Oil Catch Tanks UPDATED HELP NEEDED LOL

AlexZ

Evening guys, I plan to fit a oil catch tank to my Z. The engine bay is standard and i'm looking for the best location. I want to feed the two cam cover breathers into the tank because I feel this is the reason for the oily mess I have.

If any one has any images of theres fitted please post up for me. :teeth:

Alex

The top one is perfect mate but I'm not sure if it will fit there with the standard air box. :shrug:

Alex

probably won't, I had trouble relocating it when I went back to standard air box for a while. Im sure theres somewhere you could mount it though :)

Few pic's and some diagrams showing the vapour flow etc.

Little diagram showing how the sytem "should work. lol. (Mark if your reading this the line going from the back of the cam cover on bank 2 is already lined up to pull vac from the PS turbo inlet, this is how the APS kit came? I did not know this till i was poking round the engine bay yesterday!)

_DSC0611-4.jpg

First design, I made some card board mock ups of this and then modifed the design to make it work/look better.

_DSC0633-1.jpg

Final design. The internal volume works out about 1.6L so much bigger than the one i have now which is only 0.4L.

_DSC0634-3.jpg

Basic ideas on fitment. Its not spot on becaust my curret catch can is getting in the way but once thats gone it should fit alot better.

_DSC0621-2.jpg

a><!-- m -->

_DSC0623-4.jpg

_DSC0629-3.jpg

_DSC0630-1.jpg

_DSC0619-2.jpg

The card mack up has no end plates as I've run out of cerial box to use! lol.. The final item will be filled with stainless steel wool to help get the oil to condense and drop out from the vapour as it passes through the catch can.

If you're going turbo then i would forget the small catch tank, or at least plum it back into the plenum as this is the low

throttle/idle breather and uses the vacuum of the engine to equalise pressure,

The rest looks OK but if you're going to run the cam cover equaliser tubes into the catch tank i would also run the main/full throttle breather at the back into the tank to, and then have two outs one to each turbo inlet which will also help equalise things.

You will also need to keep a careful check on the levels in the catch tank, as being in a high location will mean that if too full or under hard cornering you may find that any oil will move and then get drawn in bulk to the outlets to the turbos, as there will be a large vacuum (dependant on design and throttle opening) not what you need on a turbo engine as a lot of oil vapour in the inlet will

result in lowering the octane rating of the fuel and can cause detonation, some careful baffle design in the tank might be in order, or a different location.

If you're going turbo then i would forget the small catch tank, or at least plum it back into the plenum as this is the low

throttle/idle breather and uses the vacuum of the engine to equalise pressure,

The rest looks OK but if you're going to run the cam cover equaliser tubes into the catch tank i would also run the main/full throttle breather at the back into the tank to, and then have two outs one to each turbo inlet which will also help equalise things.

You will also need to keep a careful check on the levels in the catch tank, as being in a high location will mean that if too full or under hard cornering you may find that any oil will move and then get drawn in bulk to the outlets to the turbos, as there will be a large vacuum (dependant on design and throttle opening) not what you need on a turbo engine as a lot of oil vapour in the inlet will

result in lowering the octane rating of the fuel and can cause detonation, some careful baffle design in the tank might be in order, or a different location.

Thanks for the reply. The rear breather is plumed in like that on the stock aps kit so "if it ant broken dont fix it" on that side of things. The catch can will have internal baffles and will be stuffed with stainless steel wool to help the oil/air to separate.

That location is about the only place you can fit a good size can mate. The mocal ones are nice but dont fit anywhere in the zeds engine bay.

Thanks for the images and info guys...I took a couple of image while the inlet iwas stipped down. I guess you all have catch tanks for the same reason as I want one to remove the oil vapour.

Do you guys find your using a bit of oil? how much do you actually get in the tank over a month?

The catch tank like Shires, I guess theres no way of checking the level in the tank unless you remove it and pour it out

04062010040.jpg

04062010041.jpg

Cleaned and ready to refit

04062010043.jpg

04062010042.jpg

Thanks again

Alex

The ARC Catch tank like mine has a clear gauge on the back off it alex's so I can see how much is in, but to drain it you do have to remove it not that iv had to yet mind and iv had it on about 9months now :thumbs:

Thats good news mate, I've ordered a Cusco one like the top image. I plan to mount it to the bulkhead some how without drilling holes lol...

Do you find your Z uses much oil?? I've been reading on the america site and some use loads and I mean loads....

Alex

Ok guys, I know I sound thick but I've ordered the catch tank below, I've realised some off the tanks above have more tubes. I guess this just gives you more tubes to connect to the breather on the vehicle. Am guessing on the one Ive ordered there the two blue elbow are for IN and OUT.

I would guess the two larger cam cover breathers at the rear are the main ones. I've seen the drawing above and my plan is to leave the pipe linking the two cam covers (front) there, then have two silicon pipes from the rear breathers meeting at a Y peice then a single silicon pipe leading into the catch tank. Would it be best to then let the vapour go to atmosphere rather then feeding it back into the system. If not were would you guy attach the return pipe from the catch tank back to the car?

If some one could draw an image for the standard engine I would be really grateful lol... :thumbs:

cusco-2.png

Alex

• 2 weeks later...