Speedo vs Pod MPH reading

IT10

Hi all,

I noticed today that there seems to be a difference of a couple of MPH between the MPH shown on the speedo and the digital speed readout on the dash pod.

Eg Pod shows 57, speedo reads 60.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or gets this?

I know the difference is negligible, but does anyone know which would be the more accurate?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

As the guys have already said, GPS will normally be most accurate but as far as Pod V Speedo it states in the manual that "The speed indicator in the trip computer indicates the reference speed. The actual speed indicated by the speedometer may differ from the one in the trip computer"

Hope that helps.

:)

comparing the 3 (in fact 4 including the GPS on the B2 as well as the GPS on the TOMTOM) at the same time and assuming GPS is the most accurate, the digital speed read in the trip computer seems to be closer to the actual speed as opposed to the speedo

Remember for GPS to sit on cruise control as its normally a 2/3 second delays unless its something like drayton timing year.

I had a strange one where speed showed 80mph, digital speedo = 80mph. Sitting on cruise control for 30 minutes solid - av. speed = 76mph?

Guest prescience
Why do you think Dorian???

Do we measure say the 100m sprint on a analogue instrument!!!

Well they both use the same information from the wheel sensors - I think its that the analog speedo is made to overead (as other manufacturers do) to avoid charges of it reading incorrectly if people get nicked for speeding. There is no othe reason I can see that the digital and analog would not read the same, as it can't be manufacturing tolerances because the analog ALWAYS reads higher ;)

I noticed this but assumed it was paralax (sp) error.

It is possible for the digital and analogue to read different speeds even if the reading is coming from the same place. I don't know how the Zed is hooked up but the digital speedo will have an analogue input converted (speed at gearbox or wheel) into the digital reading via a scale such as 4-20mA or something. This in turn could vary (as all electronics do) due to temperature etc. Thus giving a different output from the analogue one that isn't converted!

If I'm speaking sh*t let me know.

I noticed this but assumed it was paralax (sp) error.

It is possible for the digital and analogue to read different speeds even if the reading is coming from the same place. I don't know how the Zed is hooked up but the digital speedo will have an analogue input converted (speed at gearbox or wheel) into the digital reading via a scale such as 4-20mA or something. This in turn could vary (as all electronics do) due to temperature etc. Thus giving a different output from the analogue one that isn't converted!

If I'm speaking sh*t let me know.

Just to confuse things even further......

Tyre tread depth and pressure also must make a difference to the reading on all the readings!

Guest prescience

Certainly rolling radius will affect the 'true' speed.

Stew if the A/D converter was quantised as you suggest, surely on average it would read higher and lower equally. As it is, the digital reading has a positive bias rather than a pseudo-random quantised variation.

I still believe it is deliberately set to over-read

Guest prescience
I was just throwing in my tuppence worth - I have no idea how they do it at Nissan!

It could be deliberate, I generally just go for the digital one as it seems in a more natural position!

Same here :thumbs: