Most powerful zed

sasha@lazytrips

i would hope that it actually goes down , kind of like proving you can handle the car.

your runnign around 400bhp, a supra turbo for me is about the same as the Z few bolt ons would easy get it to 400 and im sure that wouldnt be such apig to insure so i really dont understand why boosting a car makes it go up so much , grr rip of companies !

Also don't forget that if you change the car too much from its original spec like changing to a different engine it may be liable for a full DOT VOSA test. If you do find an insurance company to insure a car like this then they also might insist the car has a VOSA test before they will insure it.

You won't need any kind of test for a simple engine swap.

It won't be just a simple engine swap will it, if someone puts an LS2 (supercharged or not) in a Zed. The gearbox and drive chain will need changing, and possibly the rear axle plus it will need uprated brakes. Add all this together and you effectively have changed the car from what it was to something completely different. Doing this sort of thing these days is very complicated - I looked into this a few years ago when I was considering a replica Cobra. The rules and legislation are now very tight. It is different if a company has gone to the trouble of offering a proper approved and certified conversion with certificates of safety compliance (i.e. Alpina and AMG etc) if not you can't do this sort of thing anymore unless its not going to run on the road. However tuning an original engine is a different matter.

You still won't need any test for that, just ask all the Elise guys who drop Audi and Honda lumps into their cars. Building a Cobra replica is completely different to an engine swap, which is again different to mass producing a car that needs to go through all the European safety regs.

I think that you should get insurance money back at the end of the year if you don't have any claims :lol:

Sky Insurance once has a customer who caused a £100,000+ payout, if insurers were giving money back for people who didn't claim, how would they pay out for the people that did?

* I appreciate your comment is probably tongue in cheek *

You still won't need any test for that, just ask all the Elise guys who drop Audi and Honda lumps into their cars. Building a Cobra replica is completely different to an engine swap, which is again different to mass producing a car that needs to go through all the European safety regs.

I am not talking in respect to kit cars, but that I have seen and read the VOSA regs and take it from me you simply can't just put a different engine in a car without it going through the proper tests. Its OK for show cars or for race car use that won't be used on the road, but not for road cars where people’s safety is at risk. Regarding the Elise engine swaps - these are proper recognised and approved conversions that have TUV approval. If a conversion company goes to all the trouble and gets an approval for fitting a 1000HP LS2 engine in a Zed then this will not need VOSA test. VOSA are there to protect us (the public) from unsafe or dangerous engineering.

I disagree, i installed an rb engine into my 200sx, custom mounts, seam welded, different G/box, adjusted trans tunnel, custom prop, custom exhausts, custom wiring loom, custom diff, uprated the full braking system inc master cylinder, uprated the rear hubs, coilovers, uprated fueling, custom slampanal, custom intercooler, converted the 200sx from auto to manual (installed clutch pedal, cylinders and associated pipe work the list goes on and i declared it all to my insurance company and amended the log book, No tests at all :teeth:

Coops

Why did i sell it ?????? :blink::dry::byebye:

Post the regs up then.

When you make any changes to a vehicle you have to declare these changes to the DVLA. See here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022486

Depending on the severity changes the DVLA may request you to have the car inspected by VOSA at one of the VOSA test centres. It is almost 100% likely this will be the case if you are increasing the size/capacity of the engine and increasing the number of cylinders, as you would with an LS2 engine.

See section: Registering a radically altered vehicle

The reason for this is to make sure the work carried out on the vehicle meets with the DOT safety standards. A car can be submitted for testing by the Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme

You can use the IVA scheme if you: rebuild older cars with major changes

The IVA inspection checks that your vehicle is designed and constructed to meet modern safety and environmental standards for use on UK roads. Examiners from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency do inspections at approved sites in Great Britain.