Mass air airflow meter failing??

sammy86

Hey Zed owners

Ive just been to the Nissan garage to see why me Engine Management light was on. They've come back to me and said both oxygen sensors have failed which they said is rare for them both to fail at the same time. The mechanic at nissan said it was the mass air flow meter which meters the fuel has failed! Has this happend to any of you zed owners out there? and could this cause damage to the engine or catalytic converter if i were to still drive it as Nissan want £324 to fit a new one that was incl £85 diagnostic check too!!

Any Ideas please.

Thanks

Sam

I'd give ZMANALEX a shout. In theory if your MAF is dead, then I can see how the fueling could be messed up as it doesnt meter the airflow correctly and doesnt fuel accordingly, and could kill the cats, but not the O2 sensors. But I am by no means an expert. If the MAF is dead, I beleive it should run on a safe map which means it knows how much fuel to add no matter how much air is flowing, but it wont be optimum, but shouldnt do any damage to the car.

I would speak to a pro though as that is just my educated guess. :)

Depends on how the MAF has failed. If it's dead and the car knows this then yes, it'll default to a safer map, but if it's giving erratic signals then the fuelling could well be out and kill the O2s easily enough as they're very delicate pieces of equipment.

Depends on how the MAF has failed. If it's dead and the car knows this then yes, it'll default to a safer map, but if it's giving erratic signals then the fuelling could well be out and kill the O2s easily enough as they're very delicate pieces of equipment.

Fair point :thumbs:

Preowned MAF sensors, front and rear o2 sensors all in stock for JDM and U.K models :thumbs:

o2 simulators also in stock :thumbs:

All available for same/next day shipping ;)

Just send me a pm if I can help you further. :)

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks alot Guys for your thoughts feeling a bit better, just collected the zed without taking the work carried out by nissan as im not paying a ridiculous £324 for a mass air flow sensor!! Will PM ZMANALEX for parts and do as you guys say and take it to a garage to get them fitted!

Have just driven her home, the car drives fine with no problems and the Engine management light is not on display anymore? Have they just cleared the fault although the service person said they couldnt clear the fault until the work had been carried out??

If you take a look at the MAF sensors which are located in the air intake pipe, just behind the airbox. You can see how easy they are to access and to swap out yourself. It really is only a matter of un-clipping the connector and unscrewing the old sensor from the mount, slide it out and drop the new one in. Think it might be a star-head screw, but it's worth investing in a screwdriver bit if you don't have one.

O2 sensors a bit more difficult to get to (ie under the car) but almost as easy to change...

Worth looking under the bonnet in any case...

Don't pay the Nissan stealers!

Best of luck however you go about it :thumbs: