What type of coolant do I need to buy?

matth76

Hi

Just opened up bonnet, car is cold, and noticed my antifreeze/coolant is just below minimum level so I need to top it up pretty soon. I have a Halfords down my road so would like to get some ready mixed coolant. Please can anyone tell me what type/make I should buy?

Thank you for any help.

Ok thanks. Is it ok to drive for the next few days until I get a chance to pop into Nissan? It was serviced about four weeks ago so surprised it was at the min mark although it was quite cold last night and I know it expands when hot, so being low after a cold night is not a bad thing. My coolant is the green one (as I know you can get different colours).

Ok thanks. Is it ok to drive for the next few days until I get a chance to pop into Nissan? It was serviced about four weeks ago so surprised it was at the min mark although it was quite cold last night and I know it expands when hot, so being low after a cold night is not a bad thing. My coolant is the green one (as I know you can get different colours).

If Nissan did the service 4 weeks ago then when you get chance just pop it back in (maybe wise to ring first) and get it checked out and topped up. They shouldn't charge you for it.

It was serviced about four weeks ago so surprised it was at the min mark although it was quite cold last night and I know it expands when hot, so being low after a cold night is not a bad thing.
Presuming you had it serviced at a dealer, even if you didn't they should have checked and dealt to accordingly if it was low. What about giving them a little memory jog. Changes are you've already paid for it, but they just forgot to fill it, or chose to forget.

Yes it was done at a main dealer and I remember it being quite low after the service but not below the min mark so left it at that. I will definitely let them know about it though.

Does Halfords sell the green coolant (just so I can top it up) because bit worried bout driving to work tomorrow (30 mile round trip) with it being so low?

nissan stuff does the job fine, not sure about mixing, but maybe put a splash in just to get you to minimum, and then ask them to drain the sytem and refill with fresh coolant then there would be no issue.

knowing nissan they will probably nod say um hm and then just top it up ontop of the old stuff anyway :blush:

• 5 months later...

You say its only 4.50 per litre then they added the VAT of 5 quid!! (fleeced) :blackeye:

just wondering im only wanting to top up the reserve and the bloke at nissan said i could pour the hole bottle in, its concentrated!, should i just go with the 50/50 or pour it all in? :bounce: