Car wont start - UPDATE: Now Sorted :)

AndyRigby

Was out in the 350 yesterday and parked up last night.

Today it wont start. Battery is fine, car turns over fast but it wont catch.

Turning the ignition on and there is no priming sound from the fuel pump.

The rad fans also come on as soon as the ignition is on.

I've tried both my keys with no luck.

I guess somehow the keys are no longer sync'd to the immobiliser, although I have no idea how this has happened - car locks/unlocks fine, and has never had any problems in the past.

Anything I can try?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No without the clutch it wont turn over. That still works, I depress the clutch and the engine turns over like normal. Just wont start :(

may be fuel pump then as you suggested. Maybe worth getting the AA/RAC or a auto electrician round to have a look.

possibly reset the ECU? I dont know much about this though :lol:

Thanks cookiemonster for the ECU tip and for the other forum posters who provided the process.

I suffered a similar go, no-go condition this weekend... Saturday morning would not start, strong crank, but no spark.

Logged on this evening, found Andy's posting and a some great responses and thankfully I'm up and running.

I hope Andy gets sorted... however my fuel pump was definitely being primed... I guess I just had a confused ECU.

Thanks all, I hope I can help others as you have helped me.

Cheers

Karl

This guy had the same problem as you and the ECU reset fixed it straight away. Read the last message :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90

Thanks Cookie, mine is slightly different though, my fuel pump wont prime. I'm told that the ECU isn't getting the OK from the other systems that it is ok to start the car. Which is why i'm hoping it may be the keys?

Both my radiators come on straight away (again indicating an ECU problem), and the red light on top of the dash (alarm light) is permanently on when the key is in the ON position - solid red.

Looks like its going into Nissan tomorrow :(

Another thing to add. When the ignition is set to 'ON' neither mine nor the AA's OBDC computer could connect to the ECU to check for faults.

So the ECU is definately not powering up for whatever reason. Hence why I cant do an ECU reset, there is no ECU 'MAL' light on the dash

Another thing to add. When the ignition is set to 'ON' neither mine nor the AA's OBDC computer could connect to the ECU to check for faults.

So the ECU is definately not powering up for whatever reason. Hence why I cant do an ECU reset, there is no ECU 'MAL' light on the dash

Ahh more clear now :thumbs:

Looking at the Nissan guide for reprogramming the NATS code into my keys it would seem I have found my problem. My alarm light is on solid etc, which all ties down to the NATS.

So I now have the NATS code from my dealer, all I now need is someone local with a Consult II computer to help me out :)

So car went into the dealer yesterday. They couldn't connect their computer to it, and today have said it needs a new ECU for £1700!

In no way do I think they have had time to check the wiring diagram into the ECU, and are pulling this diagnosis out of their arse because its easy.

Where do I go from here? Is there anything (hidden fuse) etc they could have missed which could be causing this? I remember once on an old Ford that it the interior light fuse went it would also disable the ECU! Can it be something similar on the 350z?

Thanks Andy

wasn't nurrish selling an ECU which was already tuned by RStuning or something. for about £400, so all you'd need to do is get it programmed to your car.

the retune by RS would set you back about £380-£450 so think of it as buying a retune that fixes your car. :lol: