Roadster roof problems - won't fully go down!

quicksilver

I know this threads been posted before but it never really reached a conclusion from what I've read.

It's a common problem that after not using the roof for long periods of time, it wont fully retract.

I GREASED the large cogs and anything else that looked like it needed doing and eventually after about 10 goes up and down in order to work in the grease, the roof finally went down fully.

That was 3 days ago and now its sticking again :bang:

Does anyone know what needs greasing specifically and what grease to use? And am I going about correcting this problem the right way or should I be making a trip to nissan?

Any help would be appreciated as you'd be helping all roadster owners not just me, as I see this being an ongoing issue for all roadster owners.

Its not just greasing but check if anything looks bent or out of shape - its hard to describe this without pictures but compare 1 side with the other. In my other posts on this subject check the velcro covered strip at the back I found it was slightly out of place and catching the rest of the material and stopping the close process - once slightly moved out of the way it was fine (its on the edge of the window area.

You need to fold and unfold it a few times - also leave it open for a while if you can?

The motors are not very strong and possibly the cables can stretch over time a little?

Hope this helps ?

:)

It's been very cold and they advise you not to use the ragtop in such conditions. Wait for it to warm up a bit weather wise and see if the problem continues. Also check the battery is fully charged. If both of these solutions fail....................I wish you the best of luck :headhurt:

Been to nissan today but didn't fancy paying the £90 ph labour charges for them to look at it, so I rapidly retreated.

Although the tech guy did say that the roof does tend to stiffen up over winter due to the cold weather, in turn putting extra stress on the motors at the final stages of closure. He said to either leave it till the weather warmed or soak the roof to unstiffen it and then opening it and leave it open over night/24hours which should help ease it up.

I'll give it a bash and post back.

Can anyone recommend a Nissan dealer or other independant that has fixed their roof problems at a good price (without ripping you off). I want to get mine sorted but am worried that I'm gonna be charged for hours of labour just for them to diagnose the problem. I have an aftermarket warranty that should cover the repairs up to a £1000 so that's at least something.

I've said this so many times before please don't go to a Nissan stealer for roof problems they have no idea when it comes to trim or roof parts :shrug:

You need to go to a trimmers they will suss out the problem then if you need say motors etc go to the stealers to order them but get the trimmers to fit! :thumbs:

damn it!!! Lucy keeps logging on my iPhone !!!!

(Stanski)

I have had a roadster now for a full year and as i have said before in posts like this at this time of year 9 times out of 10 its due to the cold weather.

The fabric stiffens up and wont fold properly and the motors struggle to fold it. I believe the handbook recommends that the roof isnt folded in air temps less than +5 to avoid these issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine wouldnt fully stow today so dont worry. :)

It's good know there's hope :sweat:

You could try to warm up the material with a hairdrier on the outside (cue hairdresser jokes!) or rom the inside, run the engine turn the heat and fan to max with all vents open - windows closed. leave to run until when you touch the fabric on the outside it does'nt feel so cold anymore but really just wait for a sunny dry day - trust me its not as bad as it seems - it will work eventually just have some patience in it :thumbs:

My roofhas been very on and off recently. Put this down to weather like people have been saying. I tried it the other day as it was a fairly warm day, after a couple of tries went fully down. Left I down for a good couple of hours and then it web up and down first time no problems. If you do manage to get it down leave got a while. Hopefully those helps or at least reassures you most of us ragtop owners have the same issues!! :thumbs: