Clunking from rear

Space Cadet

Nice one - some really useful stuff there :)

Id start by saying that this is my 10th Nissan coupe and I own another two so Im kinda used to weird noises and the like :D

Gixxer - The clunk seems to happen totally randomly on jerky acceleration or when going over a bump BUT NOT EVERY TIME - I drove 35 miles to work this morning and it didnt do it at all, but on the way home the day before it must have done it 5/10 times (with provocation). Its seems to be bumpy left hand corners that are most likely to make it happen.

Obviously this is a known problem so the Q Id ask is does it do it just once, or twice every 10 seconds, or constantly - Im still wondering if its as suspension arm that has come loose or something :wacko:

The clunk seems to happen totally randomly on jerky acceleration or when going over a bump BUT NOT EVERY TIME - I drove 35 miles to work this morning and it didnt do it at all, but on the way home the day before it must have done it 5/10 times (with provocation). Its seems to be bumpy left hand corners that are most likely to make it happen.

Obviously this is a known problem so the Q Id ask is does it do it just once, or twice every 10 seconds, or constantly - Im still wondering if its as suspension arm that has come loose or something :wacko:

Docwra, how many miles/kms has your 350 done????

With my Zed it started out not happening quite so much, it's just got worse and worse, to the point of not being safe to drive as it couldn't even hold an alignment for 1km driving away from the alignment shop. And for my car, it couldn't even go straight on a flat surface, if you hit even a tiny bump, or seal inconsistancy, it was all over the place. So very frequently.

Docwra, have your 350 professionally check out yet?????

Ive not yet - been very busy and away in europe last week, but the car has mysteriously stopped doing it :headhurt:

The car has done 80k kms and other than this is fine - Im wondering if its a suspension thing because I really cant see that this is a) clicking or B) the rear axle.

I did notice it wandering a little when I drove to the airport on Weds, but it was a windy day so just put it down to that - other than that alignment seems to be fine.

Just as a suggestion, is it worth getting a sticking in the tech sections regarding this rear axle thing - Ive not found much info here that says "It does this when you accelerate, but not when you brake. Check these things first, and if it is the axle you'll need to do the following" which would be handy if its aknown issue :)

The car has done 80k kms and other than this is fine - Im wondering if its a suspension thing because I really cant see that this is a) clicking or B) the rear axle.

I did notice it wandering a little when I drove to the airport on Weds, but it was a windy day so just put it down to that - other than that alignment seems to be fine.

Just as a suggestion, is it worth getting a sticking in the tech sections regarding this rear axle thing - Ive not found much info here that says "It does this when you accelerate, but not when you brake. Check these things first, and if it is the axle you'll need to do the following" which would be handy if its aknown issue :)

If it's "wandering a little" the first thing I'd check out would be the shocks. If there is any doubt take them to a reputable shop with a "dyno shock testing machine". If the shocks test the same, you should be fairly much ok. Most good suspension experts will probably be able to tell just by driving.

The rear axle clicking Technical Service Bulletins, are best found on either:

http://www.my350z.com or

http://www.350z-tech.com