Engine Idle RPM

narcotix

Hey,

While driving home from work today I noticed that my engine idle RPM was slightly higher than normal ... I thought it might just be while the car is warming up, but even by the time I got home it was still higher than normal ...

I've just checked for any error codes but there were none ... I reset the ECU just incase and it seems to have dropped to around what it is normally ... I'm hoping that after a bit of driving the learning features will sort it out ...

Anyway I was just curious about what the idle RPM was for other members ... Thanks!

mines the same, always starts off around 1,500 once cold but then gradually falls down to about 8k.

seemed strange when i first got the car but then realised it was meant to do that.

Not sure revving it at 8k is good ;)

around 1500 cold then 500 without ac on and 800 with it on... gets higher once the bleeding tb needs cleaning.

mines the same, always starts off around 1,500 once cold but then gradually falls down to about 8k.

seemed strange when i first got the car but then realised it was meant to do that.

around 1500 cold then 500 without ac on and 800 with it on... gets higher once the bleeding tb needs cleaning.

:scare: 8k is 8,000 not 800

:scare: 8k is 8,000 not 800

Sorry missed to comment on that :lol: wouldnt keep it there for two long... B)

Thought so lol :lol: ........ and I keep thinking I've made your posts due to avatar similarity :blush:

is that you with your knee down and where?

lol I do the same :lol: might just have to change the avatar!

oh and its me yeah, you?

Thought so lol :lol: ........ and I keep thinking I've made your posts due to avatar similarity :blush:

is that you with your knee down and where?

lol I do the same :lol: might just have to change the avatar!

oh and its me yeah, you?

:#1: son at Philip Island

I haven't drove the car since I did the reset procedure but it was idling at around 800 warmed up ...

It's strange as earlier it was idling at 1000 - 1200 and that was even after a 20 miles drive ...

I guess I'll find out tomorrow after the morning commute .. Thanks for all the responses guys!

:thumbs:

I've just got to work and the Idle RPM seems a little high again ...

I'm sure it was previously idling at around 700 - 800 RPM ... and now it's at 1000 RPM ...

The only thing I have done in recent days is clean out my throttle body ...

Any ideas?

The only thing I have done in recent days is clean out my throttle body ...

Sounds like you've disturbed the butterfly slightly while cleaning so it's not closing properly at idle?

Would be my guess. I believe there is an idle air learning procedure you can do, have a google for it :)

What did you do to clean it? IIRC moving it to clean it can bugger it right up in some cases. Most cases, doing a idle air relearning procedure fixes it.

This link was posted in another topic which I've been saving for when I clean out my TB....

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Good man, thats the one. These are the 3 to run:

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning

Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.

2. Turn ignition switch “ON†and wait at least 2 seconds.

3. Turn ignition switch “OFF†wait at least 10 seconds.

4. Turn ignition switch “ON†and wait at least 2 seconds.

5. Turn ignition switch “OFF†wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.

2. Turn ignition switch is “ONâ€.

3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF†wait at least 10 seconds.

Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)

It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures

1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learningâ€.

2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learningâ€.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Turn ignition switch “OFF†and wait at least 10 seconds.

5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON†and wait 3 seconds.

6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)

7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.

9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.

10. Start engine and let it idle.

11. Wait 20 seconds.

12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Should hopefully sort it out :thumbs:

On thing to note is that the idle air volume learning procedure needs to be carried out under more controlled conditions - one of which involves the engine coolant temperature being at a certain level. I don't remember the exact details but they are in the service manual. It's not a very easy procedure to carry out as far as I am concerned - as much as I tried to do this myself I didn't succeed.

In my case I had to have the procedure carried out by Nissan. After this my car at idle is running at 650 RPM.

I did all the resets mentioned on the link yesterday after my drive home from work, the car was fully warmed up by then and thought it was the ideal opportunity ...

I followed the instructions and all went well ... It looks like it's probably worked but I'll need drive it a few more times to know for sure.

With AC off the idle speed is currently about 75 - 850 RPM ... and with the AC on it's about 1000 RPM.

Does that sound about right?

I did all the resets mentioned on the link yesterday after my drive home from work, the car was fully warmed up by then and thought it was the ideal opportunity ...

I followed the instructions and all went well ... It looks like it's probably worked but I'll need drive it a few more times to know for sure.

With AC off the idle speed is currently about 75 - 850 RPM ... and with the AC on it's about 1000 RPM.

Does that sound about right?

sounds right to me.