How much *should* a P3 service cost..?

andyvvc

Just called Nissan in Notts. Told them i need a P3 service, but already have an air filter (K&N) and will supply my own oils (OpieOils engine, diff and gearbox). All i need them to supply is coolant and brake fluid...and a new oil pan nut and washer.

I would think 300 - 350 for a P3 with all the parts is a fair enough price. Thoughts on what i ought to be paying Nissan given that im providing most of the 'parts' ?

Im due a call back later today - tenner says they want over 300 quid despite my supplying the parts ! :scare:

Im having the following done:

Coolant (including a backflush cos i have that solenoid noise at 4k+ rpm sometimes)

Brake fluid

Engine oil

Diff oil

Gearbox oil

Pollen filter (apparently it has one - i thought they didnt?)

There is no pollen filter.

Coolant and brake fluid are additional items over normal service cost, so the quote will contain about £100 for those two bits. Diff and gearbox oil don't need changing on the 350 (but some do just to be safe), and again aren't part of the service quote so another £50-£100 will be for that. If you can get the whole lot done for £300 you're doing well as the actual "service" part will only be a round £150!

Brake fluid was done nearly 18 months ago and ive driven a looooong way since then, so i will certainly get that done. I didnt realise diff and gearbox were "for life" items though? Surely these need servicing at some interval?

Is the diff a sealed unit? Am i best to simply NOT get that oil changed - especially as the Nissan mech might never have done that before?

And i thought this would be a simple service for them :headhurt:

Brake fluid was done nearly 18 months ago and ive driven a looooong way since then, so i will certainly get that done. I didnt realise diff and gearbox were "for life" items though? Surely these need servicing at some interval?

Is the diff a sealed unit? Am i best to simply NOT get that oil changed - especially as the Nissan mech might never have done that before?

And i thought this would be a simple service for them :headhurt:

Brake fluid is included in a P3... i thought coolant was to be honest but i could be wrong.

Diff oil... it can be serviced, its not a sealed unit, but my point of view is to leave it alone... i think more problems are likely to arise from it rather than any improvements.

Diff isnt sealed, but Nissan dont specify when the oil needs changing AFAIK, same with the gearbox. Most that do change them are tracking their cars where you do need to change it due to the excess heat you generate breaking down the oil over time :thumbs:

+1 Brake fluid is part of a P3. It is at L&G anyway

Some dealers "may" do the brake fluid as part of a P3, but strictly it is an additional service item at additional cost due every 2 years or 27,000 miles (whichever comes sooner) rather than with any specific service. Ditto the coolant (every 3 years/36,000 miles). Page 19 in your service/warranty book will reveal all ;)

Here is the service checklist. The additional items are ringed in blue and are not part of the general service.

You'll also notice the only difference between the P2 and P3 items is the diff oil (ringed in red) that doesn't need doing as we have a viscous coupling, so no difference between a P2 and a P3 as far as the 350 is concerned (apart from the robbing stealer's price)

Service-schedule.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I've still not heard back from Nissan, which would suggest that they are struggling to find "350z" in any of there technical service bulletins :teeth:

I'll probably leave the diff oil out given that this is the same service centre that snapped my bleed nipple (oo-er!) last time they did the brake fluid change :wacko: I dont want to cause them too many headaches in one sitting...

I have still not heard back from them...odd. I want to spend money with them, and i have to do all the chasing :lol: Service Centre rep said she will call me later today or tomorrow with an idea of the price.

Anywhere else in Notts that does service maintenance for sports cars? :dry:

Thats probably about right

My local dealer charges £40 per hour . If you are supplying all fluids then sounds ok- I know they quoted me £14 per spark plug, plus labour and £12 per litre for fully sync oil but are happy for me to supply. I think given the economic climate and a lot of people not servicing their cars their a lot more flexible nowadays :thumbs:

sounds very cleap if they are supplying the brake fluid and coolant :dry:

I did end up paying £108 ! Amazing! 70 quid labour, plus the rest to cover brake and coolant fluid. I supplied oils from OpieOils for the engine and gearbox. Also supplied the filter. Very impressed! I was asked to wait 40 minutes when i went to get the car, because the workshop lads were running the car up after putting the coolant in (to check for air blocks i guess). Apparently they were a bit behind schedule because they had problems fitting a Nissan Tracker to a new 370z that was due for delivery that day. Good excuse i guess B)