Professional audio installers, YEAH RIGHT!!!

Zugara

OK, I am looking to i nstall a Double din HU and thought i would ask a local "car Audio" company for a quote.

Now bearing in mind that these guys are "professional car audio installers" it makes you think.

Extract taken from my emails. Company name removed.

Its like a builder, building you a house but not being able to put the roof on!!!

The text in red is what made me concerned with a professional outfit doing this work.

----- Original Message -----

To: sales@southampton.co.uk

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 4:21 PM

Subject: Enquiry from Southampton site

Hi,

I am looking for a double din, (touch screen if poss) installed into my car:

Nissan 350z 07. Roadster

Car is currently equipped with the Bose system and with steering wheel controls(which i want to retain. Wheel controls)

Also have voice over satnav(factory fitted)

Could you please quote for a budget system and installation?

I want to retain the speakers and sub, which i am led to believe have their own amps on each speaker?

Paul

--------REPLY------

Sent: 08 July 2010 4:47 PM

To: paul c

Subject: Re: Enquiry from -Southampton site

I take it that is the Nissan Factory Sat nav you have fitted ??

----- Original Message -----

To: 'Sales'

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 4:57 PM

Subject: RE: Enquiry from Southampton site

Yes, Sorry factory fitted satnav.

Paul

-----REPLY-----

We can offer a solution but reg only problem will be that it will not play the sat nav voice !

Kenwood Double din Screen + Parts £650 fitted

Regards

END.

I looked at a couple of local shops when I wanted mine upgraded, was shocked at the lack or expertise and/or confidence in their own abilities when taking on the job (which was simpler than yours, no factory sat nav).

Eventually I did it myself, up to a point. When I finally gave in I rang a mobile tech local to my work who wandered into the car park, nosed at the wiring for 10 mins then explained (in great detail) exactly what the problem was and how to fix it.

He'd never worked on a Z before but sat in his van fabricating the necessary loom parts and it was all over in an hour. Just goes to show that it's not always the case that someone with a pretty shop front is going to be more capable than the bloke in the Astra van and dirty overalls.

thats a standard issue with trying to wire OEM satnav through a new headunit. several people have already found this out.

i don't think there is a specific output that can be re directed into a headunit.

I would have thought that the pro, could do it if its as easy in this topic viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37580

I was suprised at the reply TBH. I am good with most things, but electrical in cars.....Nagh, its gonna go up in smoke for sure.. :lol:

I looked at a couple of local shops when I wanted mine upgraded, was shocked at the lack or expertise and/or confidence in their own abilities when taking on the job (which was simpler than yours, no factory sat nav).

Eventually I did it myself, up to a point. When I finally gave in I rang a mobile tech local to my work who wandered into the car park, nosed at the wiring for 10 mins then explained (in great detail) exactly what the problem was and how to fix it.

He'd never worked on a Z before but sat in his van fabricating the necessary loom parts and it was all over in an hour. Just goes to show that it's not always the case that someone with a pretty shop front is going to be more capable than the bloke in the Astra van and dirty overalls.

The thing is, that the guy in the overalls HAS to make a living from his/her trade, and will find a way of doing a job correctly, where as the Pro in a fancy shop really dont care too much as he/she gets paid at the end of the month regardless of how well they have performed.

I would be more inspired by the overalled chap than the smart shop front. :headhurt:

thats a standard issue with trying to wire OEM satnav through a new headunit. several people have already found this out.

i don't think there is a specific output that can be re directed into a headunit.

I have kind of done it. I have wired the sat nav into the aux input on my Alpine headunit. To hear the sat nav voice i have to select aux input but i dont find it an issue as i dont use the aux input.

To fit a headunit your looking at the just over £60 for the fascia and looms. Then i'd fit it myself, it really isnt that hard.

I have kind of done it. I have wired the sat nav into the aux input on my Alpine headunit. To hear the sat nav voice i have to select aux input but i dont find it an issue as i dont use the aux input.

To fit a headunit your looking at the just over £60 for the fascia and looms. Then i'd fit it myself, it really isnt that hard.

All those wires erghhhhhhhhhhhh! makes me shiver... :blush:

shouldnt really be alarmed by that, by double checking on here you can find out from peoples past experiances and see if they know what there on about, also they have been honest with you and not just told you that they can do it.

I had a similar issue m8,

So called professionals. made a right bollox of mine. Brought it back with no SATNAV voice, had three goes at it and the cannibalised the Bose to fix their ****-ups. Been sorting out the things they didn't do ever since.

Cheeky gits charged me for 2 role of Dynamat £100 quid and when I had someone to look ot it later they'd used about 1 sq foot.

I don't mind naming and shaming them it was R.A.M. Wakefield. Too many problems they made to list, But to finish on a flourish they delivered my then 3 month old Z back with a damaged front wheel. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Thing is I've just got caught out again with my body kit, which lasted on the car 3 weeks. Why can't people just say it's beyond them and let you be on your way. They seem to substitute ambition for ability. I know the Z is not a Lambo, but I worked hard to get it and harded to keep it. All We want is so called experts to take care and do the work we pay for. :thumbs:

I think your being a little harsh on the company. To get the factory sat nav is far from a 'standard' job, blame nissan for that. It required lots of hacking around, splicing into the existing looms etc. There are no off-the shelf adapters which can be used to do it.

With modern cars mostly being multiplex unless you know exactly what cables to touch you stay away. You can easily blow up ECUs by connecting up the wrong wire. That little mistake can then costs hundreds to put right. There is a big difference between someone doing it them selves because they are taking all the risk into thier own hands. I would also be interested to know how long they spend researching which are the right cables to connect etc. If you add all this time up and then ask a company to do the same I bet it would not be a small charge, which I am sure you would then say thats a lot of money just to connect a few cables up.

I think your being a little harsh on the company. To get the factory sat nav is far from a 'standard' job, blame nissan for that. It required lots of hacking around, splicing into the existing looms etc. There are no off-the shelf adapters which can be used to do it.

With modern cars mostly being multiplex unless you know exactly what cables to touch you stay away. You can easily blow up ECUs by connecting up the wrong wire. That little mistake can then costs hundreds to put right. There is a big difference between someone doing it them selves because they are taking all the risk into thier own hands. I would also be interested to know how long they spend researching which are the right cables to connect etc. If you add all this time up and then ask a company to do the same I bet it would not be a small charge, which I am sure you would then say thats a lot of money just to connect a few cables up.

Sorry to disagree m8, but If they'd said from the outset they didn't know how to do it. I could have walked away. Instead they brought the car back and rang me later to ask if the satnav talked. Poor customer service.

I found out later they'd been ringing the local Nissan dealer when they realised they cocked up. On a £2000 job this is not acceptable. Hard on them, it was harder on my wallet for the job and the wheel repair after they denied it. :thumbdown:

Sorry to disagree m8, but If they'd said from the outset they didn't know how to do it. I could have walked away. Instead they brought the car back and rang me later to ask if the satnav talked. Poor customer service.

I found out later they'd been ringing the local Nissan dealer when they realised they cocked up. On a £2000 job this is not acceptable. Hard on them, it was harder on my wallet for the job and the wheel repair after they denied it. :thumbdown:

My Post was in relation to the original post (note the post times being very close)