STONE CHIP TOUCH UP ADVICE REQUIRED

Vik54

:lol: Ok so while the car was in getting geo done last week I thought I'd ask my local bodyshop (who have done a couple of good jobs for me in the past) for a quote to sort peeling bumper and stone chipped bonnet (it is peppered :headhurt: )...to remove/refit bumper, spray all and blend onto wings comes in at £870 inc VAT :scare: I knew it wasn't going to be financially viable :shrug: but sh*t-a-brick!!

I even thought about batting my eyelashes and asking about sponsorship as they find me a bit of a novelty but I just can't bring myself to prostitute Saffy :lol:

I have a pot of paint that was mixed for me last year and a model paint brush...any advice before I go for it with the chips?

As a comparison....

To remove my front bumper, fully strip it of paint back to the fibreglass, re-glass the whole surface, and strenghten the edges in the design, then to fully repaint in a Pearlescent paint, and refit...

.....£600

That was at Lee's bro's place - Falcon Performance.

I know it doesnt include bonnet, but seems like alot more work involved that what they are quoting you for.

hey vik, the guys thats doing my bumper is only taking about 80quid a panel. He's a very well respected painter and has done work on my bro's mates bentley and his aston martin. If you want I can get his number. I'll let you see my car once its done next week and you can see what you think.

The 80 quid is to actually sort the big crack in my bumper and paint it. I dont know if thats the price I get because i'm goin through my bro's mate who friends with him but ive seen his work and its top class. Spent 2 weeks tryin to paint match an orange focus st and wouldnt give it back to the boy until it was perfect(and never charged any extra for all the time).... just a thought

Cheers Neil ....I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna give the chips a go - it won't be perfect by anymeans but will at least stop any rust in the meantime.

TBH I know deep down I'd rather spend the money on handling & performance than looks because I'm fighting a losing battle with the chips when she's my daily driver and track slag :lol: she was never going to be a garage queen ;)

I have an idea on the stone chip self repair thing myself. I'm in the process of doing it, so if its still sunny this weekend I'll post up some pics and guide of what I have done.

Basically the plan is :

Halfrauds Blade Silver Touch up Kit (one with primer, colour, laquer and the firbreglass tool)

Custom Mixed Azure B17 paint. Done at a local bodyshop for me when they sprayed my bumper.

2000 grit Emery.

Model paint brush.

Going to use the primer to fill the chip until it is level with the surrounding paint surface.

After each coat of primer rub down gently with the little tool that comes in the halfrauds kit.

Once completely filled, rub down very carefully with the 2000 grit, to smootht he surface.

Leave 24 hours to harden.

Apply one coat of blade silver.

Rub down, 2000 grit.

Apply one coat azure from left to right.

Rub down

one coat from right to left.

rub down

one coat diagonally

rub down

one coat up and down.

rub down

Sevral coats of laquer using the same process.

I'm not sure how it will turn out, i'm still doing the primer stage currently. Will let ya know how it goes. :-D

Not expecting a colour match but I'm hoping it won't look too noticable and might last a while and stop it rusting etc.

-Dave

Sounds excessive Vik :scare:

As a comparison my car is booked in to my local bodyshop next week ...

Remove front bumper , respray

Fit new clear reflectors ( which I am supplying )

Cut out existing grill and replace with mesh ( which I am supplying )

Re-fit bumper

Stick on new front badge

Paint and fit an 07+ bonnet ( which I am supplying thanks to Alex ) :thumbs:

Blending the tops of the wings

..... £695 ( incl VAT )

Will be done in time for Modified Live :teeth:

JT

Komier - that's one hell of a job - good luck hope it works & look forward to seeing the results on an Azure :thumbs:

Mike...thanks I've looked at that stuff - but its not the odd chip - I'll have to take some pics (but it would prolly give you a break down!) :lol:

John...that's a good deal :clap: think perhpas I'll be heading up your way ;)

Aye i'll keep you updated, just praying for some good weather this weekend.

I'm int he same position really. I'd love to fork out the money for a full spray, get a great colour match all over, lose the stone chips and scratches, but as it's my daily drive I know it would be buggered again inside 6 months. Most stressful, I hate her looking a bit tatty :(

Komier - that's one hell of a job - good luck hope it works & look forward to seeing the results on an Azure :thumbs:

Mike...thanks I've looked at that stuff - but its not the odd chip - I'll have to take some pics (but it would prolly give you a break down!) :lol:

John...that's a good deal :clap: think perhpas I'll be heading up your way ;)

Vik , I would definitely recommend them if you were thinking about coming up. They painted and fitted my Nismo skirts a few months back and did a great job :thumbs:

Make a weekend of it and you and Gary can stay with us and we'll drag Dawn & Kenny out for a few pints in Ellon :drunk: