350z GT4 Rev Up Engine - Power after Mods??

g60luke

Hey... :)

Anyone got any figures of the typical gains for mods to a Rev Up GT4 engine if you do any/all of the below?!

JWT PopCharger

Plenum Spacer

HiFlow Cats/Exhaust

Remap (Abbey/RSTuning?)

Would really be interested in the whole package really, and wonder what sort of gains there are in total.

Just about to change the filter on my GT4, and plenum is next. Hopint the exhaust will "fall off" soon so I can replace it!!! hehehe..

Then would go for a sports cat and exhaust, and a remap!!

Cheers

Luke

Gains at top end will be marginal. Maybe a few HP, upto about 10, maybe 15HP if you are lucky. What you will get is a much more responsive car and better mid range torque which will show day to day driving. Dont expect decent gains top end, they arent there ;)

Very hard Q to answer I think some of the tunes would be going hand in hand... say you only do a plenum spacer and gain 9hp if you then add pop charger and gain 4hp on top of that you might see that if you take of the plenum spacer you'd only gain 3hp etc. Not sure that was a good explenation but there you go :teeth:

My own experience in the area have seen a lot of effort and time for very little hp/torq increase my car was using haltech ecu and tuned with e5 (higher octane) so it was running like MENTAL, when I was able to get proper fuel that is... most of the time it was knocking and throwing up engine lights. I've now got a retune with RON95 and the car is producing a very low margin higher then before (torq higher though) but the car FEELS very different more driveable and more pull in the gears.

After the E5 tune I added on two race cats, custom exhaust system and kinetix ssv plenum not sure what they would give individually according to their traders but the custom exhaust deffo made the engine breath easier and so did the kinetix plenum and the race cats. < I think for an NA tune they all might be overkill but since I'm going FI (on the roadmap anyway) It will all play an important part later.

(SSV according to their site gives 30+hp (!) and the cats might give another 10 and possible 5-10 on the rest of the exhaust)

Btw, not saying that any of this is the law... more a what I feel / think in the matter. Please feel free to correct me and add your own input. :dance:

REALLY want to go down the E85 route....

A.

Thanks for those 2 answers guys, more informative ;)

Would not expect massive top end gains, more interseted in mid range punch which I feel the Z lacks for a bigger engined car... Pulls well enough if you drive it like you stole it!

Guess with more torque the fuel economy improves too since you aint gotta drive it so hard?!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Luke

If you have the revup engine I have read the single most effective bolt on mod is the 5/16" plenum spacer and lower "MREV" (might be called MREV2 now) and independent tests in the US have confirmed gains of at least 15-17 wheel hp and similar torque gains. I think (maybe wrong) the MREV is the "lower" plenum. It costs around £400 but for those kinds of gains I would do it if I had the revup engine. Motordyne Engineering tend to be the experts when it comes to this kind of mod. Its important to know the spacer on its own will have very little or no effect in the revup engine - you need the lower plenum MREV to get the gains. Z-store on here sell Motordyne stuff and come well recommended :)

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Hi Luke

If you have the revup engine I have read the single most effective bolt on mod is the 5/16" plenum spacer and lower "MREV" (might be called MREV2 now) and independent tests in the US have confirmed gains of at least 15-17 wheel hp and similar torque gains. I think (maybe wrong) the MREV is the "lower" plenum. It costs around £400 but for those kinds of gains I would do it if I had the revup engine. Motordyne Engineering tend to be the experts when it comes to this kind of mod. Its important to know the spacer on its own will have very little or no effect in the revup engine - you need the lower plenum MREV to get the gains. Z-store on here sell Motordyne stuff and come well recommended :)

Hope that helps. Good luck.

As a fellow rev up engine owner that's really helpful, I think a trip down to Envy in the New Year could be on the cards. :thumbs:

The Revup motor is the hardest 350z motor to find BHP/TORQUE from.

These cars as you find looking around on this forum , give more top end BHP than a DE early motor , but give a flatter torque curve but less torque than an early DE motor.

I feel we can give you a little better mile per gallon due to the cars being a touch rich on part throttle, we tweak the cams to give a little more bhp top end and more torque below 3000rpm.

US have confirmed gains of at least 15-17 wheel hp
definitely not I am afraid , I am speaking to Motordyne about the set up trying to get an idea what it does.

(SSV according to their site gives 30+hp (!) Kinetix S/S manifold
again dont think so , these seem to gain a little top end BHP but loss a little torque around the modrange on a DE motor not tried one on a Revup yet thou.

The 06 standard air filter box is the best out there I feel , only the Ignen and AEM will give a little more BHP but with more noise and modifications ( remove the passengers side washer bottle) and both can cause water ingress ( engine damage if deep enough water)

Not seen a Revup fitted with headers yet , but may do very soon.

On the Revup , I feel you need to loose the cats , good quality Y pipe , I feel the STD rear exhaust section will work okay , free flow element in the STD airbox , single piece flywheel and a good remap you make around 270/275 bhp @ the hubs up(approx 310 flywheel) from around 260ish stock hub bhp. And around 10 lb/ft through out the rev range. Throttle response will be greatly enchanced , MPG a little better , you can have multi maps on the Revup GT4 stock ECU,s (extra cost)

hope this all helps.

On the Revup , I feel you need to loose the cats , good quality Y pipe , I feel the STD rear exhaust section will work okay , free flow element in the STD airbox , single piece flywheel and a good remap you make around 270/275 bhp @ the hubs up(approx 310 flywheel) from around 260ish stock hub bhp. And around 10 lb/ft through out the rev range. Throttle response will be greatly enchanced , MPG a little better , you can have multi maps on the Revup GT4 stock ECU,s (extra cost)

hope this all helps.

Sounds like very useful info there Mark. Are you able to give similar tips for the earlier non-revup DE motor and what make the realistic gains?

Early 276 bhp cars like the normal stuff , better Y pipe, fit race cats or remove the cats, different exhaust if you want to , air filter element or air filter system for the noise. Good reflash.

I think a tuning package will be the best idea as we know what works and what doesnt , but I know some people like buying and fitting there own parts but this sometimes isnt the way to go and some parts in my opinon dont give any return.

Hey... :)

Anyone got any figures of the typical gains for mods to a Rev Up GT4 engine if you do any/all of the below?!

JWT PopCharger

Plenum Spacer

HiFlow Cats/Exhaust

Remap (Abbey/RSTuning?)

Would really be interested in the whole package really, and wonder what sort of gains there are in total.

Just about to change the filter on my GT4, and plenum is next. Hopint the exhaust will "fall off" soon so I can replace it!!! hehehe..

Then would go for a sports cat and exhaust, and a remap!!

Cheers

Luke

Luke,

look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=27916

2nd set of dyno plots are for a GT4 car , I am working on a car at the moment that will have a Motordyne MREV lower collector and we will try the car without any CATS as well soon so will have some more dyno plots.

I do know the car will gain around 5/8 bhp and 10 lb/ft of torque normally after removeing the cats as long as you put up with the noise :D