Brake pads JDM base model owners

Emperor Ming

Sorry mods.

Could not find a section for brakes and suspension so posted here.

Please feel free to move as you see fit.

My front pads have been a bit noise and seemed very hard on the discs so decided to go for a softer option. for all the car is a fast car I am as a rule a steady driver and am not a great fan of heavy accelleration followed by equally heavy braking so the heavy duty pad is not an issue for me.

Went to a very good local auto spares place that can get anything. We tried all sorts for pads and FAILED.

Went back with the car and the guy came out and together went through his book.

Guess what fits 100%

Nissan 200SX 1.8 turbo 91 to 94 :scare:

ABTEX Front pads which a slightly softer compound than those fitted at present cost £30 for the set!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :teeth::p:teeth: Code ABTEX691

I will give you a better update as they bed in but first signs are quite good.

The other bonus is that by now there are LOADS of upgrades for the 200SX so in the brake department they will also all fit the early Zeds.

If I remember correctly the 200SX upgrade was to utilise the 300Z brakes so it may be a route worth pursuing.

Also there may be some decent aftermarket stuff available to avoid the prohibitively expensive brembo route.

Ming the Hopeful

• 5 months later...
Sorry mods.

My front pads have been a bit noise and seemed very hard on the discs so decided to go for a softer option. for all the car is a fast car I am as a rule a steady driver and am not a great fan of heavy accelleration followed by equally heavy braking so the heavy duty pad is not an issue for me.

Went to a very good local auto spares place that can get anything. We tried all sorts for pads and FAILED.

Guess what fits 100%

ABTEX Front pads which a slightly softer compound than those fitted at present cost £30 for the set!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :teeth::p:teeth: Code ABTEX691

The other bonus is that by now there are LOADS of upgrades for the 200SX so in the brake department they will also all fit the early Zeds.

If I remember correctly the 200SX upgrade was to utilise the 300Z brakes so it may be a route worth pursuing.

Also there may be some decent aftermarket stuff available to avoid the prohibitively expensive brembo route.

Ming the Hopeful

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, Ming, but I was wondering how well these pads had worn. I have been considering replacing mine and have searched on the web to find a supplier. It seems that a number of them can supply a front set for about £25, but I have not come across the ABTEX ones. In fact, some sites don't specify the manufacturer at all.

Where did you get yours? Do the 200SX turbo pads also match the rears? Any advice would be most welcome.

Rear calipers are not the same as 200sx.

I am probably going to get flamed for this but I believe it is important.

Brakes and tyres are two things you should not skimp on. They are the two main items on the car keeping you alive.

The pads you have mentioned are not suitable for the car, yes they will fit but the compound rating is way off for the weight and power of the 350Z.

I really can't understand anyone wanting to risk their lives for the sake of saving £30 or so.

Please guys think hard before scrimping on these items I want to meet you guys for pleasure not at a funeral.

No argument with you on the safety front. I am looking for good advice on suitable replacement pads for a JDM '03 Z. Anything anyone can suggest will be considered.

" EBC red stuff " on mine Jim probably not the cheapest or the dearest but seem very good.. I fit a lot of EBC brakes to high performance motorcycles where the braking is paramount and the brand has a first class reputation :thumbs: reading through the specs for EBC I understand it as the red stuff compound is ideal for the Zed for road use / occasional track day use

Many thanks for the advice, Tim and Phil. :thumbs:

I had thought that EBC red stuff would be suitable - good to have that confirmed, and that they are available in the correct size for my car.

Phil - I will be in touch soon to place an order. :)

Sorry mods.

Guess what fits 100%

Ming the Hopeful

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, Ming, but I was wondering how well these pads had worn. I have been considering replacing mine and have searched on the web to find a supplier. It seems that a number of them can supply a front set for about £25, but I have not come across the ABTEX ones. In fact, some sites don't specify the manufacturer at all.

Where did you get yours? Do the 200SX turbo pads also match the rears? Any advice would be most welcome.

Hi Jim

I suppose it is horses for courses.

Even though i have owned many fast/very fast cars I do not drivel ike an idiot. At times I do drive fast but progessive and safely. When the need arises I use the brakes and hard.

I have suffered no fade and no problems with them but have not put them under 'track conditions'. I personally am more than happy with them and will be using them again.

If you are the sort of person who uses the accellerator as an on/off switch then maybe firmer more 'sporting' pads will be better for you but for day to day useage the pads are fine.

I know others will say that these pads are not suitable and i am ready to be shot down in flames here but:-

If the pads and discs are of the same material and contact area then the only other variables are weight and speed. Since we are considering similar speed/pads/discs then the only difference is weight. I have not checked up on spec but I would hazzard a guess that the 350z and the 200sx are similar in weight so the pads SHOULD be the same for each car. Even if the weight is different it will only be by the weight of an average passenger.

Ming the Simpletons thoughts

Sorry mods.

Guess what fits 100%

Ming the Hopeful

Hi Jim

Even though i have owned many fast/very fast cars I do not drivel ike an idiot. At times I do drive fast but progessive and safely. When the need arises I use the brakes and hard.

I have suffered no fade and no problems with them but have not put them under 'track conditions'. I personally am more than happy with them and will be using them again.

If you are the sort of person who uses the accellerator as an on/off switch then maybe firmer more 'sporting' pads will be better for you but for day to day useage the pads are fine.

I know others will say that these pads are not suitable and i am ready to be shot down in flames here but:-

If the pads and discs are of the same material and contact area then the only other variables are weight and speed. Since we are considering similar speed/pads/discs then the only difference is weight. I have not checked up on spec but I would hazzard a guess that the 350z and the 200sx are similar in weight so the pads SHOULD be the same for each car. Even if the weight is different it will only be by the weight of an average passenger.

200sx weighs 1520 kg's:

http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-sp ... index.html

:thumbs:

Sorry mods.

Guess what fits 100%

Ming the Hopeful

Hi Jim

200sx weighs 1520 kg's:

Thats the wrong model, the calipers in question are only on the S13 model which weighs in at 1270 kg and is 100bhp less in power.

All the arguments under the sun can go on here but the fact is when it comes down to it in a difficult braking situation these pads will simply not perform safely, I don't really have any issues on what people want to buy and who from but when it comes to performance and also reccomending to other members I do feel obliged to question anything that compromises the safety of the individual.

Just because they have stopped the car up to now does not mean they are effecient.

Put two cars side by side and do a controlled and properly measured brake test with these pads and a good grade pad and the difference will be astonishing.

We and many others involved in motorsport spend considerable time and money evaluating braking systems for good reason.

Sorry mods.

Guess what fits 100%

Ming the Hopeful

Hi Jim

200sx weighs 1520 kg's:

Thats the wrong model, the calipers in question are only on the S13 model which weighs in at 1270 kg and is 100bhp less in power.

All the arguments under the sun can go on here but the fact is when it comes down to it in a difficult braking situation these pads will simply not perform safely, I don't really have any issues on what people want to buy and who from but when it comes to performance and also reccomending to other members I do feel obliged to question anything that compromises the safety of the individual.

Just because they have stopped the car up to now does not mean they are effecient.

Put two cars side by side and do a controlled and properly measured brake test with these pads and a good grade pad and the difference will be astonishing.

We and many others involved in motorsport spend considerable time and money evaluating braking systems for good reason.

Sorry mate i was only trying to provide the info that ming said he didn't know. I have no knowledge at all of 200sx's and next to none on brake pads. Sorry if you thought i was contradicting what you said :blush::cry:

think that's the key. Why would the S13 pads fade in normal driving conditions?

Also about going BBK when you have hi-hp is imo not always applicable. Look at the Trial Supra on Jap Performance this month. 4pots Brembo brakes 340mm disks, 550-600bhp. Surely Jap tuners wouldn't want to skimp on brake setups for their showcars? (Supra weight can be considered similar to the Zeds, afaik)

think that's the key. Why would the S13 pads fade in normal driving conditions?

Also about going BBK when you have hi-hp is imo not always applicable. Look at the Trial Supra on Jap Performance this month. 4pots Brembo brakes 340mm disks, 550-600bhp. Surely Jap tuners wouldn't want to skimp on brake setups for their showcars? (Supra weight can be considered similar to the Zeds, afaik)

Ok in normal driving around town situations the brakes will be fine, but when it comes to a situation say on a motorway and you are at a fairly high speed and an emergency brake is required the brakes will struggle.

The main point as well is that the pads specified before are a budget pad. I can even get a pad that will fit the Z for £19 pair but you may as well make some yourself out of cardboard for what good they are.

With regards to the Trial Supra the brakes on that are substantial, a 340mm disc is classed as a large disc the non brembo Z has 296mm discs, the supra also has four pot calipers as opposed to the two piston caliper in the Z but the main point here is not the size of the set up, although it does has some relevance, but the pad material. The pad material has more bearing on braking efficiency than possibly any other factor and the differences between the material on the pad mentioned and say a Ferodo DS2500 is huge.

As I said before what people choose to fit is their choice but I still believe that caution should be exercised when reccommending something which is not up to spec for the car in question.

All it takes is for someone to take a trip to germany, decide to have a blast on an unrestricted road feeling totally comfortable with the brakes as they have been fine on the school run to then find that in braking from 100mph plus they don't work.

Who then takes responsibility for the reccommendation.

I assure you guys this is no sales pitch, I am purely comming at this from a safety angle.

Oh, and Sarnie I had no problem with your comment and apologies if my response infered that I had. :thumbs:

Who then takes responsibility for the reccommendation.

the person himself/herself. People have brains to decide for themselves, hopefully. Nonetheless Ming was just posting his experience, and he's still alive to answer your questions :)

Ming, any experience with regards to spirited driving?

Hi Guys

Blimey. I only put my two penny worth in. :blush:

Phil.

I was not and never would say that these pads are the equal of 'performance' pads. I would however say that they are within a very small margin of the standard pad. That was the point I was making.

The couple of times I have had to 'use' the brakes in a vengance they have been fine. i have not yet had to do a motorway speed 'slam on the anchors' type stop yet but would hope that I don't have to. I also never did one with standard pads either so would not have a base line to compare with.

Like a lot of things there are other variables. A well maintained system with fresh quality fluids will perform better than a better system with crap fluid, possibly contaminated with water.

Just Mings thoughts