Clunking from rear

Space Cadet

Hope this doesn’t open up a can of worms, but something’s bugging me…..

I can hear a bit of a clunk/bumping noise when going slowly over not 100% perfect road, definitely is coming from the rear, possibly the right but can’t be certain.

The car was up on the ramps a couple of weeks ago and the exhaust was fine – wouldn’t budge, so unless it’s knocking against something when it gets hot I don’t think it’s that.

Sounds more suspension or drive train like, never had a modern rear wheel drive so may be its just part and parcel of rwd.

It might even be say the boot or the spare wheel, although I don’t think it is.

Dose anyone else hear this, or knows what it might be?

Thanks.

Thanks Liam

Doesn’t sound like a click, more a bump/clunk?

Good idea, could take the spare wheel and jack out etc and see if it stops.

It could even, although I don’t think it is, be the boot knocking, do you know if its able to ‘tighten’ the catch at all? – had a similar thing on a hatchback once.

I wondered about the boot lid, not sure how to 'tighten' the catch?

Think I’ve got all the bits - the jack, lever, and a small spanner thing. The spare wheel won’t budge, nor will the jack as I’ve opened it a bit to wedge in the space.

Don’t think its anything from inside the boot, may be the boot lid or something mechanical from the rear end.

Thanks, but it's definitely a proper clunk - I’m starting to think more along the lines of it being the boot lid (unless there is a suspension/axle problem as well) because I’ve done the ‘pennies in the boot spring’ thing as per the other thread and I think the clunking is a bit better. Perhaps the extra strength of the spring with the pennies in is holding the lid a bit firmer against the catch.

Might try another penny, will be 4 each side (god this is costing me a fortune!!) and probably as much as it could fit and see if it makes any difference.

Could do with tightening the boot catch if anyone knows how to?

• 1 year later...

BUMP!

Mine has started making a clunk from underneath - sounds like the rear suspension area or maybe even the diff :scare:

Just check the rear TC arms and they seem to be pretty solid, the exhaust is not moving either - did space cadet find out what was causing his clunk in the end?? Anything else it could be??

The car is a 50k mile import from 03/04 with Rays on it and Ive only just noticed the clunk in the last two days :)

Ive looked, but its a clunk - like the exhaust knocking into the bottom of the car. The car has also only just started doing it after 50K miles, and I thought the axle problem usually manifested itself after around 10K??

Can be at anytime. Mine came at about 27k. :)

Ive looked, but its a clunk - like the exhaust knocking into the bottom of the car. The car has also only just started doing it after 50K miles, and I thought the axle problem usually manifested itself after around 10K??

does it happen when you reverse slowly

have you checked for play on the wheel bearings and wheel nuts (may sound daft but it has been known) ? check the bushes on the suspension , the driveshaft is definitely a click not a clunk

when does it clunk ?

acceleration

deceleration

braking

rough roads

potholes

Thanks, but it's definitely a proper clunk -

(god this is costing me a fortune!!)

Hmm, was just thinking how come I missed this thread. Anyway, Docwra I can say from personal experience with my darling little Z, have your axle assemblies (especially your right one - it's the one I replaced a couple of months ago) for excessive play. Put on hoist, or even on ground, handbrake off, give the axle a good hard yank, if it's that, you will feel and see the play, hear it clonking. Also pay if you can to have another Zed the same spec to back to back check.

The correct term is "Unusal Axial Looseness". Refer to http://www.350z-tech.com. There is a 12 page document there for this on the workshop manual.

If basically means the fixed end (wheel end) of the axle assembly has more play than it should, and yes it will clonk & clunk over rough surfaces, bumps, driveways, etc, etc. You will also feel it popping in and out going around corners, one way more than the other depending on which is the offending axle assembly (presuming this is what it is). Been there, done this. Huge sigh.................. My axle assembly at Trade Price (discounted) was $1700 NZD for the component by it's self, obviously plus labour.

As we speak my 350 is having it's rear subframe replaced. Yes, I know, the shock, colour me exceptionally ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry: Been battling with Nissan for 2 years now, and I'm now at my own cost replacing the rear subframe. :angry: As I've discovered the excess compliance (movement) between the rear subframe & the chassis will also make clonking noises and other not so delightful metallic noises. (Note this car has basically been off the road this year, and a bit longer for these reasons).

The bushes are pressed into the rear subframe, so it's a whole drop and replace process.

I have used a large number of 8 point Laser wheel alignments amongst other things, like going to numerous very highly qualified mechanics to check and track what's happening.

Oh, for your information I've had my Z since new, never been tracked or raced (much to my disgust), it's never been able to hold an alignment since new, has become worse and worse as time has passed. Now just clocked 57kms.

If you have any the problems my Z has had, also have your driveshaft checked over, yes, I've had that replaced too, as with the shocks it seized about 20k ago + more stuff, if not longer. :angry::angry: Another huuuuugeeee sigh.............................

Have you checked for play on the wheel bearings and wheel nuts (may sound daft but it has been known)? Check the bushes on the suspension, the driveshaft is definitely a click not a clunk

When does it clunk?

acceleration

deceleration

braking

rough roads

potholes

Also as Gixxeruk says, also have the above checked. There has been numerous cases in the US of bad wheel bearings on 350's. But this would be a different sort of sound generally. Also the driveshaft will vibrate you'll feel in your seat, your pedals, the firewall, the gear stick etc. As it gets worse it becomes more audible.

Please if I can help at all, ask, I would hate to see anyone else got through the absolute hell I've been through with my Zed!!!!! :rant::angry: And no I will not be buying a 4th brand new Nissan again. :lol:

Most of all take it to the best people you can find for a diagnosis. Docwra, how many kms/miles does your Zed have on the clock????

Very interesting post bronzee. You suggest a number of possibilities for the clunking noise and in my drunken haze I'd guess at least one is right. I remember with my old Z it was at standstill while changing from 1st to reverse that made the noise so maybe it was the drive shaft. Anyway I sold that Z with 16k miles on it I think.

Very interesting post bronzee. You suggest a number of possibilities for the clunking noise and in my drunken haze I'd guess at least one is right. I remember with my old Z it was at standstill while changing from 1st to reverse that made the noise so maybe it was the drive shaft. Anyway I sold that Z with 16k miles on it I think.

Also with the driveshaft, if you are driving along, take your foot off the go pedal for a second, if the vibration stops, if it most likely the driveshaft.

It's only a 10 minute job to drop the 4 bolts out of the 350 driveshaft anyway, to see if the UJ is excessively notchy or acceptable.

Been though all this stuff with all my 350 + more. :wacko: The ultimate car to have that looks great sitting, you just can't go anywhere in it. :lol: