350 on track

Jez @ H-Dev

Just got back from a trackday at Abingdon airfield, run by Motorsport Events. Had a great time with the 350 - only had it a month or so and this was the first time I'd taken it on track.

The car is pretty standard, apart from Performance Friction pads (which are awesome), new Silkolene brake fluid and de-cat pipes.

The car ran very well all day with no hint of fade from the brakes and I had a great time playing with a couple of BMW M3s and a 911 Carrera 4.

The only problem I had was that even with the traction control off the stability control kept meddling with the brakes - at first I thought it was ABS but the car was applying the brakes in some situations, which was annoying.

Anyone else had this? Is there a way to keep the anti lock brakes working but disable the stability control braking?

Welcome B)

I read from so guy in france who frequents the nurburgring with his zed that you can only fully disable it from somwhere behind the dash or center console ;) i will email him and find out exactly what it entails.

Do you have the Performance Friction 01 pads? i can vouch for them 1000%. i recently had to replace my Ksport sports pads (which are rebadged ferodo DS2500:P) after they disintergrated and almost damaged my front rotors :surrender: The ferodos where very good and very disc friendly but this PF01 pads are out of this world :scare: ..........like having your own personal anchor :teeth: Bite from cold is very good for a race compound pad and it gets even better when some heat gets into them! However, i am sure the trade off will be diminished disc life but i will live with that!

Just noted that you have decats with a standard setup. you will be making less power and torque likely unless you get an ECU remap. Abbey or RSTuning offer excellent service with these :thumbs:

If you could find out what needs to be done it'd be really helpful - I've just been through the Nissan service manual to see if theres anything obvious and apart from disconnecting the ABS actuator there doesn't seem to be any other option - I'm probably missing something though.

I'm pretty sure that the KSport sport pads aren't DS2500 - the DS2500 pads were an option (along with the road and sport pads) when I got a brake kit for my S13 (old shape 200SX). The DS2500 work very well as thats what I went for. I've tried the KSport road pads in an R33 GTR and they were aweful, not tried the sport version myself. The PF 01s are amazing though - best pad I've used so far :)

I've got the facility to remap the 350z ECU, so I was able to get the fuelling right and get rid of the check engine light before taking it on track.

It coped really well straight out of the box - no dramas at all. The only problem was the braking I wasn't asking for.

If you could find out what needs to be done it'd be really helpful - I've just been through the Nissan service manual to see if theres anything obvious and apart from disconnecting the ABS actuator there doesn't seem to be any other option - I'm probably missing something though.

I'm pretty sure that the KSport sport pads aren't DS2500 - the DS2500 pads were an option (along with the road and sport pads) when I got a brake kit for my S13 (old shape 200SX). The DS2500 work very well as thats what I went for. I've tried the KSport road pads in an R33 GTR and they were aweful, not tried the sport version myself. The PF 01s are amazing though - best pad I've used so far :)

I've got the facility to remap the 350z ECU, so I was able to get the fuelling right and get rid of the check engine light before taking it on track.

It coped really well straight out of the box - no dramas at all. The only problem was the braking I wasn't asking for.

Disabling the ABS isnt so easy, its a case of crossing fuses and bypassing. I think one problem is the link into the BCM or one of the other brains.

The people I would speak to are either MrLizard on here as I understand his is set up like this and he may point you in the direction of RJN as they have done it (been for a blast in their car a year or so ago and it makes a massive difference!

What you using to remap the car ?

Mark

I can't make the 27th :( - if you're doing any other days, get in touch - I'd be great to meet up with other people tracking their 350/370s :)

Maybe I have a problem with my car - no errors in the diagnostics though. The main problem, that happened on the same part of the track most laps, was the stability control (I think) - it was applying the brakes in some situations. Braking in a straight line was great, but trail braking into some corners and it started doing things I wasn't asking for.

Thanks for the advise - I'll get in touch with Lizard - they're the guys racing their 350z aren't they?

I'm using the UpRev system to remap.

Cool, so how you mapping yourself? You got the cable or you been to Abbey?

Yeh Steve (MrLizard) is running the black zed in the Nippon this year.

Cheers

I was chatting to an old friend who I'd not spoken to for a while at the track day today - he used to do Time Attack with me and is now doing the Nippon Challenge in an RX7 - its something I'm interested in, but it won't be for a while yet. He was very positive about the series - sounds like really good fun

I've got the cable - I've been mapping Nissans for a while now and thought I'd have a go at the 350z :)

Had it on the dyno at Surrey Rolling Road a couple of weeks ago - it was 100% standard then and made 257bhp, which is a bit low really, from what I gather.

Cheers

I was chatting to an old friend who I'd not spoken to for a while at the track day today - he used to do Time Attack with me and is now doing the Nippon Challenge in an RX7 - its something I'm interested in, but it won't be for a while yet. He was very positive about the series - sounds like really good fun

I've got the cable - I've been mapping Nissans for a while now and thought I'd have a go at the 350z :)

Had it on the dyno at Surrey Rolling Road a couple of weeks ago - it was 100% standard then and made 257bhp, which is a bit low really, from what I gather.

Was that at the wheel? Guessing so! 257 stock is pretty good, increase over stock fly numbers anyway. You live mapping and then running on the dyno or booking out dyno time at SRR?

No, that was at the fly, completely standard with cats and standard ECU maps :(

I've not done any mapping on the dyno yet - I'll be going back soon to see what we can get out of it.

Ah SRR's calculated numbers. So guessing your WHP was about 230 - 235? Still not sure about the % calculation they use but at least you have a base now to work from :)

Just so you know what you can get out of a stock one ;) @ wheels, in 4th gear.

StockvUprev.jpg

Nice result :)

I've used dynapack hub dynos (at Thor) and their hub figures seem to be similar to dyno dynamics fly figure - I don't want to start a dyno figures converstion (as they sometimes cause pointless agruments) as all dynos are different.

As you've said, I've got a base to start from and will (hopefully) improve from there :)

No problems Jez, i will find out for you and in the general interest of the forum.

i drive with esp off on track and i find that big brother only interupts one or two usually tight corners with camber chane but is very brief and the car remains stable and predictable though you loose a bit of exit speed :p I find that being smooth and porgessive sorts the problem!

Very fascinating to tknow that you remap yourself :thumbs: Is it a hobby or work. I might pop in someday and see your setup! i am always stopping in reading and bassingstoke enroute to London to say hi to old acquaintance.

Started as a hobby and now its work - probably shouldn't mention who as we're not authorised traders on here. We're based about 2 miles from J13 off the M4, near Newbury - PM me if you'd like to pop in :)

Not for long though hopefully Jez, we're ready to go when you are :thumbs:

Sounds like you had a cracking day :drive1

Hi Jez got the ESP info from Taurim of my350z france as promised B) He is a good lad and Ring hero :thumbs: (best lap 08:11)

See vid:

"To totally cut the ESP, I added a switch to cut the ground wire on the yaw sensor harness. As soon as i push the switch, the 2 ESP indicators on the dashboard indicate a default and the ESP is totally off.ABS remains active.

When you cut the power with the key and turn it back on you have the ESP back.

I installed the switch in the little glove box in the center console behind the gear stick.

http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files/up ... sp-off.jpg

The thing with the red button is a LANC remote to trigger my video recorder installed in the glove box behind the passenger seat. So it's invisible for the ring marshalls :-)

I dont remember the color of the ground wire (white and green ?...) but you can easily find it with an ohm-meter : 0 ohm with the chassis.

Some prefer to cut the power wire (orange, N°3 on the plug)".