Chrysler Crossfire

Leenx

Its a car based on an old and not very good chassis (Merc SLK) and it's too bling for my own piece of mind. I think that really the closest rival to the Z has to be something like the S2000 for the Roadster and maybe a Cayman S or new TT for the Coupe.

I for one know which car I prefer, although I would have liked a Porker there are just too many of them around.

Gimicky IMO. Overall, I wouldn't say I dislike it, but they've tried to be quirky and got it a little bit wrong on the styling front. The bling looks a bit cheap too I think.

I'm sure you could make one look quite nice. Agree on the old technology of them though.

I would have said before last weekend the Porsche Boxster/ Cayman were the nearest competitor for the Zed, but after being lent a Boxster S for a week, I can confirm that it is absolute garbage compared to the Zed..

A friend has a Crossfire , it seems a bit lardy arsed next to the Nissan

Agree with all above except that the Cayman S is somewhat a catergory ahead in terms of cost & power. On Wednesday I drove one around Radlett & A1 & the car was immensley fast with sublime handling. Loads of grip & from 30 tp 40mph upwards it was immense :scare: Almost like a 911 (non S). The 911 S is another beast altogether :scare::headhurt: But I suppose the Cayman S at £50k is a good £20k more than a Z. The Bmw Z4 3.0i coupe a more modern rival.

I looked at the Crossfire while shopping for my eventual Z. On the whole I wasn't much of a fan of the styling, the cabin seemed (relatively) cramped and the driving experience was far less involved.

Horses for course of course but in my case I just didn't think the thing acted or drove like a 300 Bhp+ car should.

G

I quite like the look of the Crossfire but wouldn't even contemplate swapping for the Zed. As someone says yesterday's Merc?! I've never been in a Boxster S or for that matter Cayman but would imagine they are pretty amazing cars. I have a mate who lives in Bristol who owns an R Reg 996 who had a play in the Zed. Deep down I think he secretly lusts after it and when you put the two cars together they don't look too dissimillar. I've seen the new shape TT on the roads - gotta say I like it - just like when the original came out (before they became as common as fu** - I once owned a LHD import) How would the new TT stack up against the Zed?

2 months ago Evo mag did a head to head & overall the Audi was a more technologicaly advanced & well put together, better quality car especially the new fancy gearbox. But the Z came on top as the Audi lacked feel & soul & was ultimately a boring, lifeless though hugely efficent car.

Agree with all above except that the Cayman S is somewhat a catergory ahead in terms of cost & power.

Power is the same???

I read a head to head of the Cayman S against the Zed in the Sunday Times. Summation was take the Zed and put £10k plus in th bank.

Agree, I would save £10k or more definitely :D

Ok maybe power not the right term, instead more acomplished sports car, especailly handling & speed through corners.

Power is the same, but the Cayman S is getting on for 200kg lighter from memory, so performance isnt the same.

I love my Zed to bits but would consider the Cayman S if funds permitted.

Anyway, isnt it more than £10k difference once youve added all the options you get as std with the Zed?

The driving experience would be different. I'll point out that I haven't driven a Cayman S. It is a mid engined car so the weight will be in different places and it would effect the grip. Similar but a like for like.

I honestly don't think there is a main rival to the Z. Think 300bhp front engined V6 RWD coupe for 30k?

You can compare it to others but nothing i can think of is the same. Closest would be the crossfire but it's far too...... gay?

Agree, I would save £10k or more definitely :D

Ok maybe power not the right term, instead more acomplished sports car, especailly handling & speed through corners.

Power is the same, but the Cayman S is getting on for 200kg lighter from memory, so performance isnt the same.

I love my Zed to bits but would consider the Cayman S if funds permitted.

Anyway, isnt it more than £10k difference once youve added all the options you get as std with the Zed?

Yeah, that's why I put £10k+, I think it's over £15k if you spec it up to GT standard.

I thought I'd like the Cayman S from the launches and pictures, but a mate has one next door to him and I reall ythink they look a bit odd. Bizarrely, the door handles are too low on the car!!

Anyone know what the Top Gear track times are on them??

Drove a crossfire (well, two actually - manual and auto) when we started looking for a 2 door sports car. Very nice, helpful salesman. Did 4 extended testdrives - one each for my wife and I in each car. Pretty cheap 2nd hand now.

I expected to hate it, but it was quite good in isolation... cheap looking silver bits though.

And then we drove a Z. Just no comparison - the crossfire doesn't even come close for driving experience, quality feel etc.

My shortlist was basically S2K or a 350Z

I hate TTs and I thought the Z4 looked girly. Boxster was too expensive to own and M3s had too many seats!

The S2K was excellent but just too revvy. I would have lost my license revving the nuts off it to get anywhere. I also like the 6 cylinder engine, effortless and smooth. 4s just don't do it for me!