I've been bumped! Please help with bumper choices

sasha@lazytrips

Hi all,

Got smacked in the rear on the way home today and am wondering what my alternatives are with regard to repairs. The other party is 100% at fault and has admitted this. I am not going to be replacing the entire bodykit while I'm at it, although there's the never say never to the possibility of doing so in the future.

Can anyone tell me how much I would be expected to pay for fitting a rear bumper (including associated costs, eg. spraying, parts, etc)? I am based in Nottingham.

How much would an OEM bumper cost?

If I was to purchase an aftermarket bumper on its own, which ones would work well without replacing side skirts, etc? I don't want one which would sit too low. (eg. like the look of the Do-luck Aero Wivern, Buddy Club & Bomex on z-store) How much would I realistically be looking at?

Another problem is that at least one of the parking sensors is broken (car makes a continuous loud noise in reverse gear). I rather like having reverse parking sensors. Can you replace a sensor on its own or do you have to replace the whole system? How much would that be and would most bumpers be compatible with fitting rear parking sensors?

Basically, it looks like the rear bumper needs replacing and 1 or 2 parking sensors are broken. I may be able to replace with non OEM equivalents. What would you do in my place?

Thanks,

Sasha

P.S. The car is a black 04 350z with GT spec.

just get your insurers to deal with it. but if you can choose the garage to do the work might be worth speaking to CS and see if he can do it. that way they might give the option to not use OEM parts.

some bodyshops on insurance jobs won't do aftermarket parts and will only do like for like.

or are you doing this out side of the insurers?

Thanks for the few posts.

If I am to go through with the bumper replacement, I'd only realistically want to replace it with a new one as 1. it won't be coming out of my pocket and 2. it's not worth getting something that won't be as good as what I'll get if I go through the standard insurance processes.

Rear bumper depending on the make and how easy it is to fit and if it needs no additional work will be under £350. But there is loads of varience. You just need to find one someone else has used. Unfortunatly my recomendation is in Surrey so a bit far for you to travel.

Most wont give you a cost till they have seen the bumper your putting on.

Also, so you need the replacment, very expensive, polystyrene impact bits for under the bumpers? Is your zorst still lined up and not cracked anywhere?

And yes you can get replacement sensors from nissan, call you local nissan garage for a cost.

Why are you trying to do this outside the insurance? :scare::scare::scare:

I was hit up the rear earlier on this year. The other party was clearly at fault. I rang my insurance company who arranged everything, including coming to collect my car, issue me with an SLK as a hire car, then fix new bumper, paint matched (very important) and delivered back to me totally valeted. They were also around to deal with a few small problems post the bump.

Why bother???

Thanks guys. It looks like it'll end up costing a bomb anyhow, so I guess I'll have to sort it out through insurance. Just hoping I get a decent bodyshop. The local official Nissan garages "don't do bodywork work".

At least it's not all bad news then :lol:

Yep. I couldn't get through to my own insurer, but managed to speak to the other party's (More Than). They were excellent and helpful. Should get a phone call sometime soon regarding repairs. We'll see what happens with that. I got the feeling that they have some flexibility. The question is, if I can sourse non OEM stuff, how long would I have to wait for the parts to arrive? eg. Aero Wivern looks like a mint example and from the prices I got from Nissan direct, is not too different to a standard bumper.

Chilli: You have pm.

I have been given the green light by insurers to find a garage of my own to do the bodywork. If anyone on here works in one or can recommend one, I'm game. I am not entirely sure what is/isn't damaged. There is not too much to see on the outside, but the bumper is cracked in a number of places, is out of place and pushed to one side atm. It looks like it *could* be repairable, but to be frank, I'd prefer a new bumper in any case as I don't want to lose value through this incident.

So to cut it short, I'm open to offers for a replacement provided that it is roughly in line with what I'd be paying for stock. I've contacted Nissan and delivery dates for stock don't sound good.