Dynamat

V88 REG

right ok.. i ordered a trunk kit which is 5 sheets 18" x 36" each so il see how i get on. i can always do the boot floor first then gradually make my way around the sub boxes etc. Cant believe how big that area is, what a waste!!

the foam must be sticky on one side i take it??

right ok.. i ordered a trunk kit which is 5 sheets 18" x 36" each so il see how i get on. i can always do the boot floor first then gradually make my way around the sub boxes etc. Cant believe how big that area is, what a waste!!

you guys got me thingking baout doing this too as the stones pinging noises can be quite annoying, also shows why the Z has such a small boot ! its all wasted space for the bose and that thing they call a glove box !

Any closed or open cell foam can be used to reduce the noise. I got a cheap kitmat/sleeping mat (for camping) off ebay and spray glued it down. Dont be sold on the specific foams that Dynamat or Second Skin sell, I'm not conviced they do anything special, any reasonably dense foam will absob noise. Just play around and experiment :)

Ok after taking out nearly all the interior and fitting 2 skins worth of sound proof matting or damplifier. i went out for a little drive to hear any differences. there is a little but i may have to get up to higher speeds to properly find out.

i was going to take the wheels off and fill the metal part of the arches with more of it hoping this will do the trick

other than that there is clear reflectors going on, new custom head lights, new cyrstal rear lights and a new exhaust. So my drive will look like a nissan parts store over the next few weekends. :teeth:

Hmmm, keep us updated on the cabin noise, im looking into this to take the edge off the k1 and road noise.

R

+1

No k1 for me but would love to get rid of some of the road noise. :thumbs:

Does all the time and money make any difference?

Interesting to hear that 2 layers of deadening hasnt made much difference. It was very obvious when I did mine that the exhuast was a lot quieter and so was the road noise. It did highlight that the door area needed doing too though. I guess it depends which noises you are sensative to compared to the ones it removes, and also which tyres you are using, as if its still Stones they make a right racket.

Well yeh it will add weight but i dont think it anything to go by. Unless yours is Brawn gp car in disguise. :wacko:

Well i went out again and it has go more quiet in there so maybe i was too critical i can hear the tyres alot so it must be cos there the original tyres that come from nissan, just changed to the same over the years,

ive got more Damplifier coming so when the cars wheels are off agin il put some in the arches but i would say that this has bin worth while.

The real test is the Motorway i think

The problem you now face is that you will be forever chasing the never ending noise. You may well cut the noise in half, but the noise that remains will bug you forever! I had the same problem when trying to silence PCs a few years ago. I tried silent fans, case sound deadening, and watercooling. I got it to a point where I had it all watercooled and it needed no fans, but I could still hear the pump vibrating and electonic noise. It never ends :bang:

Sound deadening will make a difference, but make sure you are selective with where you apply it. Tapping the pannels will tell you which ones are thin and reverberating sound. Dont deaden everywhere, it can just add un-needed weight.

These days I just turn the music up :lol:

oh yeh i understand what your saying mate but i may as well finish what ive got left (another 20 sheets :wacko: ) in the arches were the noise is coming from, but it has made a difference.

but was a piece of wee getting the trim apart and that tool works wonders (thanking)

Yeah thats why mine ended up with doubled up bits, just over the wheelwells mainly as they are the big culprit. There are also some bits forward of the seat in the footwells that are quite thin and easily accessible if you are looking for new areas to use up what you have left :thumbs:

Good to hear its made a difference :)

• 1 month later...
You will be amazed at the space behind the sub and govebox, its a cavern in there - its where IMO most of the noise comes from. Start from the seats and remove the trim working backwards. You can do the area behind the sub simply by removing it and the plate it sits on, but on the other side you need to remove all the trim.

This is what awaits you in the sub/cubby area

IMG_6205_thumb.jpg

Bloody hell you could get another set of seats in there!

No wonder it so noisy.............