19" Wheel Question

Jacko

19 Wheel - Width Size  

12 members have voted

1. 1. 19 Wheel - Width Size

• 8.5" Front & 9.5" Rear
    • 9.5" Front & 10.5" Rear

Guys,

Let me ask a question, for those that have got 19" wheels on their Zed, did you end up with 8.5" Front and 9.5" Rear?

Or did you go the whole hog of 9.5" and 10.5"?? Just wondering who out there has gone for 9.5" and 10.5"?

Nick didn't you go for that size?

Just wondering what your views were on sizing vs handling on the width. Don't bother talking to me about 18" vs 19"s :p

I'll stick a poll up as well, but please only add a vote if you have detailed knowledge or experience as don't want it to be skewed etc. :blush:

Cheers chaps,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

you made an irrelevant connection between width and "height" of a wheel.

width on a 18" wheel can be exactly the same as a 19" (I assume you keep the tyre profile to be within oem specs to avoid errors in speed reading)

also need to bear in mind the offset of the specific model you are getting in order to clear the Brembos.

I voted 9.5F and 10.5R, but they'll be heavier than the other option, mind you in getting 19" you might as well go the whole hog B)

Before I can vote you need to be clear what you criteria is, i.e. do you want looks or performance. Then it's simple

Kev,

I want looks, without impairing performance significantly or having to modify wings etc through rubbing etc. I was under the impression that the larger wheels would clear ok without issue.....

Just that when my order is going through, Rays have come back and said that they recommend the 8.5 & 9.5. I guess that is optimum for the car, but just want to make sure that by having larger wheels (which is what is currently ordered) that I'm not going to have issues......

Mark,

you made an irrelevant connection between width and "height" of a wheel.

width on a 18" wheel can be exactly the same as a 19" (I assume you keep the tyre profile to be within oem specs to avoid errors in speed reading)

also need to bear in mind the offset of the specific model you are getting in order to clear the Brembos.

I voted 9.5F and 10.5R, but they'll be heavier than the other option, mind you in getting 19" you might as well go the whole hog B)

Val, yeah I recognise that width can still be the same and I wasn't making a connection like that. I will be keeping tyres within specs to avoid over reading.

Also, offsets are being taken into account with the brembo's just that there are 4 or 5 different offsets that will clear the brembos..... waiting on Rays to confirm through the supplier.

I wanted to go for 9.5 & 10.5 as like you say, might as well go the whole hog as long as I can and don't get any major issues. I mean, this car is my daily drive etc......

you won't get any major issues. mine are 9 and 10 btw

Good. They might look mighty wide for now, but will look better when I get that Do-Luck kit on! (eventually) :teeth:

Other comments still welcome..... B)

Mark,

Val is right, offsets are so important. I would go 9.5 / 10.5 but not with Rays offsets personally. These will be +22 all round and on standard ride hieght will stick out the arch about 1.4 inch. Depends whether you like that look.

I went 9 / 10.5 with a +25 and +29. These are perfect, but you won't get these offsets from Rays.

IMHO 9 / 10's are best. They are lighter and fill the arches nicely. The only wheel I know which comes in this is the PIAA Super Rozza. Very similar design to Val's Work wheels. They are +25 front and back so the rears are pretty close to my Work +29 in terms of how they fill the arch.

I've got loads of pictures of Rays, so there's a particular wheel you like I may have a picture I can post.

So I've stil not voted. Too many variables..:lol:

Mark,

Val is right, offsets are so important. I would go 9.5 / 10.5 but not with Rays offsets personally. These will be +22 all round and on standard ride hieght will stick out the arch about 1.4 inch. Depends whether you like that look.

I went 9 / 10.5 with a +25 and +29. These are perfect, but you won't get these offsets from Rays.

IMHO 9 / 10's are best. They are lighter and fill the arches nicely. The only wheel I know which comes in this is the PIAA Super Rozza. Very similar design to Val's Work wheels. They are +25 front and back so the rears are pretty close to my Work +29 in terms of how they fill the arch.

I've got loads of pictures of Rays, so there's a particular wheel you like I may have a picture I can post.

Kev, let me try to clear this up....

I've already ordered the wheels in 9.5" & 10.5 as I really want one certain set.

Rays wheels don't only come in +22 according to the catalogue (well the ones I'm getting don't).

The supplier is waiting for "best offset" but I can get the following offsets in the right wheel/size. They have come back and recommended the smaller wheels.....

For 10.5": -15, +5, +17, +30

For 9.5": -9, +5, +17, +30, +42

Now the standard Rays on Zed are +30 front and +33 rear.

So from what you are saying, i could go for a +30 rear and either a +17 or +30 front?? What would be best there then?

Alternatively, I could go with a 8.5" front and have offsets of:

-2, +11, +23, +36.

So if I went for the smaller wheels, then you are saying that +23 & +30 would be best?

On standard ride height (at the mo) I don't want them to stick out a mile and look cheesy crap, or get pulled by the rozzers etc......

So now what you think? :D

Give us a call later. I would also consider looking for pictures of cars with the same wheels say on my350z.com which is what I did.

You've seen my car and now you know the offsets, so if you lkike they way they look you could work out what offset would be best. On a +30 for the rear that should be fine. But don't forget: -

1. You need to clear the brembos

2. The inside rim needs to clear the hub etc.

For this reason it is worth finding pictures as proof they will fit.

Cheers

K

Mark,

I've already ordered the wheels in 9.5" & 10.5 as I really want one certain set.

Rays wheels don't only come in +22 according to the catalogue (well the ones I'm getting don't).

The supplier is waiting for "best offset" but I can get the following offsets in the right wheel/size. They have come back and recommended the smaller wheels.....

So from what you are saying, i could go for a +30 rear and either a +17 or +30 front?? What would be best there then?

-2, +11, +23, +36.

So if I went for the smaller wheels, then you are saying that +23 & +30 would be best?

On standard ride height (at the mo) I don't want them to stick out a mile and look cheesy crap, or get pulled by the rozzers etc......

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

Mark,

Just PM'd you.

In summary, let me find some pictures of 8.5 / 9.5 Rays with a +22 offset.

Cheers

K

Yeah replied, but as I said..... they don't do these wheels with a +22 offset. Every wheel model for rays has differing offset options...... the wheels I'm getting have the above.

:blush:

-2, +11, +23, +36.

I might be making this too complicated. If the standard 18" Rays on my car now are +30 and +30, then seeing as I can get the same offset in the 9.5" front and 10.5 rear...... then is this not the choice to make?

God, I think I am confusing myself now! :headhurt:

I have some new wheels arriving tomorrow

19 x 9.5 front with a 25 offset 19 x 10 rear with a 20 offset

plenty of evidence they won't stick out 1" 1/4 or rub the arches Kev.

Wheels are Lexion's made by Rays.

Tyre sizes will also affect rubbing etc.

I am going for Toyo's as they are less rounded than other makes.

255/35/19 front 285/35/19 rear hope this helps.

I have some new wheels arriving tomorrow

19 x 9.5 front with a 25 offset 19 x 10 rear with a 20 offset

plenty of evidence they won't stick out 1" 1/4 or rub the arches Kev.

Wheels are Lexion's made by Rays.

Tyre sizes will also affect rubbing etc.

I am going for Toyo's as they are less rounded than other makes.

255/35/19 front 285/35/19 rear hope this helps.

These are 10 rears though not 10.5. I said +22 on a 10.5 will stick out about 1/4 inch. A +20 on a 10 inch rim is the same as +26.25 on a 10.5, so less than 3 mm more offset than my +29 10.5's.

These are 10 rears though not 10.5. I said +22 on a 10.5 will stick out about 1/4 inch. A +20 on a 10 inch rim is the same as +26.25 on a 10.5, so less than 3 mm more offset than my +29 10.5's.

You are of course correct sir. :teeth:

But no mention of 10's in the original post ,just giving an alternative. ;)

You are of course correct sir. :teeth:

But no mention of 10's in the original post ,just giving an alternative. ;)

I did originally say the size I though perfect was indeed 9 front / 10 rears with a +25 offset, which is what Piaa Super Rozza's come in, see piccy.

Yes but to be honest Kev, I'm still confused why you are stuck on this +22 when as I said in the middle of the posts, that is not any of the offsets available for this wheel.

I listed all the available offsets..... None of them are +22 :blush:

I could go +30 on the back, its just the front that I'm not sure of :-

Offsets for 9.5": -9, +5, +17, +30, +42

Offsets for 8.5": -2, +11, +23, +36

So i go back to what I said, would +30 and +30 be fine on 9.5" front and 10.5 rear? :blush:

Yes but to be honest Kev, I'm still confused why you are stuck on this +22 when as I said in the middle of the posts, that is not any of the offsets available for this wheel.

I listed all the available offsets..... None of them are +22 :blush:

I could go +30 on the back, its just the front that I'm not sure of :-

Offsets for 9.5": -9, +5, +17, +30, +42

Offsets for 8.5": -2, +11, +23, +36

So i go back to what I said, would +30 and +30 be fine on 9.5" front and 10.5 rear? :blush:

Well comparing with my Works, which I thought were spot on and you've seen them in the flesh, so if you like the look:-

Fronts - Well on my Works I had +25 with a 9 inch rim and that looked fine. That's equivalent to +31.25 on a 9.5 inch rim so +30 will stick out 1.25mm more than my fronts on the works, so should look fine.

Rears - I had +29 on my Works so a +30 will be 1mm further in the arch which should also look fine.

Hope this helps