Plenum Polishing

Zednick666

Hi all, I'm considering taking Friday off work with the intention of doing a few little jobs on the car while I'm at it, one of which being to polish up the plenum.

I've had a search through topics and found a few before & afters etc. but no specific guides detailing the how to & a key point for me being timescale; can it be done in a day?

I'm no engine whizz, but I'll work my way through and have a good go with the right advice :blush:

So... method in mind is having removed the plenum (simple job??), initially using a wire brush to cut into the surface / remove any crap and thinking a wire attachment for the drill for bolt holes etc, then starting with heavier sand paper & getting finer as I go along....

Does that sound about right? Any special precautions I should take / anything I'm missing?

Cheers in advance guys :thumbs:

i did this myself, taking the plenum off is a simple job, only takes 20 mins,

as for the poilishing, i vowed never to do it again, its a real ball ache and takes ages, personally, and i know its not the advice you was after, but take it to a polishers, youll be much happier with the finish and they will get to all the points you cant

i started.... and then stopped, as scott says, its not fun and takes forever. i plan to either get it done professionally or powder coat it professionally. if your up for a challenge great :thumbs: you can buy them pre done, i remember seeing one at 140 i think???

DONT DO IT YOURSELF :lol::lol:

i also spent ages doing one (and a forture on sanding and polishing materials)

was giving it the final polish and only then did it show up lost of fine scratches :rant::rant:

you wont manage it in a day, my advice is to buy another plenum and give it to a polishers to do

that being said i have a part polished plenum for sale :lol:

Paul

You lot are a moaning bunch!!

I did mine myself .... Well everything that is polished in my engine bay has been done by me :teeth:

Photo964.jpg

Photo958.jpg

Yes I know the front timing cover needs alot more work but that is progressing!

Dan

You need to get out more, Dan! :lol: