Handbrake

cerealuk

Having had my zed for about 6 weeks now, my only real issue is the handbrake.

I've noticed that it needs to be pulled right on with a bit of force otherwise the car rolls back. With my previous cars you could put it on anywhere in the last 25% of its travel and it would hold the car steady, with the zed it has to go on the furthest point possible, a few mm short of this and weeeeeeeeee the cars off down the hill :scare:

How do you guys find yours? Should I go and get it adjusted ? :)

Get it adjusted. Can be a bit of a PITA and from what I gather most garages dont seem to do it right. But when I take mine in they do it every time and its pretty much always spot on. You still need to have it on quite hard, but it doesnt travel half as far to do it as when I first got the car!

Ah ok will get that looked at then

Car goes in to get the clutch fluid changed next week (the AA man said it was a dark colour when he did the vehicle inspection, althought this seems odd as it had a brand new clutch kit fitted the week before) so will get it done then

cheers :thumbs:

There is a wee hole at the rear hub if I am not mistaken.......look inside and you will see a wee cog. The turning of this tightens or loosens the handbrake I think.

Look at all the technical language...you can tell I am a trained mechanic :lol:

Have a look in the service manual (Guide or FAQ section for download IIRC). It tells you in there how to do it. Basically, its get the rear wheels off and up in the air. Turn the acces port on the disc around to 11-1 o'clock and you will see the winder. Wind it up until you can turn the wheel, then wind it back however many it tells you in the service manaul (IIRC about 4 clicks). Do this on both wheels and you should be good to go. Dont leave it too tight or it will rub all the time and could knacker the discs and handbrake drum/pads :surrender:

I think they're all require a reasonable yank. The service instructions suggest it should be between 6 and 7 notches on the ratchet to fully engage. After reading that, I decided against adjusting mine. As others have said, if you still decide to do yours, make sure you don't go too far!