Exhaust Blowing

3Fiddy

Afternoon chaps,

Today is a day of rage... :rant:

My 04 48k mile Z has developed a blowing sound from the exhaust. It now sounds like a tortured sea lion instead of the usual disgruntled lion. I took it to Crewe Nissan and apparently the join between the mid section and rear section has rusted through and is now leaking!

On inspection you can clearly see the nice shinny stainless steel exhaust pipes and the offending dark brown rusted join that is causing the leak. I can’t quite believe the difference in the condition of the metal. It’s like they made the join out of iron which has been left in the sea for a few months!

Now for the rage part... Nissan want £491 for a new rear section, mid section and labour. I have an extended warranty that doesn’t cover exhausts and I was wandering what my options are. The join between the mid section and the front section is equally rusted and looks like it could be on its way out as well.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I’m going to take it to a local garage and get a comparative quote but I thought I would ask the experts before signing up for a spanking from Nissan.

Any advice much appreciated.

Jay

First, dont buy anything from the dealer.

Plenty of people have had this and many have had it welded. There are also lots of members with second hand exhausts lying around. Stick a post in the wanted section if you choose this option.

You can get a Scorpion system for £360 from the traders. The Milltek is only £745 at the moment.

Excellent, sounds like welding or putty are good options, I'll give that a go.

New system is definitely on the cards when the warranty expires so the weld will only have to hold for 11 months.

BTW loving the waves/thumbs up from the other Cheshire Z drivers. :thumbs:

Cheers

Afternoon chaps,

Today is a day of rage... :rant:

My 04 48k mile Z has developed a blowing sound from the exhaust. It now sounds like a tortured sea lion instead of the usual disgruntled lion. I took it to Crewe Nissan and apparently the join between the mid section and rear section has rusted through and is now leaking!

On inspection you can clearly see the nice shinny stainless steel exhaust pipes and the offending dark brown rusted join that is causing the leak. I can’t quite believe the difference in the condition of the metal. It’s like they made the join out of iron which has been left in the sea for a few months!

Now for the rage part... Nissan want £491 for a new rear section, mid section and labour. I have an extended warranty that doesn’t cover exhausts and I was wandering what my options are. The join between the mid section and the front section is equally rusted and looks like it could be on its way out as well.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I’m going to take it to a local garage and get a comparative quote but I thought I would ask the experts before signing up for a spanking from Nissan.

Any advice much appreciated.

Jay

someone else today also has same problem. Common with age viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29400

How is it that I, too, had exactly the same thing happen to me today? :(

Mine's completely come off at the join between the rear and the front (pretty much directly in line with the rear wheels. To me it looks like a pretty straight-forward weld. Any ideas on how much it would cost to weld and/or reliability?

This has to be the no1 most common failure on a zed, especially on cars over 4 yrs old. :thumbdown:

1; NEVER buy an exhaust from the stealers. Forget kwik fit and the like, as they don't do exhausts for the Z.

2; If moneys tight then see if it can be welded, or look for a 2nd hand box on here or ebay etc, around £30 to £100.

3; Buy a stainless steel system from one of the many traders on here, prices ranging from £300 to how deep are your pockets :lol:

Mine is currently in mid-air, exhaustless while join is being welded. My local garage will reinforce the join with plates as well. All in all it's 5 times cheaper than fitting a scorpion, which was the alternative I was considering. I'll probably fit one of them in the future at some point anyhow.