Fault with the instrument panel lights-Help!

bounty78

I drove through a puddle of water as it was raining quite heavily this morning. The interior instrument panel cluster lights ie the lights that lit up the speedometer and the cubby pods becomes dim when i turn on the main headlight stalk. The headlights on the outside seem to be working fine though. When you switch of the headlights the interior lights become bright again :wacko: Can someone shed any light as to what is happening. Hope i haven't blown a fuse. Have checked all the fuse in the footwell and they seem OK. Help or any advice would be much appreciated.

could be that the water has allowed your alternator belt to begin slipping? if it slips the car may not be getting the power it needs when something power hungry like the lights are turned on. when it dries out give it another go and see if it solves itself, could just mean a replacement or tightening of the belt is needed.

Yes i know..at least u know u won't be messed around and they actually know what they are doing. It's a long trip back and forth. Seen your new wheels while i was at Lee's the other day..looks really B) Good choice would go well with your blade silver Zed.

Yes i know..at least u know u won't be messed around and they actually know what they are doing. It's a long trip back and forth. Seen your new wheels while i was at Lee's the other day..looks really B) Good choice would go well with your blade silver Zed.

:teeth::teeth::teeth: thanks :thumbs:

Mine does that too but I have them set using the buttons on the right hand side for dimming the dash lights for night time driving.

Maybe you have accidently pressed them to dim the dash lights down :blush:

ahh thats a good point! :thumbs:

my dash lights do the same thing,

i just thought it was supposed to be like that. my thinking was that when its dark enough to use your headlights you dont need the dash blinding you. but i guess im wrong if nobody elses do that.

i recently had my alternator belt changed and its still the same.

if you manage to sort yours could you let me know what was causing it.

cheers

the dash lights are always on! even when the front lights arent on. so when its getting dark outside, the dash lights seem really bright. then u switch on ure headlights and the dash lights go really dim?

try adjusting the brightness of them when the headlights are on. with the right hand set of buttons.

the dash lights are always on! even when the front lights arent on. so when its getting dark outside, the dash lights seem really bright. then u switch on ure headlights and the dash lights go really dim?

try adjusting the brightness of them when the headlights are on. with the right hand set of buttons.

I wondered when someone would point this out :lol: ...... +1 ... it's suprising the number of people who don't realise that there is an adjustment for the brightness

I don't think i have pressed the dimming/brightness button on the right of the speedometer by mistake. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Here are some pictures to illustrate what i meant:

When the lights are off(ie. normal)

07062010025.jpg

07062010026.jpg

07062010018.jpg

And when the headlights are on

07062010021.jpg

07062010027.jpg

Look at how dim the orange lights are ? faulty :shrug:

07062010023.jpg

Will have a look at it again tonight when it's pitch black to see if the dashboard lits up at all when the headlights are switched on. Have been on nights over the whole weekend. I have tried the dimming/brightness button on the right-makes no difference. The orange background is still very dim.

Took some night shots tonight. Definitely not right...was a lot brighter even at night time. Before anyone start saying have u adjust the brightness illumination button on the right of the speedometer..yes i did but nothing happened..some reason it's not working..won't let u adjust the brightness up and down anymore :wacko: Wonder if that might be the problem? Or alternator like what Husky had suggested?

brightness illumination button

07062010037.jpg

07062010031.jpg

07062010034.jpg

07062010033.jpg

Compare that with when the headlight is switched off..it use to be as bright as this if i remember correctly even when the headlight is switched on..definitely a lot dimmer :shrug:

07062010035.jpg

I guess it's a job for Falcon..will probably PM Lee..see if he has any idea what might be wrong with it.

i think he said he will be plowing through his PM's tomorrow, maybe best giving him a text so its on his radar as i think he is scarily busy just now :thumbs:

Thanks Mike..that's not a bad guess/suggestion. My battery was drained couple of weeks ago. :headhurt: Will mention that to Lee when i see him at the weekend :thumbs: Will keep everyone posted as soon as it's all sorted and when we know what the problem is.

Mike..i am beginning to think u might be right on this one. Had another flat battery this afternoon..second time this has happened in the last 30days. :bang: Another callout to the car breakdown service. :thumbdown:

change the battery and see if the problem goes, at least it a relative cheap fix