New Y and HFCs - bringing out the grinder.

Wookiee22

Finally I've got around to fitting my HKS Y-pipe and Kinetix HFCs, supplied by Alex :thumbs:

Hit a slight stumbling block however - the bolts attaching the mid section to the Y are well and truly seized. Had this issue when fitting my K2 catback and we had to resort to a chisel! That was on a ramp though, this time I'm on stands and there isn't really a lot of malleting room under there. Nut cracker has failed, mole grips have failed, not had a great deal of luck. So I've got myself an angle grinder to get those b###ers off. Just hope the snow lets up tomorrow so I can use it without electrocuting myself!

Will get pictures up of everything (in particular the HKS shininess) tomorrow, with any luck.

best of luck mate :thumbs:

must be all the salt there? had no issues with that really on mine...always spray that 'get my nutts out easier' spray :teeth:

I think it might be - particularly coming back from Germany - they are very liberal with the grit over there. Got to say I approve though. :D

WD40 is crap, you need proper penetrating oil like PlusGas :thumbs:

I will certainly try that next time - I think I've seen my Dad using it, should have been a clue perhaps! I feel it may be a little late this time around - what's remaining hardly resembles a nut any more!

WD40 is crap, you need proper penetrating oil like PlusGas :thumbs:

+1 amazing stuff!

Wookie... sounds like you need some firepower now!! get the acetylene torch on it!

If the grinder fails, that may be the next option. :thumbs:

Phone this guy!!

70453-1.jpg

:scare: he only does clamped cars if I remember correctly :bounce:

Done. :D

Bloody hell that was emotional though!

Needed the grinder to get the bolts off eventually and after that it was pretty much plain sailing, until it got to removing the O2 sensors from the cats. One came out no dramas at all (got the proper 22mm split wrench) but the 2nd, :angry:

Didn't want to torch it due to the sensor - it eventually took a good hour of brute force and ignorance to get it off, a series of rounding off the bolt and filing edges back on. Had to cut the heat shield off the oem cat in the end to get a decent clearance for a 22mm crescent spanner.

Will get photos when it's daylight again. Have just taken it for a spin to get some heat into it and cure the gasket stuff. Noise is :teeth:

Done. :D

Bloody hell that was emotional though!

Needed the grinder to get the bolts off eventually and after that it was pretty much plain sailing, until it got to removing the O2 sensors from the cats. One came out no dramas at all (got the proper 22mm split wrench) but the 2nd, :angry:

Didn't want to torch it due to the sensor - it eventually took a good hour of brute force and ignorance to get it off, a series of rounding off the bolt and filing edges back on. Had to cut the heat shield off the oem cat in the end to get a decent clearance for a 22mm crescent spanner.

Will get photos when it's daylight again. Have just taken it for a spin to get some heat into it and cure the gasket stuff. Noise is :teeth:

:scare: Jesus christs that sounds bad... well done!

It's a 04 with 43k. Most of the recent mileage has been motorway/autobahn. Lots of salt on the roads the past couple of months in Germany, I reckon this may be the reason for the problems!

Have replaced the hardware with A4 stainless steel, supposedly marine resistant. Just have to see how that gets on!

It's a 04 with 43k. Most of the recent mileage has been motorway/autobahn. Lots of salt on the roads the past couple of months in Germany, I reckon this may be the reason for the problems!

Have replaced the hardware with A4 stainless steel, supposedly marine resistant. Just have to see how that gets on!

Hi Andy, good to meet today, have a good trip back, shame you couldn't come along tomorrow.

I have to say, the Avatar is so so close to real life :teeth:

May see you there again.

Hi Andy, good to meet today, have a good trip back, shame you couldn't come along tomorrow.

I have to say, the Avatar is so so close to real life :teeth:

May see you there again.

Thanks Martin! :p

Didn't get to do a proper test on the way back over - roads were very wet all through Europe. Can certainly feel the difference though. I can certainly see me returning there in the near future - just waiting on a load of kit to arrive. I'm definitely up for a meet as well.