thinking about taking my zed to a 1/4 mile

Chadwick

I wouldn't worry to much to be honest mate, Crail isn't the best judge for 1/4 times, its surface is a mess and there's debate about it being inclined. It's more like a back yard strip than anything. Get yourself mapped then go to a decent strip :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry to much to be honest mate, Crail isn't the best judge for 1/4 times, its surface is a mess and there's debate about it being inclined. It's more like a back yard strip than anything. Get yourself mapped then go to a decent strip :D

yeah i am just rely hopeing that a map wil sort this out is it common for zeds to lose power when moddified and not mapped ?

yeah i am just rely hopeing that a map wil sort this out is it common for zeds to lose power when moddified and not mapped ?

Does your car feel slow? Does it drive like a bag of nails?

I think you're getting too hung up on a run at crail to enjoy the car...

i had a yellow 106 gti that was running 170bhp and it would rip the ass of my zed any day so would evry other car ive had , 246bhp glanza , integra type R , s2000, 305bhp ibiza cupra , i can safley say at the moment the 350z is by far the slowest car i have ever owned

A 170bhp 106 is a lot lighter than a Zed so will have similar power to weight, the cupra will be rapid in a straight line but probably slower in the bendy stuff.

Zeds "feel" slow, but a quick look at the speedo shows you that your GT is a very rapid motor for making progress in the real world - When I swapped from my VRs i thought I was going down private roads I know at the same speed, when I checked the speedo I was going 10 to 20 mph faster than I did in the VRs :thumbs:

Hey when I went to crail in my 360bhp 200sx one of the closest battles I had was with a Nova!!!

To be fair it was a 2l Turbo that was totally stripped and running ~250bhp according to the lad....but I was still shocked to see a Nova hanging with me halfway through the 1/4 :scare: glad to say we left it pretty well at the top end though but still :surrender:

Dont get too hung up on it....just get an Uprev as people have suggested, having full throttle in 1st 2nd and 3rd should make a big difference. Failing that you should challenge the saxo to a track with corners and then see how it compares :lol:

no it dosent feel slow and no it runs great , but there is clearly a loss in power some where when im getting 15s at crail and yes i am getting a bit hung up on bad crail times i didnt get a 350z to get beat off a citroen saxo :thumbdown:

But at least you look B) while getting beat by a saxo! :lol::lol:

i know im not saying the zed is slow , but when i took it on the quater i had all the power i could want in 1st and 2nd and i was leaving cars behind even jamies 350 convertible my mate got a vid and im off to start with but as soon as i go into 3rd gear all the power is gone

A mate of mine has a Clio 180 and we've had a bit of a 'play' recently on the way home. I was amazed how well it kept up with the zed, like exactly the same until around 80mph-100mph (on private roads, of course ;) ).

It's the weight of the car. Clios and saxos are light, the Zed if a big massive heffer of a car. More GT than out-and-out sports car really.

The Zed does have hugely more torque though, pulling away in third I'd get a bigger gap to start but it'd still keep up.

I know which I'd rather be driving around in, not just because it's not a girls car, or because it looks sooo much better, but because it's more comfy, it's RWD and it's got torque - I don't need to thrash it, or change gears all the time to get power.

Having said all that - definitely get it remapped if it's had engine mods done. What airbox are you running, with what other mods?

The only problem with the 350z is it's lack of NA tuning potential. But if you go FI you can get massive power on the standard internals...

Having said all that - definitely get it remapped if it's had engine mods done. What airbox are you running, with what other mods?

The only problem with the 350z is it's lack of NA tuning potential. But if you go FI you can get massive power on the standard internals...

its a pipercross induction kit , have a k1 exhaust system decat oil cooler, plenum spacer

and dont know if anything else is done

Aplogoogies - i meant a SAXO VTS.

What revs are you changing at?? This seems very strange you have no power in 3rd???

it revs 2 7500 mate

erm - no it doesn't :wacko: unless you've had the limiter removed it will cut power at 6600rpm - I discovered that my first time at Knockhill

;)

Aplogoogies - i meant a SAXO VTS.

What revs are you changing at?? This seems very strange you have no power in 3rd???

it revs 2 7500 mate

erm - no it doesn't :wacko: unless you've had the limiter removed it will cut power at 6600rpm - I discovered that my first time at Knockhill

;)

yes it does ! revs to 7500 exactly , its a 2006 car with a 55 plate on it if that akes any difference

honistly guys my zed revs to 7500 , it goes on the rollers this sat so we will see then if my clocks are reading wrong but the spedo is spot on so i would imagine the rev counter is to

I think you'll find then someone has already attempted to tune your car....in which case judging on your results from the weekend there's something amiss so be very careful that whoever is putting it onto rollers at the weekend knows what they're doing with the zed - do not whatever you do sign a disclaimer and read the small print :thumbs:

honistly guys my zed revs to 7500 , it goes on the rollers this sat so we will see then if my clocks are reading wrong but the spedo is spot on so i would imagine the rev counter is to

I think you'll find then someone has already attempted to tune your car....in which case judging on your results from the weekend there's something amiss so be very careful that whoever is putting it onto rollers at the weekend knows what they're doing with the zed - do not whatever you do sign a disclaimer and read the small print :thumbs:

why what could go wrong with a dyno ?

You do understand that some complete stranger is going to open your throttle and rev the balls off your car consistently for 40mins or longer?

You've already been told that there is no-one in Scotland who knows the zed well enough to tune it effectively - so why would you trust any of them to stick it on a rolling road to even measure the outputs?

What are you hoping to achieve from Saturday? Where will they be taking the readings from? How many zeds have they worked with before? Have you even asked yourself these questions?

Only trying to get you to think things through....its your baby after all :thumbs:

have you thought that the reason your getting slow times on the 1/4 mile might be down to the driver. i've seen up too 2 seconds difference in the same car just with different drivers.

not meant to be offensive i'm sure your just like lewis hamilton but experience counts for alot and their is a nack to good launches. some of it may come with practice.

as for dyno'ing it, you really want your base map to be done on the same dyno as the place that will tune it. as comparing across dyno's is the same as blind **** measuring competition. you'll only get an accurate comparison of mods if its always done on the same one. your only option i suppose would be to map it and then put it back on the same rolling road you just used.

if your car is already revving up to 7500 then something has been played with.

there are only 2 companies in the UK that remap the standard ECU, thats abbey in surrey and RS tuning in leeds. so if it hasn't been to either of them its possible you have a piggy back ECU.

IMHO if your about 1 second off mr lizard on a quater mile and he races on a regular basis i would tend to think its the track and the driver being the cause for the slow speed.

if it hasn't been mapped yet, then a remap will defo make a big difference.