Scooby gone now looking for a Z

garygttdi

What to look for in a used Z.

Not keen on autos and hate silver sorry to all those who have silver cars, like the bronze and the blue and the white, however enough of that what should I look for in a used car. Looking at late 2003/4. Apart form HPI and full History anything that they suffer from. I have driven a couple with modified exhaust and I have to say guys I thought my Scooby was loud but Z do not lend them selves to mods on exhaust systems. The noise was horrendous and not pleasant at speed were as Scooby was.

Anything wrong with a grey import apart from Jap documents?

Any assistants or advice would be welcome before I part with my hard earned.

Gary GTD ( its OK I drive a MK6 Golf)

:drive1

Good choice bud :thumbs:

Zeds can sound very, very nice with the right exhaust on, believe me - there will be plenty along to back me up on this. I have an import and have no problems with it other than the normal bits and pieces - plenty of info on here. If you have any specific questions though fire away - i'll do my best to help you out, as i'm sure the others here will too.

PS :welcome: to the forum

Hey mate, first of all the official colours are sunset orange, azure (blue) and white im not sure!

Most of the Z's are manuals, i have a manual and love it! :thumbs: Look out for stiff gears particularly 4-5-6 and also check for clicky rear axle, a common fault with the Z! (Can hear a click when moving off specially when from revese to first apparently - must have the window down though!

id personally get the GT pack as it comes with all the nice extras - heated seats, bose sound system, leather seats, cruise controll and handsfree button on the steering wheel!

If money is no object go for the facelift version, the first change to the z was in 06 with a 296bhp model over the standard 287 and the 07+ have 313bhp although the torque figures are different on each model and the pre 06 Z's have more torque stock than the newer models.

With the facelift versions you will get a slightly nicer interior and on the 06 a different bumper with 2 larger slats, bigger xenons and LED rear lights and some other small changes... i think the zorst note is louder on 06+ stock exhaust too :yahoo:

with the 07+ you what the 06 has plus a bluge in the bonnet and there is a light around the ignition i think.

Dont count out the import models as you can get some nice deals on them :thumbs:

Good luck :thumbs:

oh and sorry! :welcome:

firstly. welcome.

second exhaust notes. Scooby exhaust, as much as i love it too, i have to say its only like that due to the unequal length headers. if you got a performance equal length set then the noise would go. As for the 350z exhaust note, how on earth can you not like the noise of a V6? 'V' engines have the best sounding exhaust notes. you dont see astons, lambos and ferraris etc using a 4 pot turbo or even straight 6's.

Pretty much agree with the above regarding what to look for. So get out there and get buying.

the zed's V isn't the best sounding V at all tbh, and if you go for a JDM then the exhaust note is practically none existant.

A lot of JDM owners, myself included, have swapped the crappy JDM box for a UK box - far better!

Oh, and Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I have checked with one importer in Southampton and not much coming in from Japan at the mo I would have to order and 3 months to wait. I wish money were no object however I do have a budget to work to so a 04 car is going to be my limit. I must have driven a bad one, as the noise was so bad I could not hear the salesman talking to me above the din. I like some engine note but not noise for the sake of it.

Not overly fussed about leather as you end up slipping and sliding and burn you backside in the summer and freeze in the winter ( yes I know they are heated).

Thanks guys will keep looking any tips on were to look, Pistonheads, ebay, autotreader ?

Thanks Guys very helpful as before. :thumbs:

if it was that loud it must have had a crap exhaust on it, something like the Japspeed K1, which is just a big pipe, makes loads of noise but sacrifices the note

Just keep looking on ebay, autotrader etc as you said, you know what to look for, clicking axle, gears and thats about it, FSH is a gooden too. Dont be put off by slightly different shade bumpers/ plastic parts, there all like that for some reason, paint must react differently on plastic too metal.

Did you try these guys..

http://www.westmoorsmotorcompany.co.uk/12295/index.htm

This is where i got mine from last year, got it at a really good price too :thumbs: Worth giving them a ring, they had about 20-30 zeds around when i was last there.

+1 on load exhaust - stock exhaust on import is so quiet you can only hear the engine and road noise (especially on stock tyres).

Welcome to the forum.

Zeds can sound very, very nice with the right exhaust on, believe me - there will be plenty along to back me up on this.

Agreed. Nismo & the Borla would be amongst my favs for the 350. Pricey, but very nice acoustic notes.

http://www.westmoorsmotorcompany.co.uk/ ... cklist.htm Think they have gone bust mate tell no is off and stock list does not load, or my PC is shot. I think a lot of importers gave gone to the wall in the last 12 months something to do with exchange rate!

The search goes on certain something will pop up as you guys say ,shame about the import market as you say you often get more car for your money :headhurt:

http://www.westmoorsmotorcompany.co.uk/12295/stocklist.htm Think they have gone bust mate tell no is off and stock list does not load, or my PC is shot. I think a lot of importers gave gone to the wall in the last 12 months something to do with exchange rate!

The search goes on certain something will pop up as you guys say ,shame about the import market as you say you often get more car for your money :headhurt:

Wow, i'm surprised by that, these guys were the wholesale importers supplying a lot of so called 'importers'. They had hundreds of cars. Last year they opened direct to the public which is when i jumped in and got a bargain. It's sad to see the import scene like this, between the mrs and me we have 3 imports and swear by them (low mileage, no rust etc...).

Good luck with the search, hope you find a good one :thumbs:

Hi you could check them out the web site is still up although that proves nothing, any attempt to open the stock list and it just hangs, like its not there. Tried the phone number unobtainable. Will try asking BT to check it.

All signs are they have gone!

:doh:

Hi you could check them out the web site is still up although that proves nothing, any attempt to open the stock list and it just hangs, like its not there. Tried the phone number unobtainable. Will try asking BT to check it.

All signs are they have gone!

:doh:

Same thing here, site inoperative and phone number not active. Either they went bump or they went back to wholesale only, which is what they were doing before the recession - trading to garages only. Shame, i saved a huge amount of money buying direct from them, looks like I did it at the right time. I even got the cv's changed under their warranty, CS said he had no problems getting the money from them.