Oil Pressure - whats yours in the cold???

adammitch69

The Zed has a low oil level warning but no low pressure warning.

the low oil light should have been illuminated for some time

According to the manual that is wrong; there is a pressure gauge and dashboard pressure warning light, but no level warning (only way to check level is via dipstick).

Low pressure on the gauge may indicate low level (as in this case) but not always correlated.

Don't some of the 06+ rev-up engines have a history of excessive oil consumption? This may be another example of that....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the manual that is wrong; there is a pressure gauge and dashboard pressure warning light, but no level warning (only way to check level is via dipstick).

Low pressure on the gauge may indicate low level (as in this case) but not always correlated.

Don't some of the 06+ rev-up engines have a history of excessive oil consumption? This may be another example of that....

Interesting, so we really could almost run out of oil as long as there is enough to keep up reasonable pressure? :headhurt:

UPDATE - called at halfords at lunch and topped up with 3 litres of their own brand 5w-40 synthetic.

looks like I'm using 4 litres of oil every 10k miles! seems a tad high.

the low oil light should have been illuminated for some time, so you need to check that.

there isn't a low oil pressure light. When the oil pressure light comes on it means there is no pressure, your pumping air.

Interesting, so we really could almost run out of oil as long as there is enough to keep up reasonable pressure? :headhurt:

Correct, that's why it's essential people check their levels via the dipstick regularly (should be every week or before every long journey).

I've got a revup, and i think I've put about a litre in over the course of a few thousand miles. I didn't think that was excessive though..

Not all rev-ups suffer the problem; it's only a few cars apparently (something to do with slight ovality in the cylinder bores during a batch of engine block manufacture if I remember)

UPDATE - called at halfords at lunch and topped up with 3 litres of their own brand 5w-40 synthetic.

looks like I'm using 4 litres of oil every 10k miles! seems a tad high.

the low oil light should have been illuminated for some time, so you need to check that.

there isn't a low oil pressure light. When the oil pressure light comes on it means there is no pressure, your pumping air.

Correct! What led the OP to suspect a problem was the low pressure on the gauge. If the pressure warning light comes on you've basically got no pressure and you're pretty fubarred (unless you stop immediately and get lucky). There is no warning at all of a low level of oil in the engine....

Correct, that's why it's essential people check their levels via the dipstick regularly (should be every week or before every long journey).

I've got a revup, and i think I've put about a litre in over the course of a few thousand miles. I didn't think that was excessive though..

Not all rev-ups suffer the problem; it's only a few cars apparently (something to do with slight ovality in the cylinder bores during a batch of engine block manufacture if I remember)

What's reasonable though. 1litre in 2/3000 miles is potentially 4 litres in 10k. Which people were baulking at earlier on in the thread! Is it something I should be worried about!? :blink:

if you got a revup engine and it's drinking oil you need to check the TSB for the engine, I'll see if I can find it on the net. Nissan's way of dealing with it was to replace the whole engine... :snack:

found it:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-and- ... ssion.html

Snip:

Ok, now in layman terms:

Oil level is >1/3 qt (8mm) low, car has 2k mi on current oil change.

Have dealer confirm the reading and document on your file, dealer tops off oil and tells you to come back in 1k mi.

1001 miles later you check it and its 8 mm 1/3 qt low or >, take it to dealer to confirm reading and your engine will be replaced. It’s that simple.

So go and check it make sure it's at the H mark, come back after 1001 miles and if it's gone down 8mm on the stick you might be due an engine change... if still under warranty and nothing modified...

Oh wow!

I'm kinda hoping it is drinking oil!

You're a sexy beast Andlid!

Oh, but of course, it's not under warranty, being an 06!

:dry:

it's different with TSB... check with a Nissan garage, got a gearbox/clutch swapped out on a Mazda MX5 03 ,2006 so thats 3 year after warranty runs out.. think it's different if you got factory problem... worth a call ;)

Quote: Nissan releases TSB NTB07-088c: 2005- 2006 350Z: Engine Oil Level Is Low

Not sure if I should be running at this stage... (or better yet driving!)

Oh wow!

it's different with TSB... check with a Nissan garage, got a gearbox/clutch swapped out on a Mazda MX5 03 ,2006 so thats 3 year after warranty runs out.. think it's different if you got factory problem... worth a call ;)

Ahh, I read the last page on that link you sent me. At least in the US, drivetrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles. My car's due a service about 2k miles so I think I'm going to do this!

You sexy bea...bitch!

Oh wow!

Ahh, I read the last page on that link you sent me. At least in the US, drivetrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles. My car's due a service about 2k miles so I think I'm going to do this!

You sexy bea...bitch!

:cold: I'm outta here!

So the dodgy excess oil consumption only applies to the RevUp version?

I was under the impression that the VQ35DE engine held some best engine awards, but after reading this and also the fact that a relatively modern engine design doesn't have a low oil warning light, especially when they are designed for extended servicing periods is worrying to say the least.

I certainly wouldn't expect any engine of this type to have a higher oil consumption than an older design! :thumbdown:

Yes only a handful of the RevUps suffered excess oil consumption (officially). Until my last oil change service (80k odd miles) I havent had to top up anything more than a splash of oil between services, oil consumption has been very low :thumbs:

So the dodgy excess oil consumption only applies to the RevUp version?

I was under the impression that the VQ35DE engine held some best engine awards, but after reading this and also the fact that a relatively modern engine design doesn't have a low oil warning light, especially when they are designed for extended servicing periods is worrying to say the least.

I certainly wouldn't expect any engine of this type to have a higher oil consumption than an older design! :thumbdown:

*some* Rev up engines are known to use oil. Most don't though. They same with any story like this, the boy down the pub knows someone whos best mate had a 350z revup and it used a litre of oil every 20 miles...... much like RX8s.

The Zed does have a low oil light however when it comes on it is because the pump is dry. It's bad news so should be used as a 'stop immediately' light rather than a 'I'll check my oil in a few hundred miles' light.

... my last oil change service (80k odd miles) I havent had to top up anything more than a splash of oil between services, oil consumption has been very low :thumbs:

Phew ! thought I was alone in not having to top up every 'x' km. Apart from the services (currently at 40k km) I've not topped up although I check regularly (every 3 weeks or so).

[

The Zed does have a low oil light however when it comes on it is because the pump is dry. It's bad news so should be used as a 'stop immediately' light rather than a 'I'll check my oil in a few hundred miles' light.

the zed has a oil pressure light and NOT a low oil light. This is where the confusion happens

[

the zed has a oil pressure light and NOT a low oil light. This is where the confusion happens

I guess either way it means you have feck all oil, so STOP THE ENGINE NOW! :scare:

I think people need to be aware that the light means

LOW OIL PRESSURE, AND NOT LOW LEVEL.

and that if it does come on you are/or garage is guilty of not checking your oil level,

and be aware that there is a strong chance you have fooked your engine :doh:

If it was low oil level you would know to put some oil in VERY SOON! as opposed to the former,

which means PHONE BANK IMMEDIATELY OR PRY CREDIT CARD FROM WALLET, closely followed by a very stiff drink ;)

and that if it does come on you are/or garage is guilty of not checking your oil level,

no your wrong again, it means NO OIL PRESSURE

no your wrong again, it means NO OIL PRESSURE

OK pedant! but it amounts to the same thing, and in fact the light will come on at low pressure! try it! :p