Headlight Washers

s1xtyn1n3

I think I've got an issue with the headlight washers on my Zed. Since i got the car a couple of weeks ago, I have never got them to work. What ever I try, I just hear a noise (which sounds not dissimilar to normal washer jets) but the washers do not eject and no fluid seems to be coming from them at all.

Am I missing something? (and yes, it is a UK Z :))

I think I've got an issue with the headlight washers on my Zed. Since i got the car a couple of weeks ago, I have never got them to work. What ever I try, I just hear a noise (which sounds not dissimilar to normal washer jets) but the washers do not eject and no fluid seems to be coming from them at all.

Sounds like lack of fluid .... the headlight washers are fed from the LHS reservoir and although the reservoirs are connected, the headlight washers will fail before the windscreen washers ... in a way it's good because you get an early indication of low fluid ....... so to check for a fault, fill to brim, start the car, turn the lights on dipped beam and pull washer stick towards you for screen wash and flick wipe and, hopefully, a headlight wash....... oh and do it when the thermometer has been above freezing for a while :)

Yeah, lights on, correct button being pressed, liquid in the bottle as the main washers work (unless there's a seperate one...)

There doesn't appear to be any liquid under the car so i guess it could be the hose, but i've not really had a nose under the bonnet to see what's going on yet (i'm pretty useless at that stuff!).

Failing someone suggesting something obvious i'm missing, i'll take a look tomorrow or friday and see if i can see anything. It's still under warranty though but at a dealership that's best part of 100 miles away so taking back there is pretty much a last resort :)

Sounds like lack of fluid .... the headlight washers are fed from the LHS reservoir and although the reservoirs are connected, the headlight washers will fail before the windscreen washers ... in a way it's good because you get an early indication of low fluid ....... so to check for a fault, fill to brim, start the car, turn the lights on dipped beam and pull washer stick towards you for screen wash and flick wipe and, hopefully, a headlight wash....... oh and do it when the thermometer has been above freezing for a while :)

Cool, i'll check the levels tomorrow. It has just had its 45k service a few weeks ago - thought they might have topped it back up which is why i haven't really bothered looking yet. I did consider it might be down to the fluid in the pipes freezing due to the crappy weather.... Norwich is forecasted for some pretty cold weather over the next few days so at least it gives me an excuse to go give the car a run :D

Cool, i'll check the levels tomorrow. It has just had its 45k service a few weeks ago - thought they might have topped it back up which is why i haven't really bothered looking yet. I did consider it might be down to the fluid in the pipes freezing due to the crappy weather.... Norwich is forecasted for some pretty cold weather over the next few days so at least it gives me an excuse to go give the car a run :D

If it's freezing going for a run will make it worse ............ the washer jet covers will be stuck closed and will stay stuck closed until the ambient air temperature is well above freezing

had this issue the other week after the deep freeze.thought i d balls em up when trying to use the screen washers with the h/lamps on by mistake.

just top up the washer bottle.....5 ltrs of water and screen wash :lol: and to my joy they work again.

amazing what you learn on this forum.... :thumbs:

OK, so they're working now :) No prizes for guessing what fixed it, but here's a clue:

Thanks guys :D

That'll be £15.50 + VAT then please sir ;)