Bonsai Cars - :(

michaelwr

Hi

I bought mine Z direct from Japan, and got it two weeks ago. I bought a 4.5 grade, 15,000 miles version S, 2003. It cost 10,600 at auction and by the time I got it on the road it was £15.5k. I spent along time viewing the auction and prices. They do very a little, but my advice is that this car is either base model, but very likely to be a low grade car which may have been tarted up in this country. You get what you pay for so expect a not so perfect car.

PS Can you get a 03 UK car for 16k, I looked and they were over £20k....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I bought mine Z direct from Japan, and got it two weeks ago. I bought a 4.5 grade, 15,000 miles version S, 2003. It cost 10,600 at auction and by the time I got it on the road it was £15.5k. I spent along time viewing the auction and prices. They do very a little, but my advice is that this car is either base model, but very likely to be a low grade car which may have been tarted up in this country. You get what you pay for so expect a not so perfect car.

PS Can you get a 03 UK car for 16k, I looked and they were over £20k....

My car was similar Base model with lots of little upgrades including leather, mud flaps, upgraded exhaust and a 12 month guarantee with 22,000 on the clock It is a 52 plate 03 car and cost 15,500 taxed, tested and keys in my hand.

Buds

just cos the book says they exist doesn't mean they do mate. I looked real long and real hard before I spent my folding and all the stuff in the 16k bracket was either VERY high mileage of JDM??The english cars are 1500 to 2000 more pricey than the JDM cars for the same thing but some still have a bit of Nissan warranty on them. the early ones already have three salty winters on them though. ;)

michaelwr

Dude i didn't mean to scare you but I have a little experience of the JDM auctions and i have a friend who has imported several himself. Personally i would not touch an R car unless it has had a full independant inspection. You are spending a LOT of money on a car that has had a resonable shunt at some stage. It could be just a wing or rear quarter but find out first and DONT trust Bonsais word on what it was.

find paper and try to confirm it!!

Good luck mate

Ming the VERY Cautious

Yeah you can, most of market is way overpriced atm.

Like i said BASE 03 uk Z is booked at 16k with traders this month, FACT.

You just gotta find one! :)

I know of an 04 Base that will go for 16.5.

Why do you think the UK market is way over priced???

Considering a UK GT is £28k+, how many other 2 year old cars have the performance and spec of that car for UNDER £20k???

Everyone wants a bargain when they buy and car that doesn't depreciate when you sell!! Any lower than £17k, you're into Civic Type R territory (not even S2000!) and there's no competition there. So I disagree the market is overpriced......

The market is overpriced in relation to what the cars are valued at to trade in. Nothing more or less was considered when i made that judgement.

And when UK cars are starting to appear for 17k with GT spec at the moment, i'd say people are starting to agree and recognise that. The Z held its value very well, but its starting to drop quicker. Part of life and fun of owning a car. If you know any traders, ask to see their book, it'll surprise you.

I was thinking of this company and i have been in contact with them for a fek weeks now to test the water etc...however i am now thinking on what has just been said here, to spend and extra 3k (taking it upto £16.5k) and have the assurance of a UK spec car.

Just a case of looking in the right places come january time.

The market is overpriced in relation to what the cars are valued at to trade in.

Sorry mate but thats just wrong. Your basing everything on the trade in value of a zed. Who sells there car for the trade in value. Traders give you a low valuation to create a margin for them to make profits on your car. I sold my Kuro for £19k but trade valuations were as low as £15k. Ther difference is not an example of the market being overpriced, its the difference between the current market value and what a trader would give you. The trader would give you £16k and then stick it on his forecourt at £19k ;)

Personally i think 3k is a bit of large mark up, but i appreciate you point.

Example, i sold my 04 JCW Cooper back to BMW dealer as i couldnt be arsed with a private sale, i got back just over 10k for car. Its just gone back out from the dealer for £11750. Mini's have the best residuals bar none in UK car market at moment on a percentage basis (ignoring recent Caterham claims for point).

That doesnt change fact though UK cars are beginning to trade hands at ever decreasing prices. Heck a member on here got a 04 GT uk car for £16750.

The cars are out there, and assuming everything about them checks out, then bargains are to be had!

If someone is willing to pay £19k for a car that can, with patience potentially be found for £17k then fair play to them. Each to their own. Its what makes a world a unique place. Everyone wants to sell for as much as they can, and buy for as little :)

Buds, my Dad works in the trade, and gets his copy of Glass' guide every month. I read it thoroughly every month! :scare::teeth:

As for traders and their mark up, why shouldn't they make a profit. For your investment of time each month you get a salary. They're the same, trying to cover their costs of warranty, insurance etc and make a profit.

Personally any Zed under £20k has got to be seen as a bargain. For the perfromance and spec as a whole, it's streets ahead of anything. £35k + Porsches are beaten in all areas, as are over all the other German rivals. Why are we almost trying to drag the value of ourt cars down??

Buds, my Dad works in the trade, and gets his copy of Glass' guide every month. I read it thoroughly every month! :scare::teeth:

As for traders and their mark up, why shouldn't they make a profit. For your investment of time each month you get a salary. They're the same, trying to cover their costs of warranty, insurance etc and make a profit.

Personally any Zed under £20k has got to be seen as a bargain. For the perfromance and spec as a whole, it's streets ahead of anything. £35k + Porsches are beaten in all areas, as are over all the other German rivals. Why are we almost trying to drag the value of ourt cars down??

#

Okay, so who wants to buy my car? Only £20k willing to deliver from Southampton :yahoo:

p.s. Bonsai extras Totaliser is now up from £250 to £324.

Michaelwr: does the totaliser include:

the fuel that they will use in SVA (~£60)

Alarm/immobiliser required...(~£300)

HKS Delimiter (that they won't put in unless you ask - rip off!)(~£150)

Allow for mistakes in their budget spreadsheet (~£xxx) - they tend not to be able to add up properly

If not watch out! Hence I wouldn't use Bonsai.

Michaelwr: does the totaliser include:

the fuel that they will use in SVA (~£60)

Alarm/immobiliser required...(~£300)

HKS Delimiter (that they won't put in unless you ask - rip off!)(~£150)

Allow for mistakes in their budget spreadsheet (~£xxx) - they tend not to be able to add up properly

If not watch out! Hence I wouldn't use Bonsai.

Nope just the £675 SVA cost but do expect more.

As far as I;m concerned my agreement is to drive the car away for an agreed price and no more.

• 1 month later...

Most SVA prep people (including myself) won't actually use a full tank of fuel for the test but use weights instead. You fill in a form beforehand, do a simple calculation of the amount of ltrs of fuel needed and take in the proof that you have used the correct amount of weights. This saves a fortune but some prep people will charge the customer for fule they never bought.......just something to be aware of.

The next point is that cat 1 security costs no more than £240 for say a Toad or Sigma Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser fitted by a VSIB fitter.......why do they need to make an extra £60 on you i'd ask.

Finally, i'm getting offered 350's for around £13k fully registered and on the road and with warranted miles and NO accident grade. These are JDM's but there are plenty of sub £14k UK higher mile cars available if yo look hard enough.

Dave.

Collected her yesterday, just done loads of miles to get her home so excuse the bug splats!

Still some work to be done by Bonsai, i.e. Manuals and £ difference still to be handed over but I now have a written guarantee. Got the car empty and took 68 litres to fill her although the mechanic was good to swap the battery over as it failed to start even after charging.

Been for a test drive with the wife and the dog, realised putting the dog in the boot wasn;t the best thing and had to stop before I got a shitty smell in the car.

looks lovely mate!

more pics if you please?

Ill be repeating the above process in about 2 months when MY car arrives!! Yay. hope everything goes as well. . . .

Jamie

Collected her yesterday, just done loads of miles to get her home so excuse the bug splats!

Still some work to be done by Bonsai, i.e. Manuals and £ difference still to be handed over but I now have a written guarantee. Got the car empty and took 68 litres to fill her although the mechanic was good to swap the battery over as it failed to start even after charging.

Been for a test drive with the wife and the dog, realised putting the dog in the boot wasn;t the best thing and had to stop before I got a shitty smell in the car.

"Got the car empty and took 68 litres to fill her although the mechanic was good to swap the battery over as it failed to start even after charging."

Don't pay for a full tank of fuel for the SVA test, have a look back at my previous reply. They've used wieghts and not fuel for the test, give me a call on 07810 098199 if you want me to explain this procedure for your case of not paying. I am a trader and have done a few hundred SVA's for my own cars so it's not just a chinese whisper.

Dave.