Question about the OEM amp

Waynerrr

Nope. No other way to connect an MP3 player properly than to swap the head unit over really (forget the crappy tape and FM adaptors if you want anything approaching decent sound), and tbh you'll be glad you did as just about anything is better than the stock Bose. :thumbs:

Exactly right. If you've got 32GB of music in your car, then why would you need CDs? I don't miss them at all, especially not the fannying around of either carrying loads in the car or running out of tunes because you haven't got enough.

Exactly right. If you've got 32GB of music in your car, then why would you need CDs? I don't miss them at all, especially not the fannying around of either carrying loads in the car or running out of tunes because you haven't got enough.

yeah i binned the cd's many years ago and never looked back ! im sure it must be a littel sfer too not haveing to faff about putting a cd while moving !

Is it correct that the bose amp works on 1ohm and so does the speakers? if thats true it will be a royal pain changing speakers and or amp :blackeye:

Think the speakers are 4ohm. I seem to remember them being half normal ones, which I think is 8ohm. Either than or normally its 4ohm and they are 2ohm :surrender:

Is it correct that the bose amp works on 1ohm and so does the speakers? if thats true it will be a royal pain changing speakers and or amp :blackeye:

Think the speakers are 4ohm. I seem to remember them being half normal ones, which I think is 8ohm. Either than or normally its 4ohm and they are 2ohm :surrender:

found this on another forum... :scare:

Well buddy, you've fallen into Bose hell like so many others!

The amps are always blowing out. the speakers are 1 ohm or so and wont work with anything but the Bose amp. and the Bose amp wont work well with anything but the original unit.

Best way to deal with this is change out all the speakers (they stink anyway) run your own wires from the new speakers directly to the cd player location (bypassing the old Blose amp) and get a new NON FACTORY cd player like Alpine or a brand you prefer.

There are "kits" that say they can adapt for blows (I mean Bose) but in actuality you will end up replacing part after part even if you can get it to work. Especially if the harness in the car is different than what's available, you are going to end up cutting the harness off and testing each wire anyway. Best method is described above, this way you only have to find power and ground and abandon the remaining wires. Heck for power and ground you can just run your own and abandon the entire factory harness all together!

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear but it seems to be the trend with these.

Has anyone else taken out the speakers and had a look on the back of them? Think I need to figure out for sure before shelling out on speakers... might need to budget for an amp too :lol: and a headunit :lol: and cabling :headhurt:

Can't remember the ohm rating, but they ain't normal. Input and output levels are all over the place!

As for CDs vs. MP3 - I guess it depends how good your system is as to whether you can do without CDs...... ;)

indeed but jamm the bit rate up and the quality is quite beond the limits of most equipment people will be fitting.

from what i hear using the infinity 20hm speaker works well but best bet as always with oem ammped setups if you can stomch the wireing it all then bin the lot !

evena cheap amp for £100-150 and £100 ish for speakers wil be worlds ahead and be alot louder !

A good qaulity CD will still wipe the floor with an MP3 just by the very nature of the compression. When you get into serious sounds you will hear the difference. Those using standard quality MP3 files you needn't bother getting a sub that goes much below 40Hz as the curve drops right off. :)

Normal impedance for car-stereo is 4ohm. For hifi home stereo is 8ohm (and 12ohm for some tweeters).

The bose stereo is on 1ohm, to minimise power consumption and produce loudness from a mini-amplifier. However, quality is sacrificed. This is why the standard Bose system is using a very small amplifier for all those speakers.

If you are about changing speakers, it is better to take the whole amplifier off the new speakers and plug them straight in the new stereo, or the 4ohm speakers that you have just got will be always thirsty for more power (4 times more) that the poor mini-amp does not have.

Normal impedance for car-stereo is 4ohm. For hifi home stereo is 8ohm (and 12ohm for some tweeters).

The bose stereo is on 1ohm, to minimise power consumption and produce loudness from a mini-amplifier. However, quality is sacrificed. This is why the standard Bose system is using a very small amplifier for all those speakers.

If you are about changing speakers, it is better to take the whole amplifier off the new speakers and plug them straight in the new stereo, or the 4ohm speakers that you have just got will be always thirsty for more power (4 times more) that the poor mini-amp does not have.

Thanks for the info, will just rip it all out I'd say... does the headunit take normal RCA cables to the AMP? :boat:

i think so since the harness just plugs in to the headunit rcas but you wouldnt want to use the wires that are there . by the time youve cut and spliced and figured out the wires you could just run new rcas, your gonna be runing power and stuff there anyways.

the only not so simple part is getting the new power wires back to the speakers.