Dash removal, what am I doing wrong?

wood glue

I followed the standard guide:

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

I get to step 11 and attempt to "Grasp the top of the console with your finger tips, and gently pull towards you." It most certainly doesn't "Just snap out" I tugged on it as hard as I could before feeling like I was going to break something. It felt like there were additional clips to loosen but I didn't want to start digging around with a flat blade without knowing what I was aiming for.

Help :|

theres a cable in there which connects the 3 gauges. theres a block connector which is a bit of a pain but isnt to hard to get apart. it should come about 2 inches away from the dash so you can get to the connector :thumbs:

Did you definitely remove the screws from the cubby hole? there a rubber mat that sits in there that hides a couple of screws. If so try lifting it out from the bottom a little bit then it should come out from the top easily enough.

I did get all the screws including the ones inside the cubby under the rubber mat. I did in the end start lifting it from below and it seemed to be just hinging where the very top meets the rest of the dash as if it were still resolutely caught on something. I'm hugely paranoid of pushing too far/hard and snapping a clip somewhere.

It's not coming away from the dash at all at the very top so I'm not in any danger of snapping the connector, I can't even see the bloody thing :|

So am I right in thinking with just a little purchase on the back of the panel next to the windscreen using my fingers I should be able to just slide it towards me a few inches without much pressure?

Very odd, I wonder if it's catching on something it's not meant to be.

So am I right in thinking with just a little purchase on the back of the panel next to the windscreen using my fingers I should be able to just slide it towards me a few inches without much pressure?

Very odd, I wonder if it's catching on something it's not meant to be.

Might be catching a bit on the sides, Pimm had the same problem it just needs a bit of force applied to it & it will come out :thumbs:

If your confident that you have removed all the retaining screws there are no clips that can be broken really. If the headunit is still in place its fairly strong and i doubt you will break anything, pull up from bottom a little so you can get your fingers in then yank. Its probably just a bit tight in there. Dont be afraid if it breaks it can be glue'd and from Lee they are pretty cheap but as i said i dont reckon you could break it easy, they are stronger than they look.

The first time I took mine apart I had the same issue, just took a harder yank than you would imagine.

The is a clip at the centre of the top that hooks onto the underside of the dash so try pushing down in the centre a little as you pull back.

Glue.

Put your hand at the base of the gear gator and pull it firmly from the rear and it should pop up. at the rear is a ribbon cable remove that.

Pulling that panel out of the way if you look under the dash there will be a white box with 2 screws in and another two securing the dash.

to the right of that on the edge of the dash there is another set of screws remove these also.

Next open the cubby and remove the rubber matt. under the matt there are two screws remove these and then the plastic panel.

Under the panel you will see two screws recessed in the dash remove these and that is all the screws removed.

pull the dash slightly forward at the bottom i find putting my hand at the back of the headunit helps.

What you need to do now is put your had at the very top of the center console where it meets near the windscreen. put your hand in the center and FIRMLY pull forward. you will definately feel the dash click out of the clip that holds the top in.

the whole dash will now come forward about an inch and on the right hand side you will see a little white connector that needs to be removed.

Finally you should be able to bring the dash forward enough to remove all the connections from the headunit and the lot will come out.

That is probably the worst guide ever but i have typed it as it came into my head from removing it so many times. any problems let me know.