Steering issue

pathfinder123

Got a bit of a weird problem, which I hope someone can throw light on.

For about 1/2 mile or so from cold my 350z steering feels very light, almost like driving on a slippery road. After that I get the normal steering response with the right amount of feedback,and all is well. I am sure it's not a tyre heating issue, as I get the same symptoms whether I drive at 70 or 7 MPH. The fronts are Bridgestones, and have a reasonable tread left.

Could it be the PAS, or something associated with it ?

Cheers

S.

Yup, that'll do it. Difference in tyre compound front and rear (especially in these changeable conditions) will lead to the temps not being equal and give you dodgy handling. Change the fronts for Falkens ASAP before something nasty happens. :thumbs:

I have noticed a similar feeling as well (running Falkens on all four corners) - it always takes a 1/2 mile or so for me to feel confident about the grip from cold (and I've checked pressures/tread etc). Also feels like the road is slippery for that first couple of minutes. I've just got used to it and wait for some heat to get into the tyres. I assumed it was normal :blush:

I have noticed a similar feeling as well (running Falkens on all four corners) - it always takes a 1/2 mile or so for me to feel confident about the grip from cold (and I've checked pressures/tread etc). Also feels like the road is slippery for that first couple of minutes. I've just got used to it and wait for some heat to get into the tyres. I assumed it was normal :blush:

Cant say I get the same feeling with mine running Falkens, but then I take it easy for the first 5-10mins while the oil gets up to temp. Maybe get your tracking/allignment checked, my car felt 10x better once I had mine done :)

Cant say I get the same feeling with mine running Falkens, but then I take it easy for the first 5-10mins while the oil gets up to temp. Maybe get your tracking/allignment checked, my car felt 10x better once I had mine done :)

That's why it's never bothered me too much as I always take it easy as well to get everything up to temp. I'll probably get the tracking checked to be on the safe side.

Um... That's interesting. Sounds like you are experiencing the same effect as me. I have planned on replacing the fronts with Falkens after Christmas, and will get the tracking checked at the same time. As I said there is a fair amount of tread left on my Stones, so they should still be working.

I find it difficult to believe that it is caused by the tyre temperature changing over 1/2 mile of sedate driving. I have never noticed this effect with any of the many cars that I have driven, why should the Zed be different ?

Anyone with a tyre temperature gauge that they can loan me for an investigation ?

:wacko:

S.

I find it difficult to believe that it is caused by the tyre temperature changing over 1/2 mile of sedate driving. I have never noticed this effect with any of the many cars that I have driven, why should the Zed be different ?

Different cars react differently to tyre changes/temps/pressures.