Spec me some cleaning products!

friddela

Hey,

Not at all experienced in all this detailing stuff :) but was wondering if someone could put a quick list together for me. I'm not looking at spending too much and just essentials really.

I need a good drying towel, wash mitt and some microfibre towels.

I currently have Autoglym Shampoo, Polish, Fast Glass and a Protection. I don't know whether this stuff is any good if you lot will recommend I buy some better stuff.

Apart from the above I'm looking at getting Clay bar, maybe a tyre dressing and some wax. Well, at least I think that's about right to get me started, if anyone can point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated!

Cheers :thumbs: .

Same as you mate,

For the last 12 months I used Autoglim with a maguiar's mitt, I recently contacted Tim @ Envy valeting, I told him what I was using and what I was looking for and he sorted me out, he also took the time to explain me whats what and what to do.

So far i got, rim wax, Dodo need for speed wax ( similar to autoglym easy to use but better quality/result ) and mcguiars clay bar.

:thumbs:

If you're happy with the autoglym stuff then there is no point in ditching it. You can replace it as you run out.

To be honest if you want decent budget stuff buy meguiars.

The megs tyre dressing (purple stuff) is pretty decent and not too much cash.

A good drying towel can be had from Envy Valeting (site sponsor) but I'd personally avoid the likes of the megs water magnet.

Clay, you can try the megs stuff to get a feel for it. Or you could order the likes of sonus green or even bilthamber soft clay.

Wax is personal. I honestly wouldn't spend a fortune until you are confident that you'll do it justice by preparing the surface properly. The likes of a dodo panel pot would be a good thing to get so you can get the feel of it without spending a fortune.

The kit every person should need:

2 Buckets & Guards - https://www.envyvaleting.com/products_info.asp?id=147 (not those ones in particular just showing)

Dodo BTBM - https://www.envyvaleting.com/products_info.asp?id=124

last touch - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing ... d_225.html

drying towel - https://www.envyvaleting.com/products_info.asp?id=164

Clay - Take your pic i'd go for https://www.envyvaleting.com/products_info.asp?id=129 on good paint

Lime Prime -https://www.envyvaleting.com/products_info.asp?id=113

Wax of your choice - Any of the Dodo range

Quick Detailer - Red mist Tropical or Zaino Z8 been my favourites.

Biggy,

Is the Lime Prime instead of polish? or is it polish?

I put a basket together and it's coming out at £150 :(. I guess it will last me quite a while.

Lime prime is a pre wax cleanser, it cleans the paint and creates a surface ready for wax to be applied, Lime prime has got a few abrasives in it, so it'll give it a little bit of cut to remove light swirls, lime prime light hasn't got any cut and will simply cleanse the paint :thumbs:

You only really need polish if your cars in a very bad way.

I think there's too much fancy crap being mentioned. Stick to basics mate and as your experience of cleaning the car grows, you will find out if you want those extra product's. I bought lot's going by other peoples recommendations and to be truthful, they mostly sit on the shelf unused.

I bought Bilthamber Clay from Stews recommendation I believe, on another thread. Great stuff which you can use with just a water bottle spray, no need for lubes.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ are doing a deal on a large drying towel just now. It's on the main page. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but hey, it's only a towel.

Ive bought a load of stuff and will just give it a go on Friday when I'm off work.

Ive bought some maguires aggressive clay because there is tree sap and what looks like bird droppings that I want to get off, nothing major but can see it.

I bought that drying towel aswell thats on offer, about 100 5* ratings so must be good. Will probably take me all day and make my back ache but looking forward to it :).

:scare: you bought aggressive clay! hope you have used clay before, becasue clay can damage the paintwork!

Clay is bacically clay with abbrasives in. the more abbrassives the more aggressive it it, but also the more likely and easier it is to marr you paintowrk. (basically mark it) the best way to remove this marks is with a machine polisher... If you are going to use it, make sure you use loads of lube between the paint and the clay.

From What knowledge of cleaning gear you seem to have, id start small.

2 Buckets

1 wash mitt

A good quality shampoo

Mild Clay

Clay Lube/ Quick Detailer

Wax Cleanser, (and why does everyone have to say Lime Prime, there's so much more abouut than that!)

and finally a decent wax. Your choice, personally i prefer hard waxes.

Then the usual tyre shine is you want it etc etc

Start small, dont just jump in buying it all knowing what nothing does.

Now for my question, it was regarding the order in which I wash it, may sound stupid but want to get it right. I believe it goes a little something like this:

Rinse.

Wash with Shampoo.

Rinse.

Clay with Last Touch.

Rinse?

Lime Prime

Wax

Detailer

Not to sure whether I rinse or even maybe wash again after clay but I believe the rest is right.

Can I clay everything, windows and wheels included?

Is a grit guard completely necessary? I forgot to buy a couple, obviously will be doing the two bucket method.

Cheers.

Now for my question, it was regarding the order in which I wash it, may sound stupid but want to get it right. I believe it goes a little something like this:

Rinse.

Wash with Shampoo.

Rinse.

Clay with Last Touch.

Rinse?

Lime Prime

Wax

Detailer

Not to sure whether I rinse or even maybe wash again after clay but I believe the rest is right.

Is a grit guard completely necessary? I forgot to buy a couple, obviously will be doing the two bucket method.

Cheers.

I gave mine a good clean at the weekend and I didn't bother to rinse/snowfoam again after claying for the simple reason that I couldn't be bothered, but it turned out ok.

I thought that the wax was supposed to stop the dust and water marks from the rain marking the paintwork? It rained last night just 3 days after I waxed with Supernatural and its covered in both dust and rainwater marks. I'm a bit annoyed after spending 6 hours on it at the weekend!

of course its going to have watermarks and dust on it :lol: such is life im afraid. the wax will make the water bead though and run off of it rather than sitting in puddles :thumbs: looks pretty B)

if you dont have grit guards just make sure you dont dip to the bottom of the bucket or kick the ater up to much and you'll be fine :)

let the wax sit for a while to cure before adding the detailer and sealing it in

you can indeed clay the windows, leaves a good finish which rain x repellant can be put on to bead the water off the glass :)

Rinse.

Wash with Shampoo.

Rinse.i would also recommend rinsing using just an open ended hose rather than a spraygun or something similar as there is less water to dry off the car as most of it runs off :thumbs:

dry

Clay with Last Touch.

Rinse?

dry

Lime Prime

Wax

Detailer

Cheers.

just added a few things in red mate. i don't have grit guards either, just don't go to the bottom of the bucket and swirl the water too much and you'll be fine.

As said, let the wax settle before adding the quick detailer, i usually leave it until the next day (12 hours ish). Oh and when you wax it i find it easier to use the mr miagi method of wax-on, wax-off for 2 panels at a time car rather than wax the whole car then buff the whole car, it just makes the wax easier to buff off. (e.g. wax the bonnet, then wax a front wing, then buff the bonnet, then the wing, and so on.)

enjoy mate, it's a lot of work, but very satisfying when you're done. :yahoo:

Thanks for that! :thumbs:

I just forgot to put the drying bit in but was going to do it.

I'm borrowing a pressure washer to do the initial rinse then will use an open ended hose for the others.

Cheers for the tips on the wax :).

Just waiting for them to arrive, I was told they will be here today but I need to leave for work at 1245 latest :(.