'Dead-switch'

SunGodRA

I don't really want to spend any money or too much time/effort on this, but I would quite like a deadswitch (hidden isolator switch, like an immobiliser but an added layer of protection in case keys are stolen etc)

Any ideas on what would be relatively easy to install but at the same time hard to detect??

David

an option would be to put a switch in line with one of the essential fuses for starting the car.

you could use something like this, a blown fuse with wires soldered to the back

dsc05879.jpg

with this to keep a fuse in line

30ampwaterproof-150x150.jpg

and any old switch like this:

Car_Toggle_Switch.jpg

simples :thumbs:

just a case of breaking the connection on any wire that is required to start the car.

personally i'd get a mechanic to do it.

i watched 5 trained mechanics in the "young mechanic of the year" competition try and do this and only 2 managed to do it and have it working, and put it in an accessible place.

you don't want to have to pop the hood everytime you want to drive off, it will get very tedious. nor do you want to be clambering in the boot.

maybe down by the seat or up under the steering wheel.

just a case of breaking the connection on any wire that is required to start the car.

personally i'd get a mechanic to do it.

i watched 5 trained mechanics in the "young mechanic of the year" competition try and do this and only 2 managed to do it and have it working, and put it in an accessible place.

you don't want to have to pop the hood everytime you want to drive off, it will get very tedious. nor do you want to be clambering in the boot.

maybe down by the seat or up under the steering wheel.

Indeed - the switch would ideally be hidden within reach of the driver position - thats isnt the problem - I need to know what circuit to cut the switch into and how this can easily be done etc (and not readily be bypassed by the average car thief chavvy scum! :angry: )

you average car theif scum will probably get stumped by the clutch pedal down for ignition setup in the zed

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ooooh - now there's a thought! - the clutch down thing must be an electronic sensor - if a switch could be cut into that circuit it would be good - therefore switch on AND clutch down required! - anyone know where to access this?? ;)

i'd have another look at huskies post he has given you the eaisiest way to do this.

look in fuse box pick a fuse thats linked with ignition (they are labelled in the lid) remove fuse and solder in 2 bits of wire (you choose the length. between these to bits of wire you added. fit a fuse slot or switch, and voila; roberts your mothers brother ;)

husky's idea. ;)

i'd have another look at huskies post he has given you the eaisiest way to do this.

look in fuse box pick a fuse thats linked with ignition (they are labelled in the lid) remove fuse and solder in 2 bits of wire (you choose the length. between these to bits of wire you added. fit a fuse slot or switch, and voila; roberts your mothers brother ;)

husky's idea. ;)

I didnt grasp what the dog was saying until I read it back a few minutes ago - it's quite ingenious! - thanks Huskey! B)

The only downside is that anyone reading this post will know they only have to replace a fuse to get around :lol::lol:

husky's idea. ;)

I didnt grasp what the dog was saying until I read it back a few minutes ago - it's quite ingenious! - thanks Huskey! B)

The only downside is that anyone reading this post will know they only have to replace a fuse to get around :lol::lol:

sorry, its late and i only quickly wrote it.

richs description is right, very simple and cheap. and as you can have any switch you want you could even find one with a key?

Sounds like a good plan. Easiest place to put it would be in the cubby by your elbow... You can run a wire to there within a few minutes. Or alternatively, take the a pillar cover off and see if you can run a wire to the sunglasses holder and put the switch in there?

Sounds like a good plan. Easiest place to put it would be in the cubby by your elbow... You can run a wire to there within a few minutes. Or alternatively, take the a pillar cover off and see if you can run a wire to the sunglasses holder and put the switch in there?

well there goes my secret places lol :lol::lol::lol:

I heard about one you can get installed that you have to put a code into the car to get it working properly. If you don't, the car will drive for a short time but will slowly lose power. Means the car jackers will drive away a little bit - to stop them punching you, but the car won't get far. Probably not insurance friendly tho. . .

Alternativly you could get a steering lock / baseball bat. Then you're car won't get stolen :boxing:

look in fuse box pick a fuse thats linked with ignition (they are labelled in the lid)

Unless you've got a JDM and then you've got no idea what they are for :lol::lol:

If you've got a spare switch position next to the heated seats you could use that with a "standard" switch with an icon on for heated screen or something. If you have the 02-06 model, just be careful not to hit the "secret" switch with your elbow when changing gear, Zeds don't handle well if the engine is suddenly killed :scare: Might be better to put it by the ESP button (where the roof switch position is in a roadster)

definatly go for a switch rather than pulling fuses, cud even put it in the cubby hole behind the seat

do you live in a really rought area or are you just parnoid about having a nice car? lol i live in a really good area and still wouldnt leave it anywhere lol,

and has anyone else actually done anything like this to their cars? and i would definatly get an alarm installer to do the mod incase someting cocks up...

My favourite idea, if you are at all handy with a soldering iron, on AutoSpeed. Completely secret and can't be triggered by accident or trial and error.

Or this one, if you like somthing more fancy. Jaycar kits are available over here at reasonable prices.

Either of these could be used with Husky's "blown fuse switch" to avoid having to break in to the car wiring. Then, if it fails or you want to remove it, you only have to replace the wired fuse with a normal one.