My zorst heat shield fell off today

ATTAK Z

Yea I heard it scraping along the road at the back of the Zed just as I exited the motorway this morning :angry:

Upon inspection I found it was held on by one bolt (out of four I think) so I popped into work and logged on

I then decided that I needed to make a site visit to one of my projects which just happens to be close to my local garage ;)

The nice man there put it straight up on the ramp for investigation. ( I spent so much money there last year that he now treats me like royalty, which is nice )

At first I thought the guys at Sheffield may have not put something back on correctly when they replaced the exhaust a couple of months ago, but it turns out that the ally shield had corroded and allowed the bolts to pull through

Mark, the owner of the garage, told me that the bolts will be a bugger to get out and recommended that I run without a heat shield

So my question is

"Is the heat shield above the exhaust back box really needed or can I just run my baby without one"

i vote, keep the heat shield on, its there for a very good reason. the person who designed it to go there will be far more qualified than the mechanic :thumbs: get a new one from lee or alex will cost pennies i imagine, have a go at the bolts and change it :)

i vote, keep the heat shield on, its there for a very good reason. the person who designed it to go there will be far more qualified than the mechanic :thumbs: get a new one from lee or alex will cost pennies i imagine, have a go at the bolts and change it :)

agree if the person designed it to be there for a reason but i would not worry about mate.

it will be their for a purpose, most likely to reduce heat from the exhaust getting to something like wiring, or overheating the cabin area.

grind off the heads of the old bolts, Drill out and re tap them then you can fit new bolts with a new heat shield.

it will be their for a purpose, most likely to reduce heat from the exhaust getting to something like wiring, or overheating the cabin area.

grind off the heads of the old bolts, Drill out and re tap them then you can fit new bolts with a new heat shield.

Are you sure it's as easy as that ? if so I'll get it done but I'd still like to know if it's the first time this problem has come up ... I mean it could have come off on the motorway .. I wasn't hangin' about this morning cos I was a bit late ......that could have been disastrous for some one following at that speed ....... if it's a generic problem then it should be noted don't you think?

not heard of it before on the zed, and to be fair i didn't know there was one there.

i have seen heatshields on other cars go but they were around the manifolds.

i don't know what the operating space is like in there, but that would be the engineering solution.

i'd try lots of coats of plus gas first over a 24 hour period and don't use a bi-hex socket. but my guess is the heads will probably sheer off on at least 2 of them if not all of them.

if that happens revert to plan A

not heard of it before on the zed, and to be fair i didn't know there was one there.

i have seen heatshields on other cars go but they were around the manifolds.

i don't know what the operating space is like in there, but that would be the engineering solution.

i'd try lots of coats of plus gas first over a 24 hour period and don't use a bi-hex socket. but my guess is the heads will probably sheer off on at least 2 of them if not all of them.

if that happens revert to plan A

I won't be doing it Rich so that's why I asked the question in case I get a big bill. I'd like to hear from someone who's had to do this on their Z before I put it into the garage (who I do trust by the way)

if your not far from Leicestershire, then go see CS. he'll give you an honest diagnosis, and an idea of cost before starting work. and if it looks like it will be expensive he'll ring to discuss it with you first before discussing.

but to be honest, even if you had to drill out and retap the holes thats, not a major job. 5 minutes a hole maybe.