Quote for refurbishing an alloy wheel!

phoenix

Hi, What do you think to this quote for a kerbed alloy of mine and is there normally a problem with matching the colour?

Quote:

"I’ve put together a new quote and emailed it to you separately.

Basically the discounted price will be £71 + VAT for the complete refurbishment of the wheel plus the stripping and refitting of the tyre with rebalance and new valve.

As we have not done a Rays forget wheel before, we would need to see it to make sure we can match the colour.

Please let me know if you have any questions."

Many thanks

Mark

Where are you based? If you are down South (London/Reading area) that seems like a standard kind of price, but maybe a bit hight, I think you could get it down to about £65 inc VAT if haggle, but that seems a standard price to me - not their discounted price ;)

Where are you based? If you are down South (London/Reading area) that seems like a standard kind of price, but maybe a bit hight, I think you could get it down to about £65 inc VAT if haggle, but that seems a standard price to me - not their discounted price ;)

Nottingham/Leicestershire area.

Nottingham/Leicestershire area.

Well I'm sure the locals can confirm, but that seems a little steep to me, London is usually more expensive because of the higher labour rates.

Depends what you mean by refurb. There is the repair where the ding is filled and painted and there is the refurb which may involve shot blasting back to base metal, possibly lathe work, etc etc.

The former should cost around £15 per weel for a good repair. Had two of my daughter's wheels done last year and cost £25 for 2 wheels. Repair still looking good :thumbs:

IMG tags were a bit mangled, fixed them for you :thumbs:

Thanks, is it something i need to do my end for future photo's?

Nope, there was one tag inside the other, guess you copy n pasted it a little bit wrong as Photobucket puts it in the right format.

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on what kind of repair you are getting also!

I firmly believe that on most occasions you get what you pay for!

Would be a bit sceptical of someone not sure if they can match the paint colour, a decent painter would not worry about this and be able to tint the colour if needed.

An alloy repair may be a localised repair (just that section repaired and blended into the rest of the wheel) Normally the cheapest type and often done with tyre on. It may look ok after the repair but the most likely to show up after a period of time nothing wrong with it if that's the type of repair you are after.

A full refurb can then vary on the severity of what is done and what is needed also. Chemically cleaned, bead blasted, corrosion can be removed by sanding or turning by machine blah blah blah.....

Thats before you even get to painting which is going to result in how well it is finished. Remeber your wheels probably take the most punishment of all your car dirt, grime, brake dust, then the chemicals used when cleaning are much stronger than on your paintwork, let alone what the hand car wash types use on them :scare:

Just work out what your after, a simple clean up to look good for now ??? or take it as far as you want all the way up to the extreme. Just decide what you want and do your research. Then you will know what you should be paying

Bob down the road does wheels for £30 but Fred wanted £70 doesn't really tell you much does it, your probably getting a completely different repair and both charging accordingly.

Of course there are gonna be some that charge alot for not alot but then that why you do your reasearch right :thumbs: