Vibration when braking

Impressed

After reading this forum I suspect I have a case of Disc Thickness Variation. Went to Arnold clark nissan this morning and they said "Because the car is 2 years old with 22000 miles it would probably not be covered under warrantee because it would not be classed as a manufacturing defect.

The car is still on its first set of front break pads and front tyres.

There is virtually no discernable lip on the edge of the discs.

Most of the 22K has been motorway miles.

I realise discs could be classed as consumables, but at this mileage on a 30K car?

Surely the material is none uniform if it is wearing at different rates to cause a varying thickness.

Not happy.

Toyota replaced the discs on my celica at 52000 miles for the same issue without question.

What do you guys think?

After reading this forum I suspect I have a case of Disc Thickness Variation. Went to Arnold clark nissan this morning and they said "Because the car is 2 years old with 22000 miles it would probably not be covered under warrantee because it would not be classed as a manufacturing defect.

The car is still on its first set of front break pads and front tyres.

There is virtually no discernable lip on the edge of the discs.

Most of the 22K has been motorway miles.

I realise discs could be classed as consumables, but at this mileage on a 30K car?

Surely the material is none uniform if it is wearing at different rates to cause a varying thickness.

Not happy.

Toyota replaced the discs on my celica at 52000 miles for the same issue without question.

What do you guys think?

Yes you may well have DTV ;) but you need a full diagnostic check to exclude other causes of vibrations on braking.

Nobody will cover brakes after 2yrs under waranty :p And 22k miles is more than reasonable for severe wear and tear to have developed :p Eg trackdays :lol:

No lip means nothing. First, you need to do a proper inspection and measurement of the rotor thickneess and both in and out pads as any of them worn can cause this symptoms.

Secondly, replace what needs replacing if at or beyond wear limit. But if there is lots of rotor left then get it skimmed as its the only definitive cure. Use Procut :thumbs:

If you are getting a new disc then get run out checked and skimmed if way out. Also replace old pads for the best surface "marraige"

You can generate DTV with a lot of motorway miles if the callipers are not releasing fully and you are getting light contact between the pads and disk over long periods.

This would lead to hot spotting on the high points on the disc and a phase change in the material at the surface which can be hidden as a few brake applications can remove

the surface discolouration. You can sometimes spot the these areas as they are slightly darker grey than the surrounding material. If you're lucky a run through a decent

bedding in procedure will help but normally you'd need a light skim to remove them. You need to get the disks measured for run-out on the car as this will give you an idea

of where to look to stop it happening again.

It would be no use getting the disks skimmed off the car if the problem lies in how they are mounted when fitted as you'll just get the same issues again, there was a thread

on having them skimmed whilst on the car which gave good results IIRC.

Most modern brake pad materials don't rely on a transfer film to work as the metal content of the matrix has been pushed up to give them a larger temperature envelope but

you can get surface deposits at high temperatures.

Thanks for the info people.

The Nissan dealer is going to ask nissan if they will replace them as "a gesture of good will"

Not holding out hope.

I am probably going to get them skimmed.

I have had a price for skimming them on the car of £50 per disc. Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

Good luck with this :thumbs:

But as mentioned above you need to or nissan needs to troubleshoot with a full inspection the exact issue rather than blindly change stuff.

Even new pads will develope DTV if you have runout which is usually from the hubs. Thats why its good practice to check run out when installing new rotors and fit new pads sametime.

Who has quoted you? So far as you have isolated the issue as DTV and this guys are employing an on car brake lathe then you are fine otherwise it will not work :surrender:

The only way to confirm DTV is to check the lateral runout ;)