Top gear-5pm-dave

scottsoulby

Watched this last night and Clarkson really gets on my nerves sometimes.

How can he possibly complain about the noise the 350z makes, it's the best sounding car I have ever owned.

And can someone more knowledgeable put this right or not, he mentions the engine is from Renault but one of my mates said this to me a while back and when I done a bit of searching I found that Nissan and Renault formed a partnership but Renault got access to Nissans petrol engines and Nissan got access to Renaults diesel engines not the other way round.

So am I right in saying that the engine used in the 350z is a true Nissan engine?

Ahhh i dunno i love the way Clarkson picks on things little things and makes a massive deal about them. We all know the Z is an ace car however he does have a couple of good points imo. Nothing that deserved that kind of backlash but its all for entertainment isnt it? Its funny to watch him rip into cars i dont own :-) so i can let him off with this one. He gave the 370 a decent review tho :-)

Also if i remember rightly Top Gear mag/online or something rated the Z quite highly.

Clarkson for Prime Minister :yahoo:

Ahhh i dunno i love the way Clarkson picks on things little things and makes a massive deal about them. We all know the Z is an ace car however he does have a couple of good points imo. Nothing that deserved that kind of backlash but its all for entertainment isnt it? Its funny to watch him rip into cars i dont own :-) so i can let him off with this one. He gave the 370 a decent review tho :-)

Also if i remember rightly Top Gear mag/online or something rated the Z quite highly.

Clarkson for Prime Minister :yahoo:

I thought he slated the 370z too ? :bang:

So am I right in saying that the engine used in the 350z is a true Nissan engine?

Nope, its a renault engine. and a good one too :thumbs:

Where did you find this out because the VQ is a Nissan engine range which started in 1994 and Nissan didn't start their relationship until 1999 and everywhere I search it states it's a Nissan engine.

And most post this same info on the VQ35DE:-

The 3.5 L (3498 cc) VQ35DE is used in many modern Nissan vehicles. It has a bore of 95.5 mm and stroke of 81.4 mm. It uses the same block found in the VQ30DE, but adds variable valve timing. Power output ranges from 231 PS (228 hp/170 kW) to 302 PS (298 hp/222 kW) and torque from 334 N·m (246 ft·lbf) to 363 N·m (268 ft·lbf).

The VQ35DE is built in Iwaki and Decherd, TN. It was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list from 2002 through to 2007. It features forged steel connecting rods, a microfinished one-piece cast camshaft, and Nissan's nylon intake manifold technology. It has low-friction molybdenum-coated pistons and the intake system is a high-flow tuned induction system.

It's a nissan engine.....

I know wiki isn't entirely reliable but look at the list of cars they appear in. Does it look like it was developed by renault?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

and taken from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Renault_engines

Main article: Nissan VQ engine

The V engine is Renault's internal designation for the Nissan VQ engine, an overhead camshaft V6 used in the Vel Satis sedan and Espace minivan. The V designation is also used for an unrelated diesel V6 engine jointly developed by Renault and Nissan, used in the Renault Laguna coupé and designated V9X.

* V4Y: 3498 cc

* V9X: 2993 cc