Rota GTR powder coated/sprayed?

cookiemonster

Ive been looking at getting the wheels powder coated gun metal, but have been reading the problems people have had with damaged wheels etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had it done already? Or if anyone can recommend somewhere that can do it in the East Anglia area?

Any help always appreciated!

Powder coat every time. I had mine wet sprayed first and they were crap. Didnt stand up to anything. Been powder coated twice now and no problems what so ever. Been on track a few times with them. I hear they should make sure to keep it under 200C when baking them and it should be ok :)

Interesting that I have just seen this post.

I have been reading up a little on powdercoating alloy wheels, as a friend with some standard EVO wheels had them powdercoated, and had cracked spokes within 2 weeks.

Obviously if its done at the correct temperature it will be fine, but go to high with the temperature and you can have problems

No wheel manufacture or for that matter car manufacturer will warranty wheels if they have been powdercoated by an aftermarket powdercoater, and that includes Rota.

73509895.jpg

I personally DO NOT recommend you powder coat any wheels

:scare: Well those look like my wheels and my Zed is white so a little scary :lol:

Hmm not sure what to do now. :wacko:

Seriously, get it done somewhere by people that know what they are doing and you will be fine. I have seen loads of people get wheels powdercoated and all have been fine. These images pop up from time to time with no explaination of what has happened. Same as those that bash Rotas for being crap, its just not justified. If you look at those wheels and see how thin the spokes are compared to solid ones on most wheels. The only Zed wheels this has happened too consistently is the GT4 wheels as they have thin spokes.

Make sure they keep it under 200C when baking and they will be fine :thumbs:

Chris I speaks the truth. It's the excessive heat, it ages the alloy hugely and causes failures on wheels that would never normally fail. S2000 standard wheels have been failing as a result of powder coating, and they never normally fail.

Somewhere that knows what they're doing will probably be fine, but as a distributor because of the risks involved, we just cant suggest it being a cunning plan.

It's entirely possible to get a good finish in paint :)

As per PM, I could swap them for £200 including all postage and collecting costs...

If however yours are new and all perfect, and arrive back without being wounded by a courier, I might be able to give you a bit more money off to be fair, it's just to cover any damage / marks :)

Thats a flipping good deal! :thumbs:

As per PM, I could swap them for £200 including all postage and collecting costs...

If however yours are new and all perfect, and arrive back without being wounded by a courier, I might be able to give you a bit more money off to be fair, it's just to cover any damage / marks :)

That is excellent service, nice one Ben! :thumbs:

Do you guys offer collection of wheels then? I've been thinking of ways to get my Rays to you that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg but I'm not coming up with much at the moment. Was even thinking of a few days away in Devon with the missus! :lol:

We can indeed collect, looking at £35ish.

If anybody sending wheels our way can wrap them in a box so they cant move around, ideally with a bunch of card bent over the lips where they touch the sides of the box, then a good wrapping it tape or similar, that would be ideal.

They're usually fine, but sometimes they get knocked about and the finish suffers a bit :(

Ben

We can indeed collect, looking at £35ish.

If anybody sending wheels our way can wrap them in a box so they cant move around, ideally with a bunch of card bent over the lips where they touch the sides of the box, then a good wrapping it tape or similar, that would be ideal.

They're usually fine, but sometimes they get knocked about and the finish suffers a bit :(

Ben

Wow, that's about half what I've been getting quoted! :yahoo: I'll chat to you more about it via PM when the time comes. :thumbs:

• 5 weeks later...

Wel after speaking with Ben at Rare Rims for over a month i am now the happy owner of 19" Rota GTR in GUN METAL :yahoo:

Having previously ordered the silver and polished rims option i decided that powder coating would be the only way to get them in gun metal as it wasnt avilable OEM.

After discussing the options of powder coating, which i would have been fine with had the wheels been second hand, i decided the void in warranty was a little bit much.

Luckily Rare Rims got in touch with me even though the original purchase was made from another company and changed the wheels over for basically only the shipping costs!! :thumbs: They even trusted me enough to have both sets of wheels for a few days as the couriers wouldnt over lap and they wanted me to have the wheels ASAP.

Cant thank Rare Rims enough for this, as i cant think of many companies who would be willing to do this for next to nothing even if my original wheels were still brand new in their box.

Contact has been maintained over xmas holidays through out the process and cant praise their service highly enough.

Much appreicated

Dan

• 2 weeks later...