Respray Advice

mwalker56

Hi all, a bit of topic but i figured someone might be able to offer some advice.

I'm helping my mate out with doing up his VW camper. The bodywork isnt in great shape and there's a fair amount of filler on all the panels. We've got the windows, seals, bumpers, doors, lights and engine out and are repairing some of the dodgy bodywork and rusted panels. We will be looking to respray the whole van when the temperature increases a bit and didnt know if anyone had any tips. Neither of us have sprayed a car before and one of his mates has advised spraying over the top of the existing paint. We've sanded the original paint back to give a scuffed surface to apply the new paint, but i'm not totally convinced if thats the best way to do it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

as long as the body work is well prepared, that means really well rubbed down, and then degreased a some good layers gently built up of a suitable primer should make for an easy job.

are you doing it with rattle cans or with proper spray equipment.

either way these place is the best place for quality paint www.paints4u.com

Speaking from experience all Vw campers/panel vans rust badly if your into the Vw scene you will know this so please please please send 90% of your time ensuring there is no rust and ensure you sand the panels down well either with an electric sander. Check the panel gaps and align the panels carefully or it will look like dogs dinner!! :lol:

If it's a split the bottom 12 inches will need extra rust treatment, if it's a bay the whole feckin thing will need good rust treatment if it's a wedge then the panel gaps are your problem, too close together and rust breeds in there if it's a brick t4 they are pretty bullet proof but the wheel arches can go. To treat the rust use dinitrol or metal ready rust remover ( google these) but for areas you can't get to remove the rust you can only cover or convert it. I can highly recomend bonda rust + zinc I swear by it. Now you have treated the rust cover in etch primer then high build filler primer. Next get your sanding perfect sand in different directions and use a plank of wood with wet and dry sandpaper on the doors or you will end up with a rubbish finish! Next get some top coat - contrary to popular belief you can by cellulose paint still - I use autopaints in merseyside they get you a perfect match. Do not use 2 pack as it's poisonous to you. It's good that you have removed windows etc your doing it the proper way :thumbs:

right there are companies that will put your paint in spray cans and it can be done I did my first beetle like that but better to go to Aldi and get their compressor kit complete with guns. It's cost effective and really well made £68. Now spray technique - test with some waste paint on a scrap panel so you get used to mixing the thinners ( non bloom cellulose thinners) follow the mixing instructions with the paint. Build up the layers sanding with finer wet and dry paper and water each time. The top coat is more thin ers than paint to give it that extra shine. Spray the edges of a panel first then work your way up and down in stripes overlapping slightly be fluid with your wrist and trigger finger it's hard to explain on here but trialand error and practice is the key. Let everything dry properly about 2 weeks before polishing out any imperfections with polishing compound like farcela G4 then some Mer to give that extra shine. Be under no illusion a camper is a big vehicle but take your time 1 panel at a time use the natural break points on thebody to mask off starting with the roof first. Sorry I've gone on a bit if you need any info of product info please pm me happy to help. :D

Thanks for the tips, this forum never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge available and how generous and forthcoming people are with it!

The van is a Bay Window type and you're not wrong; there is a bucket load of rust. We're rebuilding most of the engine bay to start with, sills are in a pretty poor state as are the wheel arches. We're planning on using the proper compressor equipment, not rattle cans. We're also redoing all of the interior. My mates girlfriend is re-upholstering the lot and we're rebuilding the cabinets and furniture, it's an interesting project!

Haven't got any good pics yet, but will take some as we progress with the project. Here's a couple from today:

1263161310_vw3.jpg

1263161205_vw2.jpg

Nice one - dont forget to put Waxoyl or similar in the sills but not near any heat exchangers or heater piping unless you like the smell of it! :lol:

Keep us posted to progress and dont forget to spray or paint the underside of any new panels you weld in - Type 2's rot from the inside remember! ;)

Ideally check the filler thats already there - it could be ok but if your going to this mucj trouble its worth doing everytyhing from scratch, although if the roof is ok - then its fine to sand etch primer and spray over the existing paint :snack:

If I had only kept them today! :doh:

GA8XMHtIpt.jpg