Dynamat

V88 REG

I dunno, i only know this brand. Ive heard of one called Brown Bread but every audio shop sells Dynamat so went with that. I bought so much i wonder if i could double up on the boot floor.

When driving u turn ur head to the side and all you hear is the rear tyres, which annoys the crapola out of me so hopefully it will cure it :dry:

What is the procedure for applying this in the boot then? Remove spare wheel etc and cover the whole of that reccess? Is there any trim removal etc required to do the boot? Easy 1hr job? Im quite tempted to do this but dont want to **** anything up whilst attempting it!

I just spoke to surrey Car Radio who did my audio. They said it requires heat to it to make the material stick to the metal, good contact. But as far as i know it goes on the metal work of the area you rapplying it to so yo would have to make sure you clean the surface so theres no bumps in it. Also use a small roller which is included with some packs of dynmat> :)

Trim removal tool is a very good idea, Zed clips are easily broken. In mine I removed all the rear trim and covered everything is Second Skin. Dynamat is very good, but unless you are running comps, its not worth the extra over Second Skin tbh. Sound deadening it does make a massive difference to interior noise, well worth the effort. If doing just to boot, I would allow 2-3hrs to do it all properly and not rushing. Allow a full day to do under the seats, rear cubby and boot, thats what I did :thumbs:

good tip. just hope the wknds a dry 1.

il try to get the trim off but will do the boot floor first.

So boot floor does not require any trim removal?

If you want to do all of it yes. You need to remove the plastic around the side, then the polystyrene inserts to do it properly. Also doing the wheel wells inside the rear cubby area (where the sub and glovebox are) reduces road noise greatly ;)

well yeh but its simple thing like the carpet, plastic lining, spare wheels n stuff. i think once out i think its a reasonable size area to cover.

ooo dunno bout removing the other stuff il have to take my time with that part and not lose anything

TBH, just removing the spare wheel and doing that area without removing the polystyrene inserts, is pretty pointless. The most noise comes from the wheel wells and to do them you need to remove everything in the boot and also dive in behind the seats. Trust me, the effort is well rewarded and really not that much hassle :teeth:

You will be amazed at the space behind the sub and govebox, its a cavern in there - its where IMO most of the noise comes from. Start from the seats and remove the trim working backwards. You can do the area behind the sub simply by removing it and the plate it sits on, but on the other side you need to remove all the trim.

This is what awaits you in the sub/cubby area

IMG_6205_thumb.jpg

You will be amazed at the space behind the sub and govebox, its a cavern in there - its where IMO most of the noise comes from. Start from the seats and remove the trim working backwards. You can do the area behind the sub simply by removing it and the plate it sits on, but on the other side you need to remove all the trim.

This is what awaits you in the sub/cubby area

IMG_6205_thumb.jpg

:scare::scare::scare:

Yup, its like a Zed concert hall in there, now you see where all the noise comes from :lol: I originally did the boot, and tbh it didnt make a lot of difference so I ripped apart the rear bit you see there. Doing the wheel wells in there, which you cant see in the pic, makes the biggest difference. Best thing to do is go around tapping and find the flimsy panels and do them first. I added more than is in the pic, but only because I had the matt left over. You could do it with quite a bit less and still get good results. Also make sure you have some kind of foam to put over the top to stop airbourne noise as it can reverberate around a bit in there.

I beleive doing the doors can make quite a difference too, but havent got round to that on mine.

ok, this is very helpful.. was it hard getting the trim apart and putting back together.

How much in total do you think you used to do everything behind the seats? :D

Its pretty easy, just go gentle and use a trim removal tool (about a fiver off ebay) as some of the clips are quite far from the edge of the trim and the trim flexes quite a scarily amount! In terms of how much, I got a bulk pack of Second Skin which was 40 sq-ft ( http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/second- ... k-kit.html? ). That will be pretty expensive if using Dynamat, so suggest if you want to stick with that you just get in behind the sub (which is dead easy compared to removing all the trim) and see which bits you want to do before you start pulling it all apart :)