Difference in EBC Brake Discs ...

narcotix

Hey,

I've just spend around half n hour going through the brake thread looking for information on EBS Brake discs ... and although I've learnt some good stuff about them in general I haven't found the answer to my question ...

I wanted to know what the main difference is between the EBC Ultimax and EBC Turbo Grooved discs ... They are both priced the same so it's quite difficult to work out which one are better .. are one set more suitable for a certain application etc?

I was thinking of going for the EBC RedStuff pads all round and since I don't do any track days just wanted to know which ones would be better for "fast road use" ...

The Ultimax do look nicer imo ...

Not sure on the main difference buddy, but i bought the EBC turbo grooved discs, ferodo DS pads, braided lines and Dot 5.1 brake fluid all off CS (apart from the brake fluid that was from opie oils) and can say for me its a great set up probally not up to track use but great for fast road use, great feel and stopping power def reccomend :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice Shire ...

I've just been speaking to CS about the differences between the various discs and pads etc ...

As I won't be using them for track use I'm basically just looking for an upgrade to the OEM setup without going too far ...

I'm thinking I'll probably end up going for the EBC Ultimax Discs and YellowStuff pads all round ...

:thumbs:

ultimax from what i gather are quieter under breaking

That's basically what CS said also ...

I like the look of the Ultimax too over the Turbo Grooved ... and seeing as performance is more or less the same ... it's an easy choice ...

I think I'm going to have to get my tyres replaced before I get the brakes sorted as they are more urgent ...

ultimax from what i gather are quieter under breaking

That's basically what CS said also ...

I like the look of the Ultimax too over the Turbo Grooved ... and seeing as performance is more or less the same ... it's an easy choice ...

I think I'm going to have to get my tyres replaced before I get the brakes sorted as they are more urgent ...

think the turbo groove are marginally better at withstanding the heat and less likely to warp under track conditions.

think the turbo groove are marginally better at withstanding the heat and less likely to warp under track conditions.

Yup, TG are a bit better at withstanding heat, Ultimax are quieter and look better. If you are going anywhere near a track I would say avoid the Ultimax, but if you are just a fast road user, the Ultimax would be my choice :thumbs:

Personally I prefer the look off the turbo groove and noise wise I dont hear a thing, maybe a slight whistle if the window's down and music's off. In my opinion sounds pretty good though ;-)

Only think I did'nt like was the bell on them (if thats the right word) as noticed on a few cars after a while they tended to rust! So had all mine sprayed in a very dark near black anthracite colour! B) its the attention to detail and all that ;-)

Thanks for the advice Shire ...

I've just been speaking to CS about the differences between the various discs and pads etc ...

As I won't be using them for track use I'm basically just looking for an upgrade to the OEM setup without going too far ...

I'm thinking I'll probably end up going for the EBC Ultimax Discs and YellowStuff pads all round ...

Do not use Yellowstuff with any disc that has grooves and/or crossdrilling.

According to EBC themselves, the Yellowstuff is meant to be used with solid discs.

Give them a ring if you don't believe me.

Do not use Yellowstuff with any disc that has grooves and/or crossdrilling.

According to EBC themselves, the Yellowstuff is meant to be used with solid discs.

Give them a ring if you don't believe me.

didn't know that, thanks for the heads up,

i'd go with the ferodo DS2500's then

• 1 month later...

Well since I got my tyres sorted last week it's now time to get my brakes done .. especially since I've developed a slight squeal from the drivers-side front ...

I'm still not 100% sure on what to go for ... I was intent on getting the Ultimax with the Yellowstuff pads all round but after reading the above post about using them with drilled/slotted discs I'm not sure ...

Is that definitely the case?

I might just end up going down the OEM disc and Yellowsetuff route in that case as I don't really hammer my Zed and the OEM setup hasn't caused me any issues ... it would still be an upgrade ..

i was informed recently that EBC discs like the ultimax and turbo groove are just re machined OEM discs. they take a standard disc and machine the face to put the dimples and grooves in. then they are re coated to seal them.

don't know if this is the same with all manufacturers.

personally if i was going down the EBC route, i'd go for the ultimax and the ferodo DS2500 pads.

Dixcel Z Pads on OEM discs? or even Dixcel plain discs or grooved. Carbon treated if your feeling flush?

use the setup on fast road evo, myself and other dixcel users im sure will vouch for their great performance :)

take a look in my section, you will find them