sprayed my wheels.

bodyboarder

Hi all, i have sprayed my wheels graphite grey, at the moment i have no laquer on them as i wanted the mat look. I need to get them laquered and have found some mat finish laquer. I will give them all a rub down again then put another coat of colour, but befor putting the laquer on do i need to sand/flat the colour with some very soft grade wet and dry? Any help much appreciated :thumbs:

I just spent a few hours doing them and made sure i put the cans in hot water, this gives the cans alot better pressure and more even spread, seemed to work well. Any help with regards the laquering?

Why change a winning team :shrug: Lacquer it the same way :lol: Just get full coverage as i think i can see the finish on the inside is a bit dodgy ;)

Good work and effort :thumbs: Loving the choice of colour B)

they look good in that colour :thumbs:

advice when laquering, is practice on something else first. its not the same as using normal paint i see laquering more as an art form than just an ability.

and yes use something like 200 grit wet and dry or even 2500 would be better, and its a very light rub,

they look good in that colour :thumbs:

advice when laquering, is practice on something else first. its not the same as using normal paint i see laquering more as an art form than just an ability.

and yes use something like 200 grit wet and dry or even 2500 would be better, and its a very light rub,

I think Rich meant 1200 grade wet and dry NOT 200...... :blush:

So its 1200 grade and lots of water...then resparay in colour as you are bound to rub through to the primer coats ( you did use primer??) then when you get an even slightly matt finish apply the laquer. If by chance you have not cleaned and primed first I wouldnt bother with laquer yet as you may find its not worth the time as it'll peel off eventually.

Does look good though :thumbs:

I want to do this.... can you make a how to?

1. take wheel off

2. rub it down (need abrasive, 200 grit, working up to about 1000)

3. repair any curbing with wheel filler

4. rub down again (500 grit working to 1500)

5. spray a coat of primer on, leave for 1 hour

6.gently rub down with 2000 grit

7. spray another coat, leave for another hour

8. gently rub down with 2000 grit

9.spray 1 last coat leave for 24 hours

10. gently rub down with 2000 grit

11. spray on colour, light coats same process as above leave for an hour between coats and rub down gently with 2000 grit.

12. after final coat of colour, you might put on up to 7 or 8, leave for 24 to 48 hours to harden off

13. rub down 1 last time with, you guessed it 2000 grit.

14. apply laquer, probably 2 coats.

15 leave to dry for 24-48 hours before fitting to car.

hope that helps

You need to thoroughly clean and degrease the wheel after taking it off. Also (common sense here) spend some time masking too.

I want to do this.... can you make a how to?

1. take wheel off

2. rub it down (need abrasive, 200 grit, working up to about 1000)

3. repair any curbing with wheel filler

4. rub down again (500 grit working to 1500)

5. spray a coat of primer on, leave for 1 hour

6.gently rub down with 2000 grit

7. spray another coat, leave for another hour

8. gently rub down with 2000 grit

9.spray 1 last coat leave for 24 hours

10. gently rub down with 2000 grit

11. spray on colour, light coats same process as above leave for an hour between coats and rub down gently with 2000 grit.

12. after final coat of colour, you might put on up to 7 or 8, leave for 24 to 48 hours to harden off

13. rub down 1 last time with, you guessed it 2000 grit.

14. apply laquer, probably 2 coats.

15 leave to dry for 24-48 hours before fitting to car.

hope that helps

You need to thoroughly clean and degrease the wheel after taking it off. Also (common sense here) spend some time masking too.

:scare: Sounds very time consuming... thanks for that might do it if I've got some downtime over the summer :thumbs: