Metallic or ceramic high flow cats - flow rates

matth76

Hi

I've done a lot of searching for an answer but cannot find any info. I'm sure it's a simple answer. Do metal cats (like Berk) have better flow rates than ceramic cats (like Kinetix) or is there very little difference between them aside from the noise? Does anyone have dyno proof or experience of either?

Does anyone have Kinetix high flow cats on their 350z? I'm pretty tempted because they seem to be doing a 33% discount at the moment offering them for $332 on their website. I contacted them to find out an approx shipping cost and they said $80 so all in looking to be around $412 which is around £258 (plus 17.5% vat for importing into UK ~£45 - not sure if they tax the total amount inc shipping or not but have done 17.5% of the lot to be safe) so grand total ~£303 (a saving of around £150). Their site says the discount ends 31st Dec just in case anyone else was interested. I wasn't going to get hfc because at close to £500 seemed pretty hefty but the discount they are offering which I noticed last night has tempted me.

Anyway before I go ahead and order some I was wondering if anyone here already had any and what the quality was like? I know they are not quite as good as the Berk Technology ones but then they are normally a bit cheaper than berk but flow rate should be exactly the same. Does anyone have any info?

Also is anyone running high flow cats with the Japspeed K2 exhaust? My plan is to get the K2 exhaust as it seems like a real bargain at £350 but wondered what the sound would be like with the high flow cats too - I'm assuming it will be similar to a Nismo with hfc, because without hfc the K2 sounds very similar to a Nismo maybe a bit deeper.

Thanks for any info.

i'm runnig the kinetix high flow cats and think they are good. not had nay problems as such. my cars just thrown a CEL not had time to read it yet but fairly certain i need some anti foulers to correct this which isn't a problem. they were easy to fit. and run well with my invidia true dual exhaust.

there were some HFC's up for sale from GT4 zed and someone else. might be worth checking the sales section first.

i got mine with 600 miles on them for about £200

I refuse to buy Kinetix products.

4 months after ordering my HFC from them & they still had not arrived despite them assuring me twice that they had been sent. I eventually got my money back & had some custom ones made :)

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately the companies don't give too much specific info away in order to stop the competition copying or improving their products.

We've supplied both Kinetix and Berk cats in the past, and now only supply Berk - they are a much better quality item in terms of manufacture and material quality. Never had any issues with MOT's or them going wrong.

Best Regards,

Gaz