces. I have no problem driving to Austria, plus the girlfriend is insured on the car too so she can do the boring bits haha. The problem is when I get to Austria and to the resort. Apparently by law I must have snow chains and in the owners manual snow chains + 19s don't mix. Is this right? I don't really want to drive all the way over there to be slipping all over the place as I know how much of a handful the Zed is in snow.

Hitching a lift - The only con of this is it's majorly boring, I have to sit in the back of the girlfriends parents car, my iPod might run out haha.

Advice and opinions please :)

I have a bit of a dilemma here and it should be easily sorted but I'd love other peoples opinions. I'm due to go snowboarding at the end of January next year in St Anton, Austria, a resort I've never been to before. I have 3 options and they are as follows:

1. Book a flight,

2. Drive the 370 :D

3. Hitch a lift with the girlfriends parents.

i only skimmed over your pros and cons as my mind was made up by this point of your post....

which option has a big smiley face next to it???

thats what i'd go for. hitch that lift for your luggage so the car doesnt get weighed down. :D

Have a local garage stock up on studded rally tyres in your size :D

Driving my Z back from Germany last December was a mare and a half as I spent 17 hours in the car due to the heavy snow (RWD + snow = slow progress + other idiots making tailbacks of a few miles to get stuck in)

Best just hitch the lift in the back and invest in a carcharger for the iPod.

Save the driving trip for the summer and visit the Nürburgring :D

i only skimmed over your pros and cons as my mind was made up by this point of your post....

which option has a big smiley face next to it???

thats what i'd go for. hitch that lift for your luggage so the car doesnt get weighed down. :D

I'd keep tje luggage in tje car for traction on the snow...

Hitch a lift man :D

Get completely wasted abuse the inlaws and fondle the missus then pass out :#1:

Thats what I would do :drunk:

Haha I'd love to see your family holidays! I think I may hitch a lift with the missus parents. Might be the cheaper although sleeping pills don't work on me, I took 4 nytols on the way over to canada, coupled with as much alcohol as I was allowed and I just could not sleep, needless to say when we got over the other side I felt grouchy as hell.

I'm planning to go round Europe in the car next summer anyway, might do Modball so maybe I should just save my time for that at least I might get some traction. I think my mind has been made up now, think I might invest in an iPod car charger then :p