Are these the correct tyre sizes

Mark-UK

Tyres for the Rays should be 225/45 and 245/45 front and rear respectively, so yes your rear tyre is incorrect and will throw off the TC, as the tyre is smaller in diameter than stock, which means the car thinks its spinning quicker than the front and slipping, which it isnt ;)

Tyres for the Rays should be 225/45 and 245/45 front and rear respectively, so yes your rear tyre is incorrect and will throw off the TC, as the tyre is smaller in diameter than stock, which means the car thinks its spinning quicker than the front and slipping, which it isnt ;)

Thanks Chris, you've confirmed what I thought was the case, much appreciated.

Hi-jacking this thread, apologies Mark!

This might explain why I've been having so many issues with my tyres. The following Firestone tyres were on the Zed when I bought her and they've been causing me all sorts of issues:

front - 225/45 ZR17 91W

rear - 245/40 R17 91Y

Someone please confirm for me that this is not a good set up for the tyres else it must be my driving style :shrug:

The TC has been kicking in all over the place and it makes the car unpredictable to drive. I'm looking at getting some 5Zigen 19" wheels like Pimm soon and will probably get Falkens all round. Hopefully that'll prevent this particular problem from occuring.

Bock

Are you on the stock JDM wheels?

andlid / Sarnie,

I currently have the stock 17" seven spoke JDM alloys, does that make any difference to the kind of tyres I should be running?

Ah it sure does..... 235 50 rear ... can't remember front, can have a look what I'm using.

You sure you got brembos? Saw in chat you where looking for pads... or was it calipers? Can't get the same type of rubber anymore since its an off size...

Ah, Sorry for any confusion mate.

I currently run the 17" / 7 Spoke alloys with standard brakes on a 2003 JDM import. However I am considering getting some 19" 5Zigen's and I was considering changing the standard brakes I currently have to Brembro's, (Rotors, Pads etc) at the same time as changing the wheels.

I was just thinking out loud (typing out loud!) to myself in the chat section. I don't know whether it's worth changing to the Brembo's, it was just a thought really.

Lol, are u looking for rubber to the 17 or 19?

Well I'm saving me pennies up for the new wheels and balancing the cost against a few other things. Any advice on tyres for both my current 17" wheels and potential 19" wheels (hopefully a set of 5Zigen ZR+520's) would be great.

Bock

Lol, are u looking for rubber to the 17 or 19?

Well I'm saving me pennies up for the new wheels and balancing the cost against a few other things. Any advice on tyres for both my current 17" wheels and potential 19" wheels (hopefully a set of 5Zigen ZR+520's) would be great.

Bock

17" >

If you are saving pennies then go for Falkens or the like... I use the Goodyear F1's and can't fault them for daily driver use.

19" > again Falkens or if you want something better go for Pilot Sport PS2's, would not know what size of rubber to go for I'm afraid the widest possible :D

Nice one andlid, thanks for the advice.

If I'm going to buy the new wheels soon then I will go gentle and live with the issue I currently have. I don't want to spend £500 on new tyres for the 17" wheels then go and buy the 5Zigen's and have to buy tyres for them as well, that'll eat in to me sweet fund far too much!

I had considered the Bridgestone RE050 A's, Falken 452's and the Michellin Pilot Sport 3's, but I was a bit concerned about how soft the sidewall was on the PS 3's. Hadn't thought about the Goodyear F1's though, so I shall check them out as well.

Sounds like the tyres I have on my 17's at the rear certainly aren't right. So if if it is going to be a while before I do get the new 19" wheels I will consider replacing the current rears with 235/50/17, which is cool

Sounds like the tyres I have on my 17's at the rear certainly aren't right. So if if it is going to be a while before I do get the new 19" wheels I will consider replacing the current rears with 235/50/17, which is cool

You may want to think about keeping your standard wheels for winter use, so upgrading the rear rubber wouldn't be a waste of money in the long term

You may want to think about keeping your standard wheels for winter use, so upgrading the rear rubber wouldn't be a waste of money in the long term

Mmm sounds like a fair point, I don't mind spending the money but I don't want to waste money either. Getting new tyres for the 17"s and keeping them for winter use is something I hadn't considered, might well be a good option.

Right, time to get me tyres changed today.

Going to go for Falken 452's (probably!) and get 225/50/R17 - 235/50/R17 or maybe 245/45/R17 -255/45/R17

245/45/R17 -255/45/R17 :headhurt: will that work on the 17" rim?

Ooops, you're right, that would have been interesting :blush:

Tech Wiki to the rescue my friends - http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Wheel_Specifications

Tyres for the 17s (sorry thought you meant 18s earlier) are indeed 225/50/17 and 235/50/17 . To keep the TC happy, its best to keep the sizes as OEM as possible.

If you really want to run different sizes, you need to keep the ratio of front to rear sizes the same. In a tyre calc, put in the above sizes and note the percentage difference. If you want to then change the sizes, make sure you keep this percentage change front/rear the same, and TC will be happy :thumbs: