Does washing the car remove the wax?

kazman

The last couple of weeks i have washed and waxed the car. I would rather just wax it once a month though, simply washing it the remaining weekends.

Would doing this remove the wax that is already on there though? I am using meguiars products btw.

The last couple of weeks i have washed and waxed the car. I would rather just wax it once a month though, simply washing it the remaining weekends.

Would doing this remove the wax that is already on there though? I am using meguiars products btw.

well in my early years I used to use fairy liquid to wash my car... and :scare: it took more then the wax off I'd say!!! Not sure re meguiars products if they keep the wax on the car but surely better then fairy liquid. I use baby Johnson shampoo these days and it's class and smells nice too :lol: Why don't you wax if properly every say 2 months and then use a quick detailer or wet wax after every wash? Takes 10 minutes to put on and off!

product_G12718.jpgpd_ice_spraydetailer.jpg

depends on which products if you are using a hard wax (ie collinite) and some wax friendly shampoo (ie dodo juice) no it shouldn't do the wax any harm. It also depends on the concentration of the shampoo, if you use a heap then it will probably strip some off. Use the right products in the right quantity and it should last a while.

R

depends on which products if you are using a hard wax (ie collinite) and some wax friendly shampoo (ie dodo juice) no it shouldn't do the wax any harm. It also depends on the concentration of the shampoo, if you use a heap then it will probably strip some off. Use the right products in the right quantity and it should last a while.

R

+1 - megs will be LSP safe (last step product - wax/sealant/etc), so used in the right concentration, it wont strip the wax, so you could wax once a month depending on the wax you are using. To wax once a month, you'd need a decent wax, and not a soft liquid wax. Anything from Dodo will do the distance.

Thanks for the replys.

I am using megs gold wax, which is a liquid.

The reason i asked is that when i put a hose over the car prioir to shampooing the water beaded beautifully, but when i was hosing the suds off after the shampoo it was sitting more like a sheet. Possibly i was a touch high on the concentration though!

What are these "wet waxes"? I google the nxt product you have attached a pic of but could not find many details on its application. Do you spray it on and wipe/buff it straight off again after the car has been washed? Or do you leave it on a while?

I cant figure out how it is any different (and therefore quicker) than the liquid wax i use, which takes about an hour...

Sounds like it will be the case. Although if wax is still present it will still sheet, but it should still bead up if water is sprinkled over it. By the sounds of it though, you saw it before and not after, so likely you have washed it off.

What shampoo are you using? Is it a megs wash? That should be LSP safe. So maybe try a lower concentration, although it might just be that the liquid wax doesnt last long. I know when I used to use P21S, it too was soft and needed topping up every 2 weeks or so. Dodo Supernatural lasts way longer, 2-3 months before it really needs a good top up.

What are these "wet waxes"? I google the nxt product you have attached a pic of but could not find many details on its application. Do you spray it on and wipe/buff it straight off again after the car has been washed? Or do you leave it on a while?

I cant figure out how it is any different (and therefore quicker) than the liquid wax i use, which takes about an hour...

you dont have to wait for the car to be perfectly dry before application and then you spray and mix in and use another cloth to buff (no need to wait) I would then do a final buff when finished with the whole car. Works fine but wont last obviously but fine for in between proper wax's. From the sounds of it your overdoing the concentration of cleaning products so keep it down. I also do parts of my car in different washes so say I start with the hood then I know I don't have to do the hood in the next 2-3 months (properly) then the next time I do the sides of the car and another time roof/rear... I dont like spending hours cleaning my car since It's a daily driver it would mean every weekend... not my cup of tee.

moved.

I think some of the wax goes after each wash or rain for that matter. Otherwise there would be no need to re wax the car monthly, bi monthly or when ever you get round to it. As pointed out before it does depend on partly how hard the wax is.

i used to use the megs gold wax with 100% carnuba wax in.

it has a great finish but since swapping to dodo juice supernatural wax (hard wax) i've noticed big difference.

its far easier to apply than the megs stuff and takes alot less effort to use.

lasts longer than the megs stuff. i still use the megs NXT wash which is wax friendly

i wax every other month and use dodo juice red mist quick detailer in between waxes.

Theres a great marketing con if you ever saw one! Carnauba wax is harder than concrete in its pure form, so you cant ever have a wax thats 100% carnauba!

Theres a great marketing con if you ever saw one! Carnauba wax is harder than concrete in its pure form, so you cant ever have a wax thats 100% carnauba!

:lol: maybe its 100% pure canaruba mix in it?

:lol: maybe its 100% pure canaruba mix in it?

Maybe ;)

To be fair I think it can be 100% by weight or something as the other bits they add weigh sod all. Something like that, still a marketing con though!

Here you go guys,this is 100% Carnuba.

If you put it near your paint it will scatch it. I use it for putting a VERY hard glase on wooden bowl I have turned.

(I am a part time woodturner) If it is held to firmly onto the wood,even Oak it will dent it.

I also grate it up,mix with bees wax and artists turpentine for use on quality gun stocks.

P4220003Medium.jpg

i use a 'wet wax' after nearly every wash as well - but Markie got me some new megs wash n wax for my birthday and although it smells like childrens liquid penicillin its pretty good and even after a wash with that the water was beading off the car and windows in tiny bouncy beads!

i use a 'wet wax' after nearly every wash as well - but Markie got me some new megs wash n wax for my birthday and although it smells like childrens liquid penicillin its pretty good and even after a wash with that the water was beading off the car and windows in tiny bouncy beads!

We'll get you using some proper stuff one day :p

I used this through the winter and its been really good and dead easy to apply the ace thing about it is that you can use it on the entire car, lights plastic and rubber as its silicon based not strictly a wax but turtle wax have been in the game for years and i trust their products and most importantly its kept the car looking clean .

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,1