Steering Vibration - When stationary!

AndyRigby

I've recently had a non start issue on the 350 shown in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=

To cut a long story short it was a problem with the IDPM unit, but before the dealer diagnosed this they stripped the dash completely and removed the BCM & ECU.

The car now starts but has gone straight back into the dealer as the steering is now vibrating on its own - almost like it cant find its center and is hunting.

The dealer put the car up on the ramp and with the wheels free from the floor the steering rack will start vibrating with the wheels & steering wheel bouncing back and forth. There is no play between the wheels/rack or steering wheel

He checked the PS pump & lines and no leaks were there, pressure is ok, and the pump is working fine, no noises etc. They touched nothing under the bonnet while doing the repair and i've never had a single vibration while driving the car in the past.

The fault has got to be electrical caused by something they have done while removing the dash.

Is there anything electrical which will cause the steering to act up - almost as if it dosn't know where to center?

Appreciate your time reading this.

Thanks Andy

Ouch thats really odd? Its got to be just the pump and nothing else ??

Is the engine idling properly - thats not shaking and shaking the steering if you know what I mean??

I am sure Alex (aka The Hoff ;) ) will be along soon with words of advice what he does'nt know about them is'nt worth writing on a stamp! :D

As with some Nissan Stealers Andy it is always something they forgot to put back together properly! Not hooking up the angle positioning sensor is wild to say the least and even worse when they turn around and say 'must have already been like this' or 'we have checked everything'!

When you called me asking for the obvious places Nissan should check I felt seriously bad for you! They should have at least 1 Trained Nissan Tech that knows 350z's! I am guessing the reason they didn't charge you much was because you had to tell them what to do and how to fix it. I would write a letter to the senior guy at the dealershit sorry Dealership and to Nissan GB about the service you received here.

I'm glad it got sorted out but Jesus just imagine if they threw an ECU at the original problem!

Rant now over and I am staying off the coffee for the rest of the day.

I'm glad I could help mate and hope you get to use and enjoy the car now :thumbs: