10000k HID's

Randomfry

Where did you get the bulbs from dude?

I fancy something a little whiter. 10k is a bit blue I reckon though.

Im not sure how good the pre facelift lights are. But does anyone find the HID's on the 06's to be @*!#. I'm really not impressed with mine at all. They look the part, and are better than halogens, but not by much. I think changing he ballasts would be an expensive affair as well :(

EDIT: I should add, increasing the colour temp will only reduce the brightness. Not increase it.

8k looks great in that picture. But I think anything over 6k and you're bordering on ricer. Headlights shouldn't be blue, or purple.

Like so:

colortempchart_large.jpg

and stolen from another forum:

3000k - 2800 lumens

4300K - 3200 lumens

6000K - 2600 lumens

8000K - 2200 lumens

OEM HIDs are usually around 4300k.

Am I correct in thinking that the normal lights are D2R's, the side lights are 501's and the full beams are H7's?

Also, I have an 03 import, how easy are these to fit?

Yes yes yes and not easy!

Bumper off job to change the headlight bulbs. Also, do u definitely have hid's as many jdm's had them disabled for the sva.

Am I correct in thinking that the normal lights are D2R's, the side lights are 501's and the full beams are H7's?

Also, I have an 03 import, how easy are these to fit?

Yes yes yes and not easy!

Bumper off job to change the headlight bulbs. Also, do u definitely have hid's as many jdm's had them disabled for the sva.

my lights are pretty lame tbh, which is why I was thinking of the upgrade of bulbs. I will be removing the bumper this weekend anyway to fit some mesh so I'll check then - if the HID's have been disabled will the ballasts etc still be there to use and what lights will they have used in the place of HID's?

It'll be pretty obvious if you've got HID's or not just by looking at the lights when you turn them on!

HID's are a lot sharper when they turn on and they get brighter if you watch them for the first few secs.

Well that's what I thought. But my lights do not seem very sharp to me, certainly not as sharp as previous sets of HID's I've used. But when I turn lights on they do the whole warming up and getting brighter to begin with which is usually a indication of HID's?

Where are the ballasts on the zed as I guess that would be the best way to find out for sure?

HID's warm up as you put it. Also, when starting up from cold, they almost "spark" into life. Very bright for a split second (20,000 volt ignition!), then very dim. They then brighten up and change colour over the course of 10 or so seconds.

Standard halogens don't show these characteristics. They simply turn on up to full brightness within about a second.

You'll also notice HIDs shut off instantly. The gas is either on/off essentially with no transition. Halogens fade off, as the filament cools, like an ordinary light bulb.

No Idea where the ballasts are. Honestly though, it's easy to tell with the above, with the corresponding behaviours.

When I said sharper I meant what number86 said when he said they spark into life, I was just poor at describing it :lol:

Definately sounds like you have them though, admittedly they are not as bright as the kit I fitted to my previous golf but I still find they are a vast improvement over halogens.